World Cup 2018

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Oh, and if it wasn't already obvious enough, tonight really highlighted just how much of a f*ck-up it was to have Harry Kane on corner-taking duty at the last tournament.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am

A win is a win. I have huge issues with the shape and 11 selected.

That team isn't going to compete with better sides and I hope Southgate realises this. Need to find a new way to play against the top sides if we want to progress.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 am

Almost the architects of our own down fall last night.
I see we still suffer tunnel vision when passing around from the back, there are two sides to a football pitch ya know.
Oh and Stirling................... :hang:
Still, at least we won.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:46 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 am
Almost the architects of our own down fall last night.
I see we still suffer tunnel vision when passing around from the back, there are two sides to a football pitch ya know.
Oh and Stirling................... :hang:
Still, at least we won.
I mean that is what happens when you play a right footed left wing back. That is total madness. Young isn't even very good. No idea what Southgate is thinking there. Perhaps Rose isn't fit enough?

Another concern is given we had the ball for so long why did we look more tired than them?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 pm

Never thought I'd see the day, I'd be calling a Tunisian, a cheating ginger pr*ck.

'kin ginger bloke playing for a North African country. Game's gone mad
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:18 pm

The Game - young was fine, but I'd like more pace there. We've got other players who can take set-pieces, so I'd give Rose a run against Panama

Sterling is clearly gifted and plays tremendously for City, but whenever he plays for England, it's like he's got his boots on the wrong feet. Take him out of the spot light for a game and start Rashford.

Alli looked like he had a knock and wasn't effective. Great player and gets into fantastic positions, but I'd play Cheek ahead of him against Panama. Really gets you on the edge of your seat that lad, but despite being a bit wasteful, really gets defenders turned round and towards their own goals. Big fan

We played well. Thought the second half was slipping away from us, but Kane to the rescue. Great to see a World Class player winning games for us, instead of against us. Dragged us through with a fantastic header. Our own Ronaldo?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:32 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 pm
Never thought I'd see the day, I'd be calling a Tunisian, a cheating ginger pr*ck.
'kin ginger bloke playing for a North African country. Game's gone mad
Gave me a good laugh that B.B....well done.. :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:15 pm

Picture without words... :lol:
Attachments
spag.jpg
spag.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 3306 times

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Senegal playing some entertaining stuff against an awful Poland side.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:31 pm
They just beat them 2-1, and earlier Japan beat Colombia. Senegal were full of energy and I'm not sure Poland's goal wasn't offside.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 pm
jmjhb wrote:
They just beat them 2-1, and earlier Japan beat Colombia. Senegal were full of energy and I'm not sure Poland's goal wasn't offside.
It wasn;t.. They review them in the background

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Pharaohs holding the Cossacks 0-0 at half time, although I get the feeling it won't stay that way.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 pm
jmjhb wrote:
Senegals 2nd goal was outrageous! Letting an injured bloke back onto the pitch just as they're on the attack. Very fortunate/unlucky
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Sorry to see Morocco go out today. Can't deny the goal Ronaldo scored as being a cracker, but that apart Morocco had most of the game and were really unlucky to be going home. Shame, good game and Ronaldo scarcely got a look in. Luis "Gnasher" Suarez sent Uraguay through when I'd have loved to see them lose. Some real clogging and dodgy decisions going on all round.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:17 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:02 pm
Sorry to see Morcco go out today. Can't deny the goal Ronaldo scored as being a cracker, but that apart Morocco had most of the game and were really unlucky to be going home. Shame, good game and Ronaldo scarcely got a look in. Luis "Gnasher" Suarez sent Uraguay through when I'd have loved to see them lose. Some real clogging and dodgy decisions going on all round.
Agree. Morocco are a good striker away from having a really tough side.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 am

Spain didn't have a cake-walk against Iran either. Costa's goal was a pure fluke, the defender cleared the ball that hit Costa's shins and rebounded into the net. Iran really tried and played well. Nice to see there are no really poor teams in the tournament and the lower rated sides are giving some of the superstars a tough ride. Really good World Cup so far.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 am

So far,for me anyway, no stand out team over there yet.
On the two viewings of Spain, I doubt they will win it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:59 am

Hoboh wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 am
So far,for me anyway, no stand out team over there yet.
On the two viewings of Spain, I doubt they will win it.
Should be a bit easier to assess after Sunday. Some of it looks predictable, but you never know. Both Iran and Morocco made good showings and were a bit unlucky really. Effectively, Denmark, Argentina and France should win today...but stranger things have happened. We shall see, no doubt. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:08 am

Saudi and Panama ae dreadful, and Nigeria aren't far off. Otherwise though, yep, no bad teams.

Not been particularly good for me though, defences very much on top. It's a lot easier to get a team of semi-strangers organised enough to be tough to break down than it is to get the patterns of play and cohesion to break those teams down. It's why international football for me is miles of the pinnacle of the game. Far too much of this tournament has been better players huffing and puffing and getting nowhere against well-organised but limited teams.

On the plus side though I suppose is the fact that it's coming home, so...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Really enjoyed that. In Dublin, hipster craft ale bar watching the hipster team best the Argies. Final whistle, cut straight to Evita, even the Irish hate then. Diego crying again. Mwah.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.