Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Deathly quiet from all concerned today. Bit worrying given time is ticking slowly by here.

I will be amazed if we spend any cash on a transfer fee now and the best frees are mainly gone/going. Bit of a problem developing here.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:02 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:14 pm
As a general thing, my view is that the starting 11 is 5 players off being a good Championship side. A centre back, left back, midfielder who can pass a ball, winger and striker are all needed to strengthen our 11. As Parky has said, the squad needs 7. My expectation is that Parky may feel he doesn't need that starting midfielder and he needs 4 players for his 11. It's hard to see him wanting fewer.

We're now about 3 weeks shy of the deadline. Things need to happen. Whoever Anderson is after, he needs to pull his finger out.
I don't have confidence in KenAn or LeeAn to get the job done. They gleefully let everyone (13) go to get wages (and obviously bonuses) off the books. Talked the talk- that's why I've been keeping track of it all the lies - but only signed four to replace 13.
I'll bet he's bricking it at Wyke's fee. Probably blame it on the player strike. Where's Capel, Joao?
That's the other reason you end up with loanees, inept management.
What could've happened; did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:07 pm

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:02 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
As a general thing, my view is that the starting 11 is 5 players off being a good Championship side. A centre back, left back, midfielder who can pass a ball, winger and striker are all needed to strengthen our 11. As Parky has said, the squad needs 7. My expectation is that Parky may feel he doesn't need that starting midfielder and he needs 4 players for his 11. It's hard to see him wanting fewer.

We're now about 3 weeks shy of the deadline. Things need to happen. Whoever Anderson is after, he needs to pull his finger out.
I don't have confidence in KenAn or LeeAn to get the job done. They gleefully let everyone (13) go to get wages (and obviously bonuses) off the books. Talked the talk- that's why I've been keeping track of it all the lies - but only signed four to replace 13.
I'll bet he's bricking it at Wyke's fee. Probably blame it on the player strike. Where's Capel, Joao?
That's the other reason you end up with loanees, inept management.
Not sure it is that simple. Signing foreign players on frees is risky. Most are shite. I'd not be overjoyed with Spanish free agents rocking up here who haven't played in the championship.

I think the quality so far has been reasonable and what we released wasn't good enough. We need to boost the numbers and quality and I think doing that does take some time.

But we're not the only club doing this and players have options.

We have nothing special to offer and given our financial situation are at the back of the queue.

We do need to progress this week though otherwise I fear it means we're missing out on our top targets.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm

My understanding is that the new lads have been told we are aiming to be back in the Premier League in 2-3 years (I think Olkowski's agent said as much). Given that, they'll be expecting us to make signings. Nobody thinks the current squad is anywhere near at the moment. Top half is doable this season if we have a superb transfer window. Even a decent window could be lower midtable. If we are battling relegation again then I don't imagine new players who have been told we want to go to the Prem will be too happy.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:01 am

"A couple of good loan signings would be great. If we try to sign one or two more players and then use the loan system to do all the rest of the work then I don't see it going well."
The difference between you and I is: above is exactly what will happen. About what I expected. While you're still thinking we can build a team the 'right way' with the wrong management and an even worse budget and reputation.

Now it's last drinks. You've got your import beer goggles focussed on the foreign hot chick Miss Table, ignoring the fact she's surrounded by a pack of posh blokes. While I'm in the corner flirting with the ugly & unpopular Ryleigh Gation. Great Expectations vs Realistic expectations. Dickens vs Dickens Cider.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:29 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:16 pm
My understanding is that the new lads have been told we are aiming to be back in the Premier League in 2-3 years (I think Olkowski's agent said as much). Given that, they'll be expecting us to make signings. Nobody thinks the current squad is anywhere near at the moment. Top half is doable this season if we have a superb transfer window. Even a decent window could be lower midtable. If we are battling relegation again then I don't imagine new players who have been told we want to go to the Prem will be too happy.
I actually laughed out loud when I first read that in the Bolton News. Honest Ken strikes again. Other players can't be that gullible.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

For the starting 11, I think we'll get 3. Striker approx on par with Madine. A new left back - probably on loan - and left wing too although likely only on a par with Buckley.
Think Hobbs might be the centreback. Not what we need but still a 'name'. I think a centre mid is most important but don't get the feeling they do. Should have signed Ekpan or Paul Gallagher or had a real red-hot go at David Meyler
Last edited by mullayo on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:46 pm

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:27 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:01 am

"A couple of good loan signings would be great. If we try to sign one or two more players and then use the loan system to do all the rest of the work then I don't see it going well."
The difference between you and I is: above is exactly what will happen. About what I expected. While you're still thinking we can build a team the 'right way' with the wrong management and an even worse budget and reputation.

Now it's last drinks. You've got your import beer goggles focussed on the foreign hot chick Miss Table, ignoring the fact she's surrounded by a pack of posh blokes. While I'm in the corner flirting with the ugly & unpopular Ryleigh Gation. Great Expectations vs Realistic expectations. Dickens vs Dickens Cider.
What I expect and what I think needs to happen are not necessarily the same. As I said before in this thread, we are signing better players than I expected and have got some business done before I expected. My expectations were always low.

Our rep is actually pretty good and our manager's rep is very good within the game. Nobody expected us to go straight back up, but PP took us up. Then the general view was we'd go straight back down, PP kept us up. Players see PP bringing on Madine and him getting a £6mil move and think "I'll have some of that." Ozzy had options (including Wigan, I'm told), but came here because he wants to be a Premier League player and thinks this is the club that can make him one. There's far more media interest in Bolton than some other clubs and agents know that a player doing well here will get his name in the Sun, Mirror, BBC and MEN reports.

IF PP actually believes he can build a side that can challenge over the next couple of seasons, good. The manager has to be the most ambitious person in any football club. When Sam got here he immediately targeted promotion and once up he was looking at Europe. There's no point being in a division if you don't aim to eventually have a real go. I want a manager and squad who want to win things, but who also have the work ethic to do what needs to be done to give themselves a chance.

If we always say that realism means we have to constantly work to avoid relegation then we will eventually get relegated. We'll sign whoever comes available and end up with dross. At the moment, we're actually signing the kinds of players I, as a fan, want us to sign. Whether they work out is another issue, but I'm all for ambition. After all, all the posh blokes flirting with the hot girl end up looking the same...maybe she fancies a bit of rough?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:58 pm

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:41 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

For the starting 11, I think we'll get 3. Striker approx on par with Madine. A new left back - probably on loan - and left wing too although likely only on a par with Buckley.
Think Hobbs might be the centreback. Not what we need but still a 'name'. I think a centre mid is most important but don't get the feeling they do. Should have signed Ekpan or Paul Gallagher or had a real red-hot go at David Meyler
Ekpan and Meyler aren't the sorts we need in, for me. If we are after a busy, tackling mid then Lowe will be that guy. If we are after box-to-box then it'll be Vela. If we want a ball-carrier then it's Ozzy. What we are missing from the mix is a lad who can pass the ball, reliably, over 30 yards and can slot a pass between defenders. Passing mids who can cut it in the Championship's "kick him until he breaks" matches are like hen's teeth and it'll be the toughest player to find, in my view anyway.

Low and Vela handle it by kicking back. Ozzy handles it by not being there when the tackle comes in...one and two touch footy keeps him out of the rough stuff. If PP has identified a proper passing mid who can deal with the division, I'll be thrilled. If he's already got his 3 in midfield, as you think he might (I agree) then fair enough.

He's right that striker is the main one. After that we'll see.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:46 pm
If we always say that realism means we have to constantly work to avoid relegation then we will eventually get relegated. We'll sign whoever comes available and end up with dross. At the moment, we're actually signing the kinds of players I, as a fan, want us to sign. Whether they work out is another issue, but I'm all for ambition. After all, all the posh blokes flirting with the hot girl end up looking the same...maybe she fancies a bit of rough?
I'm happy-ish with the four players we have signed. But it's baby steps for me. We got 13 players off the books that couldn't cut it. This year is about survival league and financial and finding some actual players. We've lowered the overall age, cut corners on wages.
Three or four more signings and some loanees and I think we're done. Being younger, faster, more attacking might just be enough to save us. As people have pointed out - you can tread water in this league and watch other teams drown.
Next year we will have a nucleus, new owners hopefully and make a charge.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:10 pm

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:01 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:46 pm
I'm happy-ish with the four players we have signed. But it's baby steps for me. We got 13 players off the books that couldn't cut it. This year is about survival league and financial and finding some actual players. We've lowered the overall age, cut corners on wages.
Three or four more signings and some loanees and I think we're done. Being younger, faster, more attacking might just be enough to save us. As people have pointed out - you can tread water in this league and watch other teams drown.
Next year we will have a nucleus, new owners hopefully and make a charge.
The better we do in the league the more likely we are to get a new owner. It's not like a long line of Bolton fans are looking to buy the club. Anyone buying wants to take money out and the way to do that is to be in the Prem. That's also the most likely route to Ken getting investment, telling investors they can invest a bit now and receive more when the club either sells or goes up. If we spend another season around the drop it's a hard sell.

If we tread water, we'll risk going down. We don't need to improve much to stay up, but we must improve. That'll not satisfy the manager, though. Phil has "nearly made it" twice before as a manager. First at Colchester before he failed at Hull. Then at Charlton where he just missed out on promotion and then got sack the following season. Bradford let him rebuild his career and Bolton will be his last shot. If he fails here then he'll likely never get a big job. His chance to be a Premier League manager is with us and he will be pushing for it. You can hear the annoyance in his voice at the minute when he talks about getting players in. He knows we need to start well.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 pm

I am possibly straw clutching here, but there is gossip that Sunderland are after Mohammad Eisa from Cheltenham and Ivan Toney from Newcastle.

http://the72.co.uk/109939/sunderland-ge ... -signings/

Perhaps they have given up on Wyke, in the knowledge that Premiership bound BWFC are after him :)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:34 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 pm
I am possibly straw clutching here, but there is gossip that Sunderland are after Mohammad Eisa from Cheltenham and Ivan Toney from Newcastle.

http://the72.co.uk/109939/sunderland-ge ... -signings/

Perhaps they have given up on Wyke, in the knowledge that Premiership bound BWFC are after him :)
Iles tweeted earlier that Sunderland have upped their bid for Wyke to £600k. Can we also be quite confident that they can offer higher wages than us?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:08 pm

Sunderland are a League One club. We've brought in some decent signings and are a division above them. They're even more of a basket case than we are at the moment.

If we have the money, PP really wants him and Ken fails to get that deal done I can see PP going spare. What PP has indicated is that there is the money there. 600k is 10% of the reported Madine fee. If Ken doesn't give that for a direct replacement then god help him.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Sunderland are a League One club who should get promoted at the first time of asking, whereas we could well be going the opposite way. If they were offering significantly more cash to the player I wouldn't say it's a shoe-in he chooses us.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Sunderland have apparently put cash bids in for Wyke and Mo Eisa to use as a pairing next season. If we had the money spare that'd work for us, I reckon. Eisa will be a good signing for someone this summer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:21 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm
Sunderland are a League One club who should get promoted at the first time of asking, whereas we could well be going the opposite way. If they were offering significantly more cash to the player I wouldn't say it's a shoe-in he chooses us.
Depends what "significantly more" would mean there. If Sunderland want to pay him silly money, sure. However, the lad is 25 and rates himself. Like Ozzy, he wants to play in the Premier League. Of the two clubs, Bolton is far more attractive to a player looking to prove he can score goals at a higher level. Ozzy left League One because he'd shown he could dominate that league and needed to step up to move on in his career. Wyke needs to do the same. For both players this summer is make or break to get to the top division.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:45 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 pm
I don't think Sunderland L1 in 2018 is the same as the last time they were in L1 in the 80s or the same as other big clubs who have gone down there. They still have huge financial issues and a new owner who doesn't appear wealthy enough to just throw money at it. They should go up, but they are having to try and do it prudently and aren't going to offer Wyke huge amounts of money.

Parky appears to think he has been promised some money for striker in terms of fee/wages. If he is presenting us an upwardly mobile Championship club then we should be a way more attractive proposition than any L1 club for a 25 year old decent L1 striker. Parky showed he improves strikers with Madine, who was a similar age and type of striker. It is down to Ken and whether he is prepared release the funds. £600k fee and say £10k-£12k pw doesn't seem out of our reach and we aren't going to get a target man that costs less.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 am

Preston now in for Wyke:
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... -for-wyke/

And...
Sunderland had an initial offer knocked back at the weekend but have come back in after the sale of Wahbi Khazri to Saint-Etienne yesterday afternoon freed up some cash for further recruits.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:45 am

HMX wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:54 am
Preston now in for Wyke:
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/s ... -for-wyke/
Ah. Eoin Doyle it is, then.