Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by HMX » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 pm

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 pm
Put the following left wings in order of desirability: Buckley, Cotterill, Curica, CYL, Diego Capel, Joao Tex, Noone, Wildchut .

I'd go CYL, Curica, Joao, Cotterill, Buckley,Wildchut, Capel, Noone,
Joao, Wildchut, Buckley, Capel, CYL, Noone, Cotterill

I don't know Curica?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I don't get excited about random rumours. Capel and Cotterill would worry me. Wildschut and Teixeira are talented, but risky, targets. Lee is unrealistic.

When someone signs, I'll either be excited or not. Too many "maybes" around for more than that.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:38 pm

HMX wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 pm
mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 pm
Put the following left wings in order of desirability: Buckley, Cotterill, Curica, CYL, Diego Capel, Joao Tex, Noone, Wildchut .

I'd go CYL, Curica, Joao, Cotterill, Buckley,Wildchut, Capel, Noone,
Joao, Wildchut, Buckley, Capel, CYL, Noone, Cotterill

I don't know Curica?
https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... -left-back

Curcio sorry, spelling error.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm
I don't get excited about random rumours. Capel and Cotterill would worry me. Wildschut and Teixeira are talented, but risky, targets. Lee is unrealistic.

When someone signs, I'll either be excited or not. Too many "maybes" around for more than that.
What's wrong with Cotterill? He's only 30? Was it because he sort of retired to ATK? Injuries?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Sam Walker looks like a good option for back up goalkeeper. He has been ever present for Colchester in the last five seasons except when he was injured in 2015/16. Probably has only been on small wages, so should fit in our budget.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Walker_(footballer)

I am not sure about the rumours about Wildschutt or Curcio. They sound very much like rumours planted by agents trying to drum up interest in their player to drive up wages.

Hobbs might be a decent signing, but it means we are going to have to set up deep again this season, which means having a target man is crucial. Given we haven't got one at this moment, it is a concern. I am skeptical that Ken wants to spend the money on Wyke. I can see him wanting to miss out and we end up with a cheap freebie like James Hanson. Macgennis doesn't look like a Championship player to me, I hope we don't spend money on him.

Also at this moment we have very little in midfield. We need at least two more established central midfielders. Vela and Lowe plus kids equals certain 24th place. They were some positive signs in the guys we have signed so far, but we urgently need some skin on the bones.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:02 pm

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm

What's wrong with Cotterill? He's only 30? Was it because he sort of retired to ATK? Injuries?
A few issues. Recent form is one. He was never a great player, just a decent Championship winger. It's 4 years since he had a good season and part of that is that his work rate has fallen and he's lost a yard of pace. Most wingers start to struggle sooner than players in other positions, because pace is such an issue out wide. Cotterill has relied in the past on having a turn of pace and a great engine to run his fullback ragged all game - those assets seem to have slipped. His assists came from set pieces recently, whereas he used to also have superb crossing in his locker. His difficulty beating a man these days means crossing is less effective.

He picked up a knee injury back in 2015 that kept him out for a while and since then, according to mates of mine who follow Birmingham, he's not looked the same player.

I don't think he's a bad player, but when you have two players who have been good at times in the Championship (Buckley and Noone) and then not really cut it I'm wary of Cotterill being more of the same. His delivery would maybe suit Wyke, so there could be a combination there; but what we actually need is a real impact player who can hold the ball up and drag us forward. Cotterill isn't that. He will hug the line, receive the ball and look to make a yard and distribute. That's fine if he's still able to gain the yard, Birmingham released him because he was no longer able to do that...nobody signed him last season because that seems to have been the general view in English football.

I don't like being critical of players and there's always a chance someone can do well. However, a 30-year-old winger who was released by a struggling club who supposedly needed a player exactly like him and then had to move to India isn't going to make me dream of the play-offs, or even make me any more confident of staying up.

Seems a good pro who trains well, but not keen.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:09 pm

Oh, one other issue with Cottrill. At his best, he plays on the right. Ameobi's best form for us has also been from the right, cutting in onto his left foot. Anyone fancy going into a full season with Buckley and Noone battling it out for the spot on the left?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:11 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:59 pm
I am skeptical that Ken wants to spend the money on Wyke. I can see him wanting to miss out and we end up with a cheap freebie like James Hanson.
Like him, but not actually him. He joined AFC Wombletown (on a free) this summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:09 pm
Oh, one other issue with Cottrill. At his best, he plays on the right. Ameobi's best form for us has also been from the right, cutting in onto his left foot. Anyone fancy going into a full season with Buckley and Noone battling it out for the spot on the left?
Furthermore, Noone is happier on the right than the left, so he can cut in on his left. I guess it might be different if we re-hire a target man, and the tactics to revert to John Barnes' World in Motion maxim.

Would I be happy with a choice of Noone and Buckley on the left? No, especially as we've only got one left-back behind them (did he play Darby there for the last 20 v Morecambe?). But I'd be far more worried if our only two centre-backs are Wheater and Beevers, and while (like you) I don't like to castigate players before they've had the chance, I'm not certain an injury-wracked player like Hobbs would give us much insurance.

But obviously we need a lot of signings. And looky here, we're more than halfway through the Wednesday.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 pm

A back injury, for a centre back, is about as bad as it gets. Constant impact from jostling and jumping. Vibrations down the spine from headers. Hobbs will struggle with it. However, if the medical team think he can play then we might get him on a favourable contract.

Beevers and Wheater isn't a good pairing. No pace and no ability to play the ball. I don't think Hobbs solves those issues, but he's a decent player when fit. Like I've said before, the team is less than the sum of its parts. Some good players, but poor combinations.

I think Parkinson knows where the weaknesses are and what he needs. Whether he gets the players he wants or stuck with a load of cloggers will decide the season. Whilst I don't love his style of football, I think he can do okay as a manager if he has the tools.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:28 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thanks. Now I know.Which is depressing.
Out of all those options only Joao and Capel and Wildchut are really left wingers. I'd take Curcio cause he has been in the past. Buckley up it's going to be a long season.
Last edited by mullayo on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 pm
A back injury, for a centre back, is about as bad as it gets. Constant impact from jostling and jumping. Vibrations down the spine from headers. Hobbs will struggle with it. However, if the medical team think he can play then we might get him on a favourable contract.

Beevers and Wheater isn't a good pairing. No pace and no ability to play the ball. I don't think Hobbs solves those issues, but he's a decent player when fit. Like I've said before, the team is less than the sum of its parts. Some good players, but poor combinations.

I think Parkinson knows where the weaknesses are and what he needs. Whether he gets the players he wants or stuck with a load of cloggers will decide the season. Whilst I don't love his style of football, I think he can do okay as a manager if he has the tools.
Hobbs being slow already also with a back injury and at 29 with no other interested parties - doesn't bode well.
Hmm... loanees!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:28 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thanks. Now I know. Out of all those options only Joao and Capel and Wildchut are really left wingers. I'd take Curcio cause he has been in the past. Buckley up it's going to be a long season.
Anyone we sign is going to have caveats and issues.

Wildschut, on paper, would be an amazing signing. Moved for over 7mil a year ago, has pace and power, he's genuinely two footed etc. However, he's never had an amazing season and has struggled a few times at new clubs.

Teixeira has loads of ability, but he's only ever had one good season. It was, however, a very, very good season.

Capel was a big name and a rising star, but has barely played in forever and nobody wants to touch him for some reason, His age is now against him.

Curcio dropped back to left back for a reason. If (big if) we really want him, I'd imagine it'll be for defence and not attack.

Nobody we sign will be without risk. I think Wildschut would suit Pakinson's style of play the most, but how we'd ever afford him I don't know.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:42 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:20 pm

One of Wheavers' issues is that they are not actually dominant at clearing stuff away from the danger zone, despite their height. On numerous occasions last season, teams crossed the ball into our box and smaller strikers were on the end of those crosses. Sheffield Wednesday could have had about six goals in the second half of the game at the Macron just from crosses into the box, Rhodes could have had four himself. Forest had three gilt edged chances in the 1st half from crosses into the box. Matt Smith at Loftus Road had loads of headers on our goal. Assambalonga's goal for Boro at the Macron. Birmingham's goal at the Macron. Millwall's first at the Macron. All it takes is some basic movement from the striker and they get on the end of crosses. Also since Madine left we were really struggling with set pieces. Wheavers might be the tallest but they are static and it is easy to keep set pieces away from them. Someone like Hobbs might improve those areas. Even then, we will still be very vulnerable to pace, and we would be resorting to hoofing it when in possession.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sam Walker looks like a good option for back up goalkeeper. He has been ever present for Colchester in the last five seasons except when he was injured in 2015/16. Probably has only been on small wages, so should fit in our budget.
Didn't Ghost say he was their top wage earner? League 2, what's that? 3K?
Sounds good otherwise. Good age. Good size. Very experienced for his age. Sooo good showing up/injury history. Seems pretty smart... Will probably want to be paid though... bonuses and everything...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:42 pm
One of Wheavers' issues is that they are not actually dominant at clearing stuff away from the danger zone, despite their height. On numerous occasions last season, teams crossed the ball into our box and smaller strikers were on the end of those crosses. Sheffield Wednesday could have had about six goals in the second half of the game at the Macron just from crosses into the box, Rhodes could have had four himself. Forest had three gilt edged chances in the 1st half from crosses into the box. Matt Smith at Loftus Road had loads of headers on our goal. Assambalonga's goal for Boro at the Macron. Birmingham's goal at the Macron. Millwall's first at the Macron. All it takes is some basic movement from the striker and they get on the end of crosses. Also since Madine left we were really struggling with set pieces. Wheavers might be the tallest but they are static and it is easy to keep set pieces away from them. Someone like Hobbs might improve those areas. Even then, we will still be very vulnerable to pace, and we would be resorting to hoofing it when in possession.
They're not top class defenders, but I think part of the issue is the ease with which we've allowed crosses and diagonal balls to be hit into our box for years now. We don't hold the ball in attack and can't retain possession, so we end up with the ball coming into the box so many times that even top class centre backs would struggle to pick up the runners every time.

We have been a bad team for a long time. Even in our promotion season under PP we had glaring issues.

We need to bring in players that allow us to have a style of play that works with our squad. We need to improve our organisation. We need to show more bravery on the ball and in possession.

Last season we showed fight and spirit. We saw work rate from the team. More is needed this term. Parky must be going spare. At the moment he has no chance to get organised and ready.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:47 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Didn't Ghost say he was their top wage earner? League 2, what's that? 3K?
Sounds good otherwise. Good age. Good size. Very experienced for his age. Sooo good showing up/injury history. Seems pretty smart... Will probably want to be paid though... bonuses and everything...
He signed an extended, improved contract in League One and they were then relegated. So he was on a decent League One wage.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:41 pm

Nobody we sign will be without risk.
You've made a basic Yoda error there. Just let me correct that for you.

Nobody we will sign... Be without risk... Sucks supporting Bolton is...

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

He signed an extended, improved contract in League One and they were then relegated. So he was on a decent League One wage.
I read an interview with him that said he's played in teams that have stayed up on the final day 3 times (already).
Don't know if that's encouraging or not?
If he joins us, he could be heading for number 4. If we're lucky.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm

mullayo wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:58 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:51 pm

I read an interview with him that said he's played in teams that have stayed up on the final day 3 times (already).
Don't know if that's encouraging or not?
If he joins us, he could be heading for number 4. If we're lucky.
Good age, shown form and 6'6". If the coaches like the look of him, I'll be pleased to have him in. Not sure what it means for Turner, though. For all the talk of "future England player" he doesn't look near the first team.