Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:38 pm

mullayo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:29 pm
So tell me people what's wrong with Marc Wilson? Other than he's turning 31.
He's free. He's 6ft 2in, can play centreback (83 games), leftback (75 games) and defensive mid (16 games). 181 Premier League games.

C'mon Ghost, burst this bubble.

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... ernational
Released from a twice relegated club. Doesn't bode well.

kagni
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kagni » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 pm

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/m ... n.1439108/

Sunderland supporters don't think much of his efforts last season, not sure how much notice to take of that though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:05 pm

Wilson picked up a knee ligament injury in the 15/16 season and since then he's barely played any football. I've seen him a few times and he's lost what little pace he once had, which has meant he's been dragging players back and getting in late for tackles. In the last two seasons he played 31 games, I think, and has picked up 10 yellow cards. I'm always wary about knee injuries. Picked one up myself years ago and it still plays up from time to time.

If we sign the Marc Wilson of his Stoke days then we'll be getting a very, very good player for this division. Reads the game well, solid in the tackle and works hard. If he's the Marc Wilson of the last couple of seasons then we'll be getting someone who can't get out of first gear and hacks at anything that moves because he knows he can't keep up with play.

So, take your pick. If the medical team say his knee is okay I'm all for signing him. His attitude in the past has been regarded as first rate. It wasn't at Sunderland, but nobody's was there for whatever reason. Clean slate, as far as I'm concerned. A fit Marc Wilson is strong, tough and takes no shit off anyone.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 pm

Worth noting that reports in Scotland today have us fielding a 1mil bid from Rangers for Mark Beevers. Could be related to any Wilson signing.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 pm

mullayo wrote:
Ha. I hadn't realised I'd become the merchant of doom. Apologies.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 pm
mullayo wrote:
Ha. I hadn't realised I'd become the merchant of doom. Apologies.
Nah, it's always too good to be true. You're the keeper of knowledge not the harbinger of doom. Dammit, lack of pace was the the one thing I was worried about. I suspect we're getting the crock cause where has he been all off season? Wasn't at our training was he. So unfit and f-ed up it is.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:37 am

kagni wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Sunderland supporters don't think much of his efforts last season, not sure how much notice to take of that though.
'Quick tally of the opinions on there....1 guy thought he played okay, 27 thought he was utter sh*te.

As for his perceived pace or lack thereof: "Looks like he ran in wellies" + reply:"On the wrong feet".

FML

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 am

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:37 am
kagni wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:50 pm

'Quick tally of the opinions on there....1 guy thought he played okay, 27 thought he was utter sh*te.

As for his perceived pace or lack thereof: "Looks like he ran in wellies" + reply:"On the wrong feet".

FML
Sunderland fans hate pretty much every player from last season's squad. Whether that means every player is a lost cause, or just that Sunderland as a club were beyond hope....who knows? If Wilson hadn't had that one season at Sunderland we'd probably all be excited to sign him. I'm not sure you can accurately judge any player who has been at that club in the last three years. Wilson has clearly had a bad couple of years. No idea if he can be revived or not.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:29 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 pm
Worth noting that reports in Scotland today have us fielding a 1mil bid from Rangers for Mark Beevers. Could be related to any Wilson signing.

$1m for Beevers, Ken is drrooling. Might be a blessing because Wheevers sort of needs to be broken up. Both Wilson and Hobbs are slower though, so I hope we get Hoban.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:02 am

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:29 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:08 pm

$1m for Beevers, Ken is drrooling. Might be a blessing because Wheevers sort of needs to be broken up. Both Wilson and Hobbs are slower though, so I hope we get Hoban.
If that's their opening offer then I think it's reasonable that we go back asking for a bit more. £1.5m then using the money on Wyke plus a younger, quicker centre back and I'd be fairly pleased.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:12 am

£1m for Beevers would be terrific for us right now, imo. I meant to post something about him off the back of the mention Nixon gave him in his Sunday column. I Would have added that I'd be in favour of a sale, on the basis that the £300k or so we might get for him would perhaps help towards securing a No. 9, with the addition of Hobbs plus one (ideally two) frees not seeing us any worse off at CB.

But £1m? If it actually resulted in us being able to bring in Wyke (or our "prestige" striker), while maybe even having a low six-figure sum leftover to open up our signing options in other areas, then I'd be Right arm. Cut. Have it.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:24 am

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/wyke- ... -kick-off/

Speculative piece about 3 signings we should make. One of them was Posh centreback Jack Baldwin again. What was wrong with him again Ghost? Injuries tweren't it?

Otherwise we'd have "a young Alan Hansen" IIRC.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am

Selling Beevers at this stage would be a disaster. He's our only left footed centre back and probably our most reliable centre back.

Absolutely ridiculous to consider selling players when you've got 16/7 senior players on the books.

Wilson is a risk. He has struggled since injury. But at the same time you don't play over 100 premiership games if you are a mug. So hopefully he can recapture some form in a more nurturing environment here than at Sunderland. Versatile which is exactly what we needed.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:54 am

Wilson is hardly inspiring but a player on a free that can play and cover a few roles is a good deal. Yeah, he was atrocious at Sunderland but did well for Hughes and Pulls and he may suit a more rigid system

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am

Not sure why we're considering selling a player others are willing to pay a mil plus for, for an injury prone causualty who his own supporters rate Donald Duck in boots? We really are the mighty fallen. A whole million...wow.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:42 am

Not sure about selling Beevers at this stage. If it was earlier in the TW then I would be all for it. I don't see him as ever being much better than a bottom half Championship defender, and we need to urgently improve this area. £1m+ is a decent fee for him too. However, we are 10 days from the start of the season, and we have at this moment zero cover there. Wheater and Hoobs (if we sign him) are both injury prone, and the Wilson (if we sign him) of recent times might well be a downgrade, and is also injury prone. I am not sure we would have the time or the money to sign anyone who is as good as Beevers. The only issue now is that we would probably have to offer him a pay rise and a longer contract to keep him, or at least keep him and keep him motivated, which no doubt encourages Ken to sell.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am
Selling Beevers at this stage would be a disaster. He's our only left footed centre back and probably our most reliable centre back.

Absolutely ridiculous to consider selling players when you've got 16/7 senior players on the books.

Wilson is a risk. He has struggled since injury. But at the same time you don't play over 100 premiership games if you are a mug. So hopefully he can recapture some form in a more nurturing environment here than at Sunderland. Versatile which is exactly what we needed.
Yesterday you're all don't panic we've got ages, now selling one player (who's level is probably the league below) for a £1m is a disaster.

We're miles off, what's one more?! I'd take it if it meant we got Wyke. I trust Parky to be able to mash together some big ugly lumps to be solid at the back. Far easier than magicking goals from nowhere.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:48 am

Yesterday you're all don't panic we've got ages, now selling one player (who's level is probably the league below) for a £1m is a disaster.

We're miles off, what's one more?! I'd take it if it meant we got Wyke. I trust Parky to be able to mash together some big ugly lumps to be solid at the back. Far easier than magicking goals from nowhere.
I'm not panicking neither am I sitting here happy. We're doing ok, but can't be selling starters at this stage. We need people fit and ready for West Brom, selling Beevers leaves us with a hole to fill and probably will be with a freebie who hasn't had a pre-season.

I'm not that convinced with Wyke tbh. What I've seen of him he's less of a target than Madine more of an into feet in and around the box type. Likes crosses. Things we don't necessarily currently do. But whatever. I'm not keen at all on signing him with a knee injury that he's already had twice this summer.

We shall see.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:10 am

Literally never seen him play so no idea, but I think it's more about backing PP if that's who he wants.

Goals are the hardest bit. Losing any first team player now is clearly miles less than ideal, but I also think £1m is way over Beevers value so can see the attraction.

Either way we're looking for 241 deals and any old bodies coming in soon.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 am

Also, what the feck were knobhead's emoji bollocks for this time?!