Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:11 am
Also, what the feck were knobhead's emoji bollocks for this time?!
Marc Wilson. Signing today.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:31 am

🎂🎂🎂🍾🍾🍾🎆🎆🎆🎉🎉🎉⚽⚽⚽
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:03 am

I'm not that convinced with Wyke tbh. What I've seen of him he's less of a target than Madine more of an into feet in and around the box type. Likes crosses. Things we don't necessarily currently do. But whatever. I'm not keen at all on signing him with a knee injury that he's already had twice this summer.

We shall see.
That's what I saw too. More like a younger Donaldson. Not a SKD wrestle with the centreback centrefoward at all.
What could've happened; did.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm not that convinced with Wyke tbh. What I've seen of him he's less of a target than Madine more of an into feet in and around the box type. Likes crosses. Things we don't necessarily currently do. But whatever. I'm not keen at all on signing him with a knee injury that he's already had twice this summer.

We shall see.
That's what I saw too. More like a younger Donaldson. Not a SKD wrestle with the centreback centrefoward at all.
i think I would want someone who can run and score, and make a reasonable effort to prevent defenders making comfortable clearances than someone who is really strong in the aerial tussle, but whilst able to get more meaningful touches to punts up field, isn't capable of creating chances or scoring goals. Those who can do both, we can't get.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am

If we get Hoban on loan. sign Hobbs, and Wilson. I'd let Beevers go for a cool mill.
Three crocks I know but two are chances to be quicker. Can't all be injured at the same time. Wilson covers left back and DM too.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am
mullayo wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We shall see.
i think I would want someone who can run and score, and make a reasonable effort to prevent defenders making comfortable clearances than someone who is really strong in the aerial tussle, but whilst able to get more meaningful touches to punts up field, isn't capable of creating chances or scoring goals. Those who can do both, we can't get.
Yeah but not much use if you hoof it up to him and he can't win the contest - which is what Madine did and a lone striker in a crappy team often has to deal with. Does Wyke even play up front on his own?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm

We seem to be adding players who are widely regarded as "leaders" on the pitch. Lowe, Oztumer and Wilson are all seen as vocal and driven players. Lowe and Wilson have both captained clubs at record young ages (Portsmouth and Blackburn) I think and Ozzy supposedly drags players up the pitch. We lost a number of our "leaders", so that's no bad thing.

Fitness seems to be an issue for us in the coming season. With a small squad, that's a worry.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am
If we get Hoban on loan. sign Hobbs, and Wilson. I'd let Beevers go for a cool mill.
Three crocks I know but two are chances to be quicker. Can't all be injured at the same time. Wilson covers left back and DM too.
The price is just speculation. Rangers have scouted him, they made a 3mil bid for another player that was rejected. Beevers is said to be a "cheaper" option. The gossip rags in Scotland have then guessed at a fee.

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm
Ozzy supposedly drags players up the pitch.
Reading that first time round I saw "drugs players up the pitch". Gotta catch the oppo's defense napping one way or the other. :D

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 pm

mullayo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 pm
Yeah but not much use if you hoof it up to him and he can't win the contest - which is what Madine did and a lone striker in a crappy team often has to deal with. Does Wyke even play up front on his own?
Wyke has played in a one-up-top a lot. He's more like a lower league version of Harry Kane than he is like Kevin Davies. Wyke has a tendency to come short, take the ball and then turn and drive forward. That's why I thought it important to sign a fast wide player on the left who will make runs beyond the striker, which we now have in Wildschut. He can do the scrappy stuff, but he's more of a natural striker than Madine. The view up at Carlise is that Wyke just always seems to get on the end of things. Not always going to be amazing in general play, but seems to always sniff out a goal.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:27 pm
mullayo wrote:
Wyke has played in a one-up-top a lot. He's more like a lower league version of Harry Kane than he is like Kevin Davies. Wyke has a tendency to come short, take the ball and then turn and drive forward. That's why I thought it important to sign a fast wide player on the left who will make runs beyond the striker, which we now have in Wildschut. He can do the scrappy stuff, but he's more of a natural striker than Madine. The view up at Carlise is that Wyke just always seems to get on the end of things. Not always going to be amazing in general play, but seems to always sniff out a goal.
My worry is that given how we play relies so much on the striker doing his part, that Wyke is not fitting in. Also the step up might mean he struggles for goals. I've always felt he had the look of a league one striker who might struggle higher up the chain, lack of pace, lack of zip - hard to explain.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm worried about Wilson. Injury problems and he's been cut adrift from Sunderland who are looking to cut dead wood away. He's been on a downward spiral for a couple of years now.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 pm
My worry is that given how we play relies so much on the striker doing his part, that Wyke is not fitting in. Also the step up might mean he struggles for goals. I've always felt he had the look of a league one striker who might struggle higher up the chain, lack of pace, lack of zip - hard to explain.
I get that. There's never a guarantee a player will step up between leagues. Everyone was certain David Nugent would be a hit when he went up a division and look what happened there.

Last season I think Wyke would have had a hard time. Robinson would have suited him, as would Sammy, but we wouldn't have had much going on for him in the final third (a bit like the issues Alf has had).

This season I actually think Wyke is the type I'd choose, given an option. He's good in the air and with his back to goal, but he will also run channels. I think Olkowski and Ozzy need a player like that in front of them. They both look up and play early passes...a Madine-type wouldn't make use of them. You've then got the option to hit Wyke and get runners beyond him, which I think suits Wildschut and (I really hope) Vela - Josh seems to have been told to get forward more in preseason.

It seems to me that Parky has a plan for his team and is building a team to that plan. I hope so, anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:37 pm
I'm worried about Wilson. Injury problems and he's been cut adrift from Sunderland who are looking to cut dead wood away. He's been on a downward spiral for a couple of years now.
I think you can make a positive and a negative case for every player we've signed thus far. It's just how it is when you've got no money.

It's the manager's job to make sure due diligence is done with injuries and that players get the support and motivation they need to perform. Another big season in Parky's career.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:45 pm

mullayo wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am
mullayo wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

We shall see.
It is not really about winning the contest. The defender always has the momentum in winning that contest. Even a genetic miracle combination of Gary Madine and Kevin Davies with knobs on wouldn't win the majority of those aerial battles, and even the ones they do win often doesn't result in anything but a covering defender clearing it.

As long as Donaldson and Wyke, can make the defenders life difficult so they can't control where they are heading it, or they give a few fouls away, then we should be able to pick up some second balls, and Donaldson/Wyke should contribute more in assists and goals. Very few successful teams prioritize having a super strong number9 who can overpower defenders to get something on aimless punts up field.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:40 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 pm
I get that. There's never a guarantee a player will step up between leagues. Everyone was certain David Nugent would be a hit when he went up a division and look what happened there.

Last season I think Wyke would have had a hard time. Robinson would have suited him, as would Sammy, but we wouldn't have had much going on for him in the final third (a bit like the issues Alf has had).

This season I actually think Wyke is the type I'd choose, given an option. He's good in the air and with his back to goal, but he will also run channels. I think Olkowski and Ozzy need a player like that in front of them. They both look up and play early passes...a Madine-type wouldn't make use of them. You've then got the option to hit Wyke and get runners beyond him, which I think suits Wildschut and (I really hope) Vela - Josh seems to have been told to get forward more in preseason.

It seems to me that Parky has a plan for his team and is building a team to that plan. I hope so, anyway.
See I always felt Nugent was championship level.

To me the best striker we've had "potentially" in my time is Ricketts. People will say Eidur, Anelka etc and yes they were better players as they reached the peak. But potential wise Ricketts had everything. Power, strength, pace, finishing, movement - he was a complete modern striker. Had he not completely lacked application.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:50 pm

We've signed Marc Wilson

from the official BWFC site:
Bolton Wanderers are pleased to announce the signing of Marc Wilson on a one-year deal.

The 30-year-old Republic of Ireland international, who is capable of playing both in defence and midfield, was last on the books of Sunderland in 2017/18.

During the formative years of his career meanwhile, the Irishman started out in his homeland with Lisburn Youth before making the switch to Manchester United as a teenager.

After three years at Old Trafford however, he moved to the south-coast with Portsmouth and turned professional with Pompey in 2006, going on to enjoy four seasons at Fratton Park coupled with loans to Yeovil Town, Bournemouth and Luton Town.

The Premier League was calling for him though, and in 2010, he was snapped up by Stoke City where during a six-year stint at the bet365 Stadium, he played in an FA Cup Final and also in the Europa League with the Potters.

Joining up with his former loan side Bournemouth in 2016, he was loaned to West Bromwich Albion in the second half of 2016/17 before agreeing terms with Sunderland last summer.

And now following his departure from the Stadium of Light, Wilson has linked up with Phil Parkinson’s men ahead of the start of the Sky Bet Championship campaign in under two weeks’ time.

Speaking to bwfc.co.uk after completing the move, Wilson said: “It's good to be here. I spoke to the manager a while back and he was really positive about it.

"I think for me personally it is a good chance to get playing football again and hopefully help the club to do well."

Wanderers manager Parkinson added: “We're pleased with the signing of Marc. He's a player who's played at the top level in English football and also on the international stage.

"He can play across the back four as well as holding midfield and is a great addition to our squad."

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 pm

And PSG: Image

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 pm
To me the best striker we've had "potentially" in my time is Ricketts. People will say Eidur, Anelka etc and yes they were better players as they reached the peak. But potential wise Ricketts had everything. Power, strength, pace, finishing, movement - he was a complete modern striker. Had he not completely lacked application.
That's a thread in itself. I'd say Anelka was, at one stage, one of the top strikers in Europe without fully applying himself. I'd say he was miles beyond Ricketts.

Ricketts absolutely wasted his career, though. He could have been a real player in the Premier League.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:53 pm

HMX wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 pm
And PSG: Image
I'm good with this one. If he's injury free then he could form part of a solid side. We needed a utility player - was one of the things at the top of my list.