Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:40 pm
Having seen Hull's central defence tonight, we are certainly not the worst there in this league!
If you've seen their central defence you should call the hotline. They were officially declared missing.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:14 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:52 pm
palindromeofbolton wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:39 pm
By the way, could Bowyer have got any more mentions of "Pat" into those quotes if he'd tried?!? :lol:

“Pat is not going, The owner told Blackburn and Bolton what he wants for Pat and they are not going to pay what we are asking.

“Pat knows that. Pat has been offered a new deal and he is thinking about that at the moment.

“But on Saturday I had an email from the owner saying that Pat is staying. He said that Pat is a massive part of our defence and we need to keep him because he improves our chances of promotion.”
He's clearly got it down pat.
Good one Ghost. Pat yourself on the back.
Seriously though, Bauer is unsettled and ambitious. Just sit back and watch the price drop. Maybe go back in at January or wait the full year and sign him on a free.
How about Thomas Lam? He's available and 24 can play D-mid too (40 games) so more likely a decent passer..
I still say the Forest fire sale is worth a rummage through.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:15 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:40 pm
Having seen Hull's central defence tonight, we are certainly not the worst there in this league!
If you've seen their central defence you should call the hotline. They were officially declared missing.
Happy to hear that. A lot of the highlights I've seen have been impressive. Apart from Rotterham. Need more relegation candidates.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 am

Where would you want Lam to play, Mullayo? He was practically an old-fashioned sweeper in Holland before Forest got him in. Clearly a talented footballer, but not sure he's got the blood-and-thunder defending in him that Parky seems to value. I don't think I've seen him kick a ball in England, though, so I may be wrong.

What do you like about him? What would he offer that we need?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:23 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 am
Where would you want Lam to play, Mullayo? He was practically an old-fashioned sweeper in Holland before Forest got him in. Clearly a talented footballer, but not sure he's got the blood-and-thunder defending in him that Parky seems to value. I don't think I've seen him kick a ball in England, though, so I may be wrong.

What do you like about him? What would he offer that we need?

He's 24, tall enough, covers two positions (which implies some mobility and versatility) and available, cheapish I expect. That's the extent of it for me.

There's a lull so I looked at what other clubs are doing. Just needed you to kibosh the idea so I can move on to fresh targets. TBH, I don't mind the wait this week, as hopefully it means we're being ambitious behind the scenes and not just squad filling.

How about the two Forest keepers: Stephen Henderson(30) and Dimi Evtimov (24). Better or worse prospect than Camp? Chance to sign rather than just loan.
Last edited by mullayo on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:59 am

Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am

Still can't get my head around another striker being the priority/high on the list, but hey ho...

Interesting we're getting another friendly in. Finally getting to see what Ireland's capable of will be good. Wilson, Murphy and probably a few of the youngsters getting some game time also a plus.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:33 am

Re my comment about pace, I had completely forgotten Wildschut. However, I still think we are lacking speed in most positions (which isn't the same as saying all our players are slow).

Are people expecting any of our youngsters to get regular time this year? There was a lot of positivity around the U23s after their league winning campaign last year, but none of them were included at the weekend and there hasn't been much talk from the manager regarding them, save for saying he wants to send Hall out on loan.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:33 am
Re my comment about pace, I had completely forgotten Wildschut. However, I still think we are lacking speed in most positions (which isn't the same as saying all our players are slow).

Are people expecting any of our youngsters to get regular time this year? There was a lot of positivity around the U23s after their league winning campaign last year, but none of them were included at the weekend and there hasn't been much talk from the manager regarding them, save for saying he wants to send Hall out on loan.
Think we can safely say no on the young players. Pritchard who we bought in for the U23s from Spurs did catch my eye in the Girona game. Looked tidy. But whether he'd be considered or not I don't know.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 am
The_Gun wrote:

Think we can safely say no on the young players. Pritchard who we bought in for the U23s from Spurs did catch my eye in the Girona game. Looked tidy. But whether he'd be considered or not I don't know.
It's a bit disappointing for me tbh. Obviously what I care most about is us surviving and ultimately pushing up the league, but if we're not going to be receiving any investment in the short term I really think we also need to be doing our utmost to bring through young players.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:30 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

It's a bit disappointing for me tbh. Obviously what I care most about is us surviving and ultimately pushing up the league, but if we're not going to be receiving any investment in the short term I really think we also need to be doing our utmost to bring through young players.
Need to get them out on loan. The jump from U23s to Championship is way too big for most to bridge. Any young lad who was seriously banging on the door here to play would likely be being courted by premiership clubs.

For me these lads need regular football to develop. Lets see if they can play regularly and do well in league 1/2. In recent times we've been far to slow to loan them out. Get them playing, see what they are made of. Mind, it could be that we struggle to find takers.

kagni
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kagni » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am
Need to get them out on loan. The jump from U23s to Championship is way too big for most to bridge. Any young lad who was seriously banging on the door here to play would likely be being courted by premiership clubs.

For me these lads need regular football to develop. Lets see if they can play regularly and do well in league 1/2. In recent times we've been far to slow to loan them out. Get them playing, see what they are made of. Mind, it could be that we struggle to find takers.
Looks like Jimmy Phillips' lad is making an impression with the scousers.
Being mentioned as 1st team candidate for this season.
One that got away?
Anyone know what he was like when he was here?

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/30/so ... n-display/

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree - why aren't we sending more players out on loan? To me it seems like our best U23 players are being kept at the club as last line insurance in case injuries get really bad, but ultimately they're only ever playing in the development league. Winning our U23 league is all well and good, but ultimately that's only a success for the club if some of those players become contributors at first team level/realise a return for us by being sold on. I hope we are thinking about this more strategically this season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:59 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree - why aren't we sending more players out on loan? To me it seems like our best U23 players are being kept at the club as last line insurance in case injuries get really bad, but ultimately they're only ever playing in the development league. Winning our U23 league is all well and good, but ultimately that's only a success for the club if some of those players become contributors at first team level/realise a return for us by being sold on. I hope we are thinking about this more strategically this season.
Agreed. Like you I think the U23 results are an irrelevance. Its effectively non-league standard. Possibly not even that. What matters is the players we bring through and our setup consistently hasn't really brought players through. We need to get them out on loan for experience, but then its easy to say that and probably harder to do.

elhadj
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by elhadj » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am

What happend to Lionel zouma

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:59 am
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

Agreed. Like you I think the U23 results are an irrelevance. Its effectively non-league standard. Possibly not even that. What matters is the players we bring through and our setup consistently hasn't really brought players through. We need to get them out on loan for experience, but then its easy to say that and probably harder to do.
I don't doubt that sending players out on loan is easier said than done, but our academy is supposedly now of quite a high level, and last season ostensibly showed us that our youth players are better than those at clubs like Palace, Forest, Sheff U, Leeds, Birmingham, Watford etc. You would think at least a few of these players would be good enough to get regular game time at League 2 level.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:02 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:51 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:59 am
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

I don't doubt that sending players out on loan is easier said than done, but our academy is supposedly now of quite a high level, and last season ostensibly showed us that our youth players are better than those at clubs like Palace, Forest, Sheff U, Leeds, Birmingham, Watford etc. You would think at least a few of these players would be good enough to get regular game time at League 2 level.
Depends - it may be that those clubs are loaning their better ones out. I think the U23 league is fairly meaningless. It could also be we had the best "team" without individuals capable of seriously coming through.

I'd rather have 10 average ones and 1 great one than 11 ok-decent ones who will never be good enough for championship football.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Looks like Lee Camp is going to Birmingham. A little surprising especially since they have Stockdale and Kuszczak on the books (but frozen out).

I can see us going in for Kuszczak perhaps on loan if this deal is done.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:11 pm

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... y-15000023

Keeper De-Camping Bolton for Birmingham?

Back to the drawing board... No, wait, I've already found two.

How about the two Forest keepers: Stephen Henderson(30) and Dimi Evtimov (24).
Better or worse prospects than Camp?
Chance to sign rather than just loan.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:23 pm

elhadj wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am
What happend to Lionel zouma
Lionel is back in France on a two year contract.