Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:33 pm

Sheffield Untied arrive tomorrow for a very interesting looking game at the UniBol. Chris Wilder and Parky seem to have a rivalry, with Wilder seemingly getting quite upset last year after Parky had indicated he had worked them out as he set up his side expertly to secure the 1-0 at Bramall Lane. Of course Wilder was allegedly in the frame to become our manager in 2016 when Parky was eventually appointed, although it is hard to see that he would have ended up anywhere else than the club he supports.

We go into this game third, or joint top if you prefer, having carried the momentum from the final game of last season, through the transfer window and into the start of this season. It is our second game in less than three days, so it is possible we will needs to freshen things up. Ameobi and Buckley after superb 30 minute cameos on Wednesday must be likely starters, along with the rested Vela. Murphy, Grounds might be candidates to replace O'Neil and Taylor? New signing Joe Williams might be involved in the 18.

Sheffield United surprised a lot of teams in the first half of last season, at one point threatening to challenge for the automatic spots until eventually falling away to 10th. The summer saw hot prospect David Brooks leave for £11m, along with Clayton Donaldson who went to a far better club, and Lee Evans left for Wigan. In have come John Egan (£4m from Brentford), David McGoldrick from Ipswich on a free, Ben Woodburn on loan from Liverpool, and Oliver Norwood on loan from Brighton.

This promising to be an interesting and exciting game. Wilder at times plays a cavalier 3-5-2, complete with overlapping centre backs. The three at the back also join in with the midfielders to keep the ball and start attacks. We of course will be a threat to them with our direct play and set pieces. A clash of style and philosophies, marvelous stuff.

They didn't play midweek and so have the potential advantage of a fully rested squad. If we win we could be really walking on the wild side, and go top! I see a 2-2, but hope we can do it. COYW..

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by jmjhb » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:27 pm

A draw would be a good result. A win would be amazing.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:07 pm

The fixture calendar seems daft. Should be full programmes within days of each other where possible. We didn't play the first midweek. Seems mad. Grumble grumble sky grumble.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Going to this. Should be a good atmosphere if Bolton have let their lot into the bottom tier.

And I can't stand Chris Wilder, the guy comes across as a sore loser and a total c*nt.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm

Apart from Billy Sharp, who I hope gets an early Wheatabix, who are Shefield's danger men? I'm a bit out of touch with the current side; has it changed much since last season?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Boro getting a win is a bugger, I was hoping we'd go top when we thump Sheff Utd.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 pm
Boro getting a win is a bugger, I was hoping we'd go top when we thump Sheff Utd.
Still could if we smash 5 past them!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:46 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:41 pm
Still could if we smash 5 past them!
As good as done, then.

Sweet
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sweet » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Should be a good atmosphere, always a great following from the Blades.
Realistic score 1:3

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:22 pm

Sweet wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 pm
Jesus - are you still trolling on here?!

Actually think you might be right on the score though. We've rode our luck a bit and that has to end soon.

1-3 loss and we're all in awe at the 'great Blades following' :roll: (Wednesday always bring more and make more noise anyway)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:04 am

Sweet wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 pm
Realistic score 3:1. There you go, corrected that for you. :wink:

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:21 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm
Apart from Billy Sharp, who I hope gets an early Wheatabix, who are Shefield's danger men? I'm a bit out of touch with the current side; has it changed much since last season?
They haven't changed much at all this TW Tango, certainly not as much as they would've liked. They were in for Waghorn, who left Ipswich for Derby, and Luke Freeman who is still at QPR. McGoldrick has arrived from Ipswich, a reasonable performer at this level. Leon Clarke was their best striker last season, and Sharp is still there. 18 yo Ben Woodburn, on loan from Liverpool, is meant to be a potential superstar, having already made his debut for Wales, but not sure he is in the danger man category at Championship level yet.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:21 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:15 pm
They haven't changed much at all this TW Tango, certainly not as much as they would've liked. They were in for Waghorn, who left Ipswich for Derby, and Luke Freeman who is still at QPR. McGoldrick has arrived from Ipswich, a reasonable performer at this level. Leon Clarke was their best striker last season, and Sharp is still there. 18 yo Ben Woodburn, on loan from Liverpool, is meant to be a potential superstar, having already made his debut for Wales, but not sure he is in the danger man category at Championship level yet.
Cheers Bristol. McGoldrick will need watching, as will Sharp and Clark, still, we're an improved unit and I'm confident we'll get sometrhing out of this.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 am
Cheers Bristol. McGoldrick will need watching, as will Sharp and Clark, still, we're an improved unit and I'm confident we'll get sometrhing out of this.
We've shown we can deny the opposition chances if everyone is focused and on it. That's what the game will come down to.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 am

We'll get beat. I've never been more sure of it.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:48 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 am
It's the fixture in the first 6 I had us down to lose. Don't know what it is about them but just get the same feeling.

We'll probably win 2 nil.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 am

Impossible to predict these games. Every championship game is tight and unpredictable.

I think Sheffield United will be the best team we’ve played this season if you take out West Brom early season oddity. On the day West Brom were poor but Sheff Utd won’t be.

We’ve had a game midweek and they haven’t which might factor in too.

Head says we might come a cropper today 0-2. Heart says we are good for a draw 1-1.

I’d be more than happy with a draw from this one. We will need to play better and control the game better than we did midweek as Sheffield are sharper in the pass than Brum.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 am
Impossible to predict these games. Every championship game is tight and unpredictable.

I think Sheffield United will be the best team we’ve played this season if you take out West Brom early season oddity. On the day West Brom were poor but Sheff Utd won’t be.

We’ve had a game midweek and they haven’t which might factor in too.

Head says we might come a cropper today 0-2. Heart says we are good for a draw 1-1.

I’d be more than happy with a draw from this one. We will need to play better and control the game better than we did midweek as Sheffield are sharper in the pass than Brum.
Serious question - do they have a Jota type player, because he was the main difference between us & B/ham on Weds, he was outstanding a very talented player, in fact technically & movement wise one of the best I've seen in recent years.

I wonder if we will ever see a player as good as him for Bolton in the next few years (Yes I know he cost £6M)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:35 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:48 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 am
It's the fixture in the first 6 I had us down to lose. Don't know what it is about them but just get the same feeling.

We'll probably win 2 nil.

It certainly has an air of defeat about it. We've been very fortunate to have got the results we have from our two home matches, and my senses are telling me that today is the day we hit our first stumbling block. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, though.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:57 am

Being South Yorkshire's answer to Barcelona, they struggle against direct football and set pieces.

We need to defend like we did on Wednesday and pack that midfield and give them no time on the ball.