Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:42 am

Just finding the time and inclination to reflect on the game. As has no doubt been said above it was awful. We got hammered, 0-3 was probably harsh on Sheffield United. The midfield was the worst part of the team. Lowe, Murhpy and Vela were all utterly terrible and got outclassed. A team like Sheffiled United are the worst kind of team to consistently cede good possession to. Their wing backs become wingers, they get two midfielders forward, and have two strikers. And they all play intelligently and look to play good passes in the final third. Thus, unlike the Birmingham game, who also had the better of things in midfield but failed numerous times to create chances due to their blunt attack, we conceded loads of chances.

Grounds was also terrible. Of the rest only Magennis can say he had a decent game.

The only excuse we had was that Sheffield United were fresh and we had had a game less than 72 hours earlier. I think from watching the game this was definitely a factor. We probably needed to be at our mental and physical maximum to contain them and have a chance of nicking it, and we certainly weren't that.

One area I felt was unforgivable was the way we started. It was so flat and lethargic. Sheffield United had already had three clear cut chances before they got their first in the fifth minute. We never recovered from there. It felt all the talk before the game was about how happy we were with the start, and it felt complacency was always possible. Therefore you would've expected Parky and the team to have made sure this was the one thing that didn't happen.

Oh hum. As long as it is a one off we are still in a great position, and have good strength in depth, and a good group of characters. No need for any kind of panic.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? BWFC v Sheffield Utd 25/8/18

Post by DJBlu » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:58 am

I think there will still be the faction that will never be happy with Phil Parkinson. Like those who didn't like Sam Allardyce through the years in which we had our most successful era.

Can I just ask where do these people think we should be as a club? If you are using Sheffield United as a benchmark are you including their prolonged stay in League One? Or just their more recent success?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:35 am

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:58 am
I think there will still be the faction that will never be happy with Phil Parkinson. Like those who didn't like Sam Allardyce through the years in which we had our most successful era.

Can I just ask where do these people think we should be as a club? If you are using Sheffield United as a benchmark are you including their prolonged stay in League One? Or just their more recent success?
Indeed. Blackburn under the basket case Venkys are just about to spend £6M on a striker today (well delayed till January but still). That is more money than we’ve invested into our first team in the past 5 seasons.

Being in this league in our current state is a huge achievement alone.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:35 am
DJBlu wrote:

Indeed. Blackburn under the basket case Venkys are just about to spend £6M on a striker today (well delayed till January but still). That is more money than we’ve invested into our first team in the past 5 seasons.

Being in this league in our current state is a huge achievement alone.
Without the success Parky has achieved in the last two years, there wouldn't in all likelihood be a BWFC!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:00 pm

With our new army, maybe a little less "Alamo" style defending in our fortress Phil, and a bit more getting a few bodies forward and storming the enemy ramparts. Lets get back to a quick recovery and get back on track. The University of Bolton wasn't built in a decade...er....anyway, up and at em. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:20 pm

Just a blip.

I blame it on a poorly laid out thread title.

Blunting the Blades and walking on the Wilder side? - Sheffield Utd (H) 25/08/18

That would have done it.

Sweet
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Sweet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:29 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:22 pm
Sweet wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:32 pm
Should be a good atmosphere, always a great following from the Blades.
Realistic score 1:3
Jesus is a Blade - are you still trolling on here?!

Actually think you might be right on the score though. We've rode our luck a bit and that has to end soon.

1-3 loss and we're all in awe at the 'great Blades following' :roll: (Wednesday always bring more and make more noise anyway)
Your welcome :D

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:20 pm

In what way has he improved anything? The sheer dreariness of watching his sides play football has far more 'tediousness' factor than Coyle's side. To be honest I'd welcome Coyle, Lennon, or Freedman back, knowing they'd plummet, but at least give me some 'entertainment'.
The facetious argument he is 'good' depends entirely on the fact we are in the Championship and not in League 2. Hardly a ringing endorsement of "Good".
Amazing post. PP has stopped the slide that many of us thought might end up with us slipping out of league 1, with the possible consequence of us slipping out of existence altogether.

He's cobbled teams together with no budget and with the best players continually pulled from under him. He's had to try to attract and integrate players who are capped at relatively low maximum salaries. He's had to rally the troops when off the field they are not being paid, are on strike, or are wondering whether their employer will still exist in a week's time.

He got us promoted from league 1 and kept us in the Championship. Sunderland had a reported £100m windfall from dropping out of the premier league last season, compared with our assumed £0. And we finished above them.

He somehow created a spirit in the team that was capable of coming back against Forest last season when anyone with any sense would have bet everything they own on us not staying up.

Along with KA he's helped attract god-knows-how many players this summer, and is building a team that genuinely doesn't look by far the weakest in the league this season. A team that has won 2 & drawn 1 of the first 4 games of the season.

Yes, of course the squad is limited. We will struggle sometimes and we will get thumped. Teams will see us as cannon fodder and we will endure many a tedious match I'm sure. Some of our players will disappoint and underperform, but these players were most likely cast offs from our rivals.....

How has he improved anything? Surely you must be having a laugh if you can't see what's plainly in front of your face??????

The facetious argument he is 'good' depends entirely on the fact we are in the Championship and not in League 2. Hardly a ringing endorsement of "Good"
Of course it fecking is - what's wrong with you? A manager that - with all the shit thats gone on over recent years - gets us up to the Championship instead of dropping down to league 2, absolutely qualifies as "good". Very good i'd say....
Wanted to write something like this myself but couldn't be bothered, so thanks and I 100% agree.

It's really unfathomable some of the negative things said on here about parky. Really people want us to play better football but whatever they say they wouldn't be happy if we were losing. So what they mean is, they want us to play beautiful football, and win, and stay up, and progress, and it must be done on a negative budget against teams spending millions, and we must win if they have bought a ticket of course, oh and we must also be better than the opposition even without rest! if only we had a better manager we could play it on the deck and Vela and Magennis would storm the league, goals galore! Just like Brazil. Get Ozzy on he'll do it all himself.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:41 pm

DJBlu wrote:

Some fans hated Sam. Some fans hated Kevin Davies. Some hated Kevin Nolan. Some fans wanted to get relegated so that we'd play great football in the Championship.

Some folk are odd.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Don't kid yourself.

All folk are odd.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 pm
Don't kid yourself.

All folk are odd.
Not me. I'm weird.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 pm
dave the minion wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:20 pm

In what way has he improved anything? The sheer dreariness of watching his sides play football has far more 'tediousness' factor than Coyle's side. To be honest I'd welcome Coyle, Lennon, or Freedman back, knowing they'd plummet, but at least give me some 'entertainment'.
The facetious argument he is 'good' depends entirely on the fact we are in the Championship and not in League 2. Hardly a ringing endorsement of "Good".
Amazing post. PP has stopped the slide that many of us thought might end up with us slipping out of league 1, with the possible consequence of us slipping out of existence altogether.

He's cobbled teams together with no budget and with the best players continually pulled from under him. He's had to try to attract and integrate players who are capped at relatively low maximum salaries. He's had to rally the troops when off the field they are not being paid, are on strike, or are wondering whether their employer will still exist in a week's time.

He got us promoted from league 1 and kept us in the Championship. Sunderland had a reported £100m windfall from dropping out of the premier league last season, compared with our assumed £0. And we finished above them.

He somehow created a spirit in the team that was capable of coming back against Forest last season when anyone with any sense would have bet everything they own on us not staying up.

Along with KA he's helped attract god-knows-how many players this summer, and is building a team that genuinely doesn't look by far the weakest in the league this season. A team that has won 2 & drawn 1 of the first 4 games of the season.

Yes, of course the squad is limited. We will struggle sometimes and we will get thumped. Teams will see us as cannon fodder and we will endure many a tedious match I'm sure. Some of our players will disappoint and underperform, but these players were most likely cast offs from our rivals.....

How has he improved anything? Surely you must be having a laugh if you can't see what's plainly in front of your face??????

The facetious argument he is 'good' depends entirely on the fact we are in the Championship and not in League 2. Hardly a ringing endorsement of "Good"
Of course it fecking is - what's wrong with you? A manager that - with all the shit thats gone on over recent years - gets us up to the Championship instead of dropping down to league 2, absolutely qualifies as "good". Very good i'd say....
Wanted to write something like this myself but couldn't be bothered, so thanks and I 100% agree.

It's really unfathomable some of the negative things said on here about parky. Really people want us to play better football but whatever they say they wouldn't be happy if we were losing. So what they mean is, they want us to play beautiful football, and win, and stay up, and progress, and it must be done on a negative budget against teams spending millions, and we must win if they have bought a ticket of course, oh and we must also be better than the opposition even without rest! if only we had a better manager we could play it on the deck and Vela and Magennis would storm the league, goals galore! Just like Brazil. Get Ozzy on he'll do it all himself.

Perfect summary. Vast majority of attending fans love Parky. A vocal minority of keyboard warriors don’t like him. It’s the way it is. You get the odd grumble at Bolton from the usual malcontents but generally he’s been appreciated by the crowds at the Macro...unibol stadium.

First manager since Big Sam to be in a position where his job is rarely seriously questioned. Even when it looked like we were going down last season many still wanted him to stay.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:43 pm
Not me. I'm weird.
That's odd!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 pm

I think the negative criticism of Parky is pretty low percentage Spartan. Most on here think he's done a great job and nobody is calling for his head, just the opposite. He's a good manager fighting against tremendous financial odds. We're lucky we have a team at all and it's frustration at the situation rather than the manager that causes discontent. Personally I think beautiful football is a load of bollox if all it does is look pretty and have no impact in terms of goals. We do need to get forward more and if longball is our game, then at least have somebody forward to wallop it to. But for Eddie Davis's write off of our debt, The University of Bolton Stadium might well be another Normid site (or somesuch) and I doubt any of us really ever forget that. We've had a lousy few seasons for many reasons and nobody really expects miracles in our saner moments. We'll get there, but it won't be in a hurry and without some serious battling.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:49 am

Okay, having calmed down a bit after the weekend I have a few thoughts.

Firstly, Luke Murphy should be embarrassed by that display. Few of the players had a good day, but Murphy was just lazy. I'm still annoyed by that showing and he needs to sort it out. I was a bit annoyed at Buckley, but at least the lad tried.

Ben Alnwick conceded 3 goals and was still better than the previous match. Without his saves we'd have lost 5-0 and he managed to keep his head even when his defence dissolved in front of him on almost every set piece.

Grounds was poor, but it was his first league start and you can make excuses accordingly. None of his mates helped him out.

We had three games in a week and you could see the lack of match preparation. You can understand that. You can also understand the fatigue in certain players. The complacency isn't acceptable and they need (and deserve) a kick up the arse before we go to Deepdale.

Mark Beevers is on borrowed time, for me. I thought he was really, really poor. Wheater wasn't great, but Beevers looked totally lost. I'd blame it on Ground's debut, but in truth Beevers moving out of position actually made life harder for Grounds and not the other way around. Add in that Buckley failed to deal with Basham's forward movement and Grounds was in for one.

The attitude from some players was good. Olkowski, Ameobi, Vela, Lowe and Magennis kept putting the yards in and tried to make things happen. Not great displays, but in a disjointed side they did what they could.

We have got to use the international break to work on a home system. We can't keep trying to play the way we are, especially when only certain players seem to have got the memo on this whole "passing" thing. When we lost the ball in the final third we were asking the 2 mids (Vela was pushing up) to cover the 60 yards in the centre of the pitch and stop Sheff Utd passing - it's just not possible. Wheater and Beevers will not step up, so something has to give. Phil will have two weeks to figure it out before QPR.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:55 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:49 am
Okay, having calmed down a bit after the weekend I have a few thoughts.

Firstly, Luke Murphy should be embarrassed by that display. Few of the players had a good day, but Murphy was just lazy. I'm still annoyed by that showing and he needs to sort it out. I was a bit annoyed at Buckley, but at least the lad tried.

Ben Alnwick conceded 3 goals and was still better than the previous match. Without his saves we'd have lost 5-0 and he managed to keep his head even when his defence dissolved in front of him on almost every set piece.

Grounds was poor, but it was his first league start and you can make excuses accordingly. None of his mates helped him out.

We had three games in a week and you could see the lack of match preparation. You can understand that. You can also understand the fatigue in certain players. The complacency isn't acceptable and they need (and deserve) a kick up the arse before we go to Deepdale.

Mark Beevers is on borrowed time, for me. I thought he was really, really poor. Wheater wasn't great, but Beevers looked totally lost. I'd blame it on Ground's debut, but in truth Beevers moving out of position actually made life harder for Grounds and not the other way around. Add in that Buckley failed to deal with Basham's forward movement and Grounds was in for one.

The attitude from some players was good. Olkowski, Ameobi, Vela, Lowe and Magennis kept putting the yards in and tried to make things happen. Not great displays, but in a disjointed side they did what they could.

We have got to use the international break to work on a home system. We can't keep trying to play the way we are, especially when only certain players seem to have got the memo on this whole "passing" thing. When we lost the ball in the final third we were asking the 2 mids (Vela was pushing up) to cover the 60 yards in the centre of the pitch and stop Sheff Utd passing - it's just not possible. Wheater and Beevers will not step up, so something has to give. Phil will have two weeks to figure it out before QPR.
I'm worried we've signed a total dud.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:26 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Perfect summary. Vast majority of attending fans love Parky. A vocal minority of keyboard warriors don’t like him. It’s the way it is. You get the odd grumble at Bolton from the usual malcontents but generally he’s been appreciated by the crowds at the Macro...unibol stadium.

First manager since Big Sam to be in a position where his job is rarely seriously questioned. Even when it looked like we were going down last season many still wanted him to stay.
Hold on....I know that you are 'Mr know it all' but how on earth can you possibly know this as a fact ?

Do you know all 12,000 - 13,000 home fans personally, do you talk to them all ?, probably only 1% of fans (probably less than that even) ever post on a website or on twitter....it is simply not a true reflection of supporters....lots of fans sat near me on Saturday were 'grumbling', loads - shaking heads & moaning at the amount of times we passed backwards, and at the amount aimless passes....I heard 'come on Parkinson sort it out' at least 4 times in the 1st half (and that wasn't from me !), and on the concourse about 5 mins before the half time whistle on Saturday several fans watching the game on the TV's with a pint where shouting obscenities about Parkinson at the TV screen

The ones I speak to i.e. relatives, friends, lads in the pub who are all BWFC fans - I would say that the majority think that Parkinson has done a great job of getting us up & keeping us up with the lack of funds and the fact that our chairman hasn't got a pot to piss in - but seriously around 1/2 if not more hate Parkinson's style of boring, tedious, style of non football....lots of long time BWFC don't go because of the shit football (yes this may be an excuse but its what they say - this is as much a fact as someone on here saying that the vast majority love Parky)

Attendances are already plummeting this season....mainly I think due to the cost of individual home match tickets for non ST holders, and the awful non football we are playing at home. I thought the home attendance on Saturday (saying that we are 3rd in the league) was very poor and very disappointing.

Its not Parkinson himself that people dislike, its the football on display - no one is asking for Brazil / Barcelona type of football....stringing 2 or 3 passes together would be a start, playing at a decent tempo instead of at a snails pace - actually having someone run 10 yards with the ball at their feet would also be a start....just some sort of football, every team we play plays at a higher tempo, their players 'pass & move', they attack at pace, shoot regularly....

So its absolutely not true that the vast majority of fans love Parky....its sheer speculation based on a very small sample size

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:36 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:26 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Hold on....I know that you are 'Mr know it all' but how on earth can you possibly know this as a fact ?

Do you know all 12,000 - 13,000 home fans personally, do you talk to them all ?, probably only 1% of fans (probably less than that even) ever post on a website or on twitter....it is simply not a true reflection of supporters....lots of fans sat near me on Saturday were 'grumbling', loads - shaking heads & moaning at the amount of times we passed backwards, and at the amount aimless passes....I heard 'come on Parkinson sort it out' at least 4 times in the 1st half (and that wasn't from me !), and on the concourse about 5 mins before the half time whistle on Saturday several fans watching the game on the TV's with a pint where shouting obscenities about Parkinson at the TV screen

The ones I speak to i.e. relatives, friends, lads in the pub who are all BWFC fans - I would say that the majority think that Parkinson has done a great job of getting us up & keeping us up with the lack of funds and the fact that our chairman hasn't got a pot to piss in - but seriously around 1/2 if not more hate Parkinson's style of boring, tedious, style of non football....lots of long time BWFC don't go because of the shit football (yes this may be an excuse but its what they say - this is as much a fact as someone on here saying that the vast majority love Parky)

Attendances are already plummeting this season....mainly I think due to the cost of individual home match tickets for non ST holders, and the awful non football we are playing at home. I thought the home attendance on Saturday (saying that we are 3rd in the league) was very poor and very disappointing.

Its not Parkinson himself that people dislike, its the football on display - no one is asking for Brazil / Barcelona type of football....stringing 2 or 3 passes together would be a start, playing at a decent tempo instead of at a snails pace - actually having someone run 10 yards with the ball at their feet would also be a start....just some sort of football, every team we play plays at a higher tempo, their players 'pass & move', they attack at pace, shoot regularly....

So its absolutely not true that the vast majority of fans love Parky....its sheer speculation based on a very small sample size
I’ve rarely if ever heard anyone seriously calling for his head. I go to all home and a decent number of aways. Everyone I speak to is appreciative of what he’s done. That is different to everyone being 100% happy all the time of course.

But still. Big Sam had the same moans and look what happened when he left.

The poster I was replying to nailed it. People might say ‘we just want entertainment even if we lose’. But entertainment really means play top football and win. It’s very hard to do that with the budgets we’ve had. Nobody is doing it. Not having spent £200K in the past three seasons whilst selling £11M worth of players.

Reality is that we could bring in Ian Holloway who might want us to press and play on the front foot with these players but if it didn’t work and we lost week in week out there would be a lot more unhappiness.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:51 am

Goes back to DSB's (?) post a while back

Entertaining winning football >winning football>entertaining losing football>losing football

I love us being up against it, massive under dogs and grinding out a win. It can be pretty tedious though when we get played off the park like Saturday though.

Murphy and Grounds will be fine I'm sure. They looked lost, as did a few others in that first half. Whether that was due to the amount of changes in the side or the movement of Sheffield I don't know. Anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards (from 21st not 3rd!)
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:36 am

I’ve rarely if ever heard anyone seriously calling for his head. I go to all home and a decent number of aways. Everyone I speak to is appreciative of what he’s done. That is different to everyone being 100% happy all the time of course.

But still. Big Sam had the same moans and look what happened when he left.

The poster I was replying to nailed it. People might say ‘we just want entertainment even if we lose’. But entertainment really means play top football and win. It’s very hard to do that with the budgets we’ve had. Nobody is doing it. Not having spent £200K in the past three seasons whilst selling £11M worth of players.

Reality is that we could bring in Ian Holloway who might want us to press and play on the front foot with these players but if it didn’t work and we lost week in week out there would be a lot more unhappiness.
I agree that no fans are calling for his head, and that he needs more funds etc - but my point is that this doesn't equate to 'the vast majority of fans love Parky'.... I also agree that most are appreciate of what he's done, in fact I'd say that they are very appreciative, but honestly a lot still whinge or moan at the football on display - it is dull & boring....but no one wants to be entertained even if we lose.

All some fans (and its more than you think, maybe not as many as I think) are asking for is some occasional football to be played, even just a little enjoyment to get you off your seat, every BWFC fan wants the team to succeed - but people won't pay to be bored shitless which means that it'll be ST holders only at home (and I even know a few ST holders who only go to half of the games)

It may be down to the players ability compared to the opponents players & it may not the manager ?, but we've brought in so called better quality players and I appreciate that its early days but we appear (only based on the games I've attended) to be set up to play exactly the same way as Parkinson always does.

I said after the game on Saturday....its down to the managers coaching & overall football philosophy in regards to the way the managers want to play football - I even think that sometimes the football teams & the way they play mirror the managers personality, and that a manager like Wilder would get our squad of players playing better quality of football than Parkinson - Parkinson's % game, playing off scraps works for him....but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to like it. Is it to much to ask to see at least some enjoyable football over the 90/95 mins....you have to agree that the crowd, atmosphere on Saturday was poor and that the attendance was lower than expected....and that's with us sat in 3rd place !