Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:42 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:24 pm
I've got a "bridge" for sale.
I'm in.
Well his first name is Michael and he scored loads for Sunderland... You can have him and Kevin Davies at the same time.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:44 pm

Anyway, guy I know who semi-follows Forest Green says:

"He's scored a load of goals for Forest Green but he's 26 and hasn't played above League 2."

So that's helpful.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm fine with this one. I'd rather a 26 year old who might have something about him than a 34+ player whose best days are certainly behind him and whose wages eat up that cash anyway.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:59 pm
I'm fine with this one. I'd rather a 26 year old who might have something about him than a 34+ player whose best days are certainly behind him and whose wages eat up that cash anyway.
If they score goals I care naught how old they are, what league they play in or whether they come from Barcelona or Barton Bridge. Long ball, short ball, beautiful game or Wallop Wanderers matters not at 4-45 0n Saturdays; only the result. In advance, I also care not that B.W.F.C.Insane disagrees. Just thought I'd mention that too.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
and noone in rumours

I think we've already signed him? :conf:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:44 pm
Where will they come from?

Premier league starlet?
Championship has-been?
League One nobody?
Johnny Foreigner?
Did not see that coming. Ken's gone on tilt amd pushed all-in on a two and a seven
He's betting that goals are goals regardless of where they're scored.

POSITIVES
He's tall.
And he's young-ish. Resale value?
93 L2 games for 34 goals is good-ish. Works out as one per 200mins.
I'd say he's better than Conor Hall...
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 pm
If they score goals I care naught how old they are, what league they play in or whether they come from Barcelona or Barton Bridge. Long ball, short ball, beautiful game or Wallop Wanderers matters not at 4-45 0n Saturdays; only the result. In advance, I also care not that B.W.F.C.Insane disagrees. Just thought I'd mention that too.. :wink:
It matters for our financial future. If a 26-year-old is a hit he's worth millions. If a 34+ year old is a hit he's still worth sod-all.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:30 am

TRANSFER WINDOW SUMMARY
Has the squad actually improved?
Examine the position groups if you will.
KEY: 6 = below average, 7 = average championship level, 8 = good

Goalkeeping: Same: Remi = Howard :| 7.5

Centrebacks: Same: Wilson, Hobbs = Reece Burke, Dervite, Derik, :| 6.5

Fullbacks: Same-worse: Olki + Grounds/Taylor = Little + Antonee. :| :oops: 6.5

Defensive mids: Much better: Lowe, Williams, O'Neill, Murphy >> Henry,Pratley, Kirchoff, Derik :D 7

Attacking mids:Same: Ozzy, Pritchard = Karacan, Morais :| 5.5

Wingers: Better: Wildschut > Chris Taylor; Noone18 > Noone17 :) 7 - because SAmeobi

Strikers: Better: Magennis = Madiine but Doidge, Donaldson > ALF, Wilbrahaim, Chinedu Obasi :)6.5

Overall, overhauling our midfield, I believe will pay dividends. We can sit back in our turtle defence and be a tough nut to crack. Half the time it should be enough to be competitive. If we can keep our confidence despite the odd Sheff Utd result now and then, tenacity should earn us enough points to be safe.

We dumped a lot of dead wood this summer and while we have only 8 or so under contract for next year they are the right ones. The ones with resale value. We'll need another window of savvy frees and getting all our decisions right but we've mostly made good moves. We really still need a left back, a proven passing attacking mid and a quick, young(er) centreback.
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:28 am

One small wish is that a prolific goal scorer will be allowed a bit of time to do what he does best without re-packaging him into a plan or system that might not suit him. He's already stated how he functions best so I hope he gets a bit of flexibility. Even Big Sam had a basic, "my way or the highway" , rule, but let the man loose a little first. If it works, great, if not then that's the time to change things. More than anything, get his some support and don't let's have another "Billy no-mates" situation where his only function is to defend the pass till the cavalry arrive. Lower league or no, we obviously took him for his best function. Use it.....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Also, if you think the "million" Sunderland paid for Wyke and the "million" we've just paid are the same, I've got a "bridge" for sale.
In an interesting deadline diary today, Iles says "A fee which will touch the £1million mark depending on a string of bonuses was agreed mid-afternoon." It's very unlikely we'll ever know the structure of those bonuses, but I think we know the structure of Ken's trouser pockets.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... -unfurled/

...and in his matchday MBM he's split it further:

"So... Been asked to break down what I know about the Christian Doidge deal. Here goes. The top line figure, as in what will be paid after all bonuses are paid, is £1million. I understand the figure up front is half of that - i.e. £500,000. The rest is made up with bonuses. Quite a few of them. Some relate to Doidge's appearances and goals, plus international call-up for Wales. Others on Bolton's position."
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... wanderers/ (c. 1.45pm)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Ta fot that. Interesting.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm

From Kenneth's post-match missive:

We were very close with two other forwards, Liam Boyce of Burton Albion and Derby County’s David Nugent, and we will definitely seek out options again for January.

We had a deal agreed with Derby for Nugent but he ultimately decided that he wanted to fight for his place there. While Burton decided that they wanted Boyce to remain with them despite our placing of a seven-figure bid.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/septem ... -chairman/
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm

Lol. #sevenfigurebid

Anyway, now it's (slammed) shut. Roaring success for me. Don't think we're weaker anywhere (maybe Parky Nadine was better than any of our current forwards but overall we're stronger there) and much better in certain positions (RB and vitally CM where we woeful last year).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:16 pm
Lol. #sevenfigurebid

Anyway, now it's (slammed) shut. Roaring success for me. Don't think we're weaker anywhere (maybe Parky Nadine was better than any of our current forwards but overall we're stronger there) and much better in certain positions (RB and vitally CM where we woeful last year).
Magennis all round is better. Lad never stops running and has pace which gets us out. Not as good in the air with his back to goal though, not quite as strong. But I prefer his mobility. Madine is the better individual player but in our system I think Josh is a better fit.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Lol. #sevenfigurebid

I think we've done really quite well, even if I wouldn't quite hail it a roaring success. I'm pleased that Wheater and Beevers are still here but I'd have liked us to have signed a more mobile "footballing" centre-back, if only because of how it might've enabled us to more easily play a more pleasing style of football / avoid us our drifting into our regular habit of sitting deep to accomodate for a lack of pace. Also, at first impression, and I'm being harsh on Grounds here because he's only played the once, I think it's doubtful that we're stronger at left-back.

Further forward, we now have more options than we have previously. Signing wor Sammy to a two-year contract was a no-brainer, but nevertheless very good business. Magennis has started solidly, Doidge intrigues me, and from what I've heard about him I think Williams will be an important player for us. On the evidence thus far though, it appears as though we'll struggle to fit Oztumer into any starting eleven but then again we're perhaps better placed than ever to try.

Finally, whoever it was that recommended Olkowski to us / us to Olkowski, take a bow. We need to allow that person more involvement in our recruitment strategy.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 pm

We were very close with two other forwards, Liam Boyce of Burton Albion and Derby County’s David Nugent, and we will definitely seek out options again for January.

We had a deal agreed with Derby for Nugent but he ultimately decided that he wanted to fight for his place there. While Burton decided that they wanted Boyce to remain with them despite our placing of a seven-figure bid.

Is it just me that thinks publicly revealing missed transfer targets by name is a bit rum?

It seems generally to be not the done thing.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:27 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Lol. #sevenfigurebid

Magennis all round is better. Lad never stops running and has pace which gets us out. Not as good in the air with his back to goal though, not quite as strong. But I prefer his mobility. Madine is the better individual player but in our system I think Josh is a better fit.
From the bits I've seen he's been a revelation, but looking at his career to date this might be a purple patch (it's a small sample size). That said you could say the same about Nadine (pre-PP)

We don't have as many options at LB as we did last year but the rest of the team is good enough that we don't need to rely on our LB going forward. And defensively Taylor is spot on. Sounds like Grounds struggled last week but his career suggests there's a player in there.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:58 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:13 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:

Is it just me that thinks publicly revealing missed transfer targets by name is a bit rum?

His son spends too long on Twitter. The whole Cisse thing is to appease the bell ends that spend their lives on there. Just need to accept there are utter pricks (the one who calls himself smurf for one, shortland another) who revel in everything negative and will not give it up rather than giving them more ammo with continuous statements.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:40 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:

Perhaps, but it's common knowledge we've been in for those two in particular so not exactly new information.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:40 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:

Perhaps, but it's common knowledge we've been in for those two in particular so not exactly new information.

Liam Boyce started and scored for Burton Albion today; I doubt that they appreciate us publicly stating we were in for him. As you say, it was fairly common knowledge, and I expect that he himself was probably aware of the interest, but it's hardly something that should be confirmed in official communications in my opinion. It's a minor gripe, but still.