What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:15 pm
Oztumer might help us win some tight games against deeper defences. We didn't get many of those last year, but the way this first tranche of games has gone, we might get more this time. He's a different kind of player and he may, as someone said on here recently, also be the key to getting the best out of Wildschut.

Oz was notably more involved when Ameobi came on against Birmingham. They didn't necessarily link-up very often, but it just seemed as though he gained something from the realisation that there was finally someone on his wavelength. Prior to that, he did look a bit lost, but then taking into considering the way we were set up, it's perhaps understandable.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: What gives? The Invincibles (old) v The Invincibles (away). Preston (a) 1/9/18 3pm

Post by mullayo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:23 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:09 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:53 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:55 pm
What on Earth has gone on after the final whistle??
The way mic man called it, looks like Williams had been upsetting one/some? of the opposition players. A bit of a John Wayne bar-room brawl started then with everybody involved. No idea who was to blame but Pearson get a red card. Ref then came down our end and mic man thought Williams was getting one too. Luckily, he got a yellow instead so it look like Pearson was the villain.
Oh if he's an orrible little cnut too I'm all in.
Yeah that's my only concern with him, he might get a Joey Barton/Robbie Savage rep.
When he so doesn't need to.
He can really play.
He's the guy you want getting the ball next after you've turned it over cause he'll pick out a long pass like the one that sent Magennis away and led to our first goal.

I love the mongrel in his heart though, he inspires others. I was smiling as he was having words before kickoff in his debut. He sets the tone. Then he stuck up for a couple of our players who'd been clattered, Then he berated the ref. O'Neill had to pull him to the side a few times - bless O'Neill he's been Mr Miyagi to Daniel-san. Re-sign him now.

Everything you see on his highlight reel was there for Smokin' Joe. Decent height, decent speed, exceptional ability on the ball for a defensive mid, long range passing ability, excellent slide tackling, intimidation, leadership, toughness, and that mongrel that keeps you going until the end.
Suck it Wigan we got the good one!

I just think he needs to make his initial rep for his playing ability instead of his hot headedness
Or it will haunt him, cause refs are really stupid. Kevin Davies suffered from an inflated rep his whole career.
He had hundreds of legit penalties and free kicks waved away and it was carte blanche for centrebacks fouling him.

WHat a triumph-vrate midfield we have now. O'Neill did all Vela's running and more but added value with his experience and nous including a centrefield rugby tackle that got him carded. + corners and frees.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:30 am

new fave team 4-3-3 for QPR
They have a -10 goal differential!

--------------Annic-----------------
-Olki-----Whe-----Wilson---Grounds
--Smokin'Joe--Lowe---Mr Miyagi------
---SAmeobi------Magic-----No-one---
--------------------------------------------
What could've happened; did.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:32 am

This was such a good game. The exciting part about it was that for periods we overpowered Preston. We were really dynamic in midfield, Williams and O'Neil were awesome. This is the first time since we came up that I have had the sense that we could be a really good team at this level. If we had a right footed Ameobi on the other side I would be backing us to make the play offs.

There were some notable individual performances:

Williams - looks a real hard running, dynamic talent. Very confident in possession, puts himself about. Was consistently mouthing off and getting in the face of their players. What could be more annoying, a mouthy, cocky, chirpy, young, over confident scouser, who can back it up with his play? "Nothing" said the voice in Ben Pearson's head! A futile three game ban to follow!

Olkowski - It feels like I am repeating myself a lot, but you could watch a number of Prem games before you see a better all round right back. My motm.

Ameobi - The best attacking player on the pitch, despite not everything coming off for him. Always kept receiving the ball, and looked a real threat.

Wildschut - Terrible. One of those games that leaves you wondering how can a player get to this level without mastering the elementary basics of the game that you should learn from your PE teacher at school? And yet, with the runs he makes and his pace it is still tempting to pick him for the next game.

O'Neil - The oldest player on the pitch, yet still doing Vela like pressing the 90th minute. Wonderful energy.

Lowe - Really good game and unlucky when his second half goalbound shot was blocked near the line.

I came out of this game the most buoyed about our prospects for years. There will be times when we don't have enough invention in the final third to create enough chances. One wonders if we would've ever got back into it had their keeper saved Ameobi's shot as he should have. However, we showed today a lot of power and energy that can overpower teams. Also it was damned entertaining. The next time you get the old "one dimensional Parky" posts, this game can be cited as a counter to that. Hoorah!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:41 am

jmjhb wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:42 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:28 pm
Yes. Please.

On a slightly different note, wtf is Parky's accent?! He's meant to be from Chorley. I know he spent a lot of time down south, but so have I, and I don't sound like that!
Went down south for a bit then grew up in Stockton I believe. He went to Southampton's Gateshead (yes really!) Centre of Excellence.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/7 ... o_cash_in/

An article from 12 years ago when he was Colchester boss.
Ah lovely stuff. Cheers. Still can't pin his accent mind.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:32 am

I came out of this game the most buoyed about our prospects for years. There will be times when we don't have enough invention in the final third to create enough chances. One wonders if we would've ever got back into it had their keeper saved Ameobi's shot as he should have. However, we showed today a lot of power and energy that can overpower teams. Also it was damned entertaining. The next time you get the old "one dimensional Parky" posts, this game can be cited as a counter to that. Hoorah!
Question Bristol: Not having seen the game and giving Preston credit as a useful side, we did create opportunities and put two of them away as well as going close on a couple more occasions. That in mind, our defence didn't seem bad and there was an element of luck about their goals; one, we were caught napping believing their player offside, and two, a snap shot from distance caught Ben out. In that respect, both of our goals (as I've seen from the highlights) were every bit as good as theirs. Overall, was the result fair enough? Did we do enough to win it?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:18 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:58 pm
2-2.

3 great goals in that game.
Looked like one cracker and one defensive calamity each, to me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

Question Bristol: Not having seen the game and giving Preston credit as a useful side, we did create opportunities and put two of them away as well as going close on a couple more occasions. That in mind, our defence didn't seem bad and there was an element of luck about their goals; one, we were caught napping believing their player offside, and two, a snap shot from distance caught Ben out. In that respect, both of our goals (as I've seen from the highlights) were every bit as good as theirs. Overall, was the result fair enough? Did we do enough to win it?
I personally think we deserved to win it. And the shots and shots on target stats back that up.

We went two down and had been the better side. Their first goal was a gift from Wildschut. Their second a worldie. But they were the only two attacks they constructed in the first 15 minutes. We were on top possession and territory wise then and for the majority of the first half. We got a little ragged for five minutes at 2-0 down but then regained our composure.

Second half Preston changed things up and clearly were prepared to load midfield as I think they worried they’d lose the game otherwise. They had more of the ball. But we still had the better chances. Lowe’s shot blocked a few yards out was almost certainly hitting the back of the net otherwise.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:12 am

Unable to watch the game yesterday but really encouraged by what I've read on here this morning. Especially pleased to hear that the boy Williams impressed, just a shame he's not ours!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:31 am

Wildschut is a flaky winger who does flaky winger things. Against Reading and today he made runs no-one else in the squad could make. One he stuck away for three points which could keep us up, the other he fell over his feet. He also gave a goal away with a shocking pass mind, which isn't great.

Ameobi also goes through periods where things don't come off and people start getting on his back. If you want limited grafters, we've got a ton of those, but if you want players who can make things happen, you're going to get an element of boom or bust.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 am

Folk on here had a pop at Ameobi when he first signed, said he was too leggy and clumsy and not good enough. And look at him now.

Wildschut took his goal against Reading superbly and obviously can do good things. Right now, I'd rather see Noone start and Wildschut make an impact from the bench.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:44 am

There is a huge difference between Ameobi and Wildschut. Ameobi holds the ball. He is an outlet. What he does in the final 3rd is definitely hit and miss.

But right now Wildschut is mainly a liability all over the park. I think he’s low on confidence. And his pace is an asset. But you cannot carry him right now unless he shapes up. He either has to look a lot more solid when needed. Or add more consistency to his attacking game because he’s being carried by ten others on the evidence of yesterday.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:48 am

The guys scored two match winning goals for us this season already, if he was a top drawer footballer with no flaws he wouldn’t be playing for us. Might be a case for having off the bench against tired legs. Is he an improvement on Morais? Looks that way to me...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:07 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:

I personally think we deserved to win it. And the shots and shots on target stats back that up.

We went two down and had been the better side. Their first goal was a gift from Wildschut. Their second a worldie. But they were the only two attacks they constructed in the first 15 minutes. We were on top possession and territory wise then and for the majority of the first half. We got a little ragged for five minutes at 2-0 down but then regained our composure.

Second half Preston changed things up and clearly were prepared to load midfield as I think they worried they’d lose the game otherwise. They had more of the ball. But we still had the better chances. Lowe’s shot blocked a few yards out was almost certainly hitting the back of the net otherwise.
It is a hard question Tango. Goals change the flow of games, and the fact that we had gone two goals down probably caused us to have more urgency and them to possibly sit off towards the end of the first half, when we were completely dominant. I think a draw was possibly the fairest result, but if it was a boxing match(which it eventually became) then we would certainly have won on points. If we had won, a fair minded Preston fan would've had no complaints on the balance of play, whereas we would've felt robbed had we lost. We didn't create a load of clear cut chances though, and the second half was about even, so I would say a draw was just about fair.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:24 pm

I thought from the first moment I saw him play for us, I knew that Wildschut would be frustrating. I might upgrade that to infuriating. But I agree with the posts above he gives us a threat that no other player in the squad provides. His run yesterday just before half time, superbly found by Ameobi, got him in with a decent chance but his first touch was awful and it was gone. Buckley or Noone aren't making that run, same with goal against Reading. So I think it might be a case of swallowing his frequent awfulness, particularly away from home, and hope he improves a bit whilst still providing the threat.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:44 am
There is a huge difference between Ameobi and Wildschut. Ameobi holds the ball. He is an outlet. What he does in the final 3rd is definitely hit and miss.

But right now Wildschut is mainly a liability all over the park. I think he’s low on confidence. And his pace is an asset. But you cannot carry him right now unless he shapes up. He either has to look a lot more solid when needed. Or add more consistency to his attacking game because he’s being carried by ten others on the evidence of yesterday.

Ameobi is doing that currently, which is great. He doesn't do it consistently across a season, and goes through periods where he might as well be playing on the moon for all the use he is to the rest of the team.

Bolton fans have always overrated players who work hard, do simple things and don't make obvious mistakes over players who often look maddeningly shit, but who have the ability to win games. You only have to look at who wins the POTS awards - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Wa ... f_the_Year

Craig Noone is a good player to have around, but he's got one goal and one assist in 31 appearances for us. Wildschut has scored twice in less than three full matches of being on the pitch. Who needs to add more consistency to their attacking game?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Doesn't matter - people were slating Ameobi after his debut for us. Maybe you were one of them :D At that point, few could see what he offered us. He's grown, he's got better.

As you say, Wildschut might be low on confidence. He finished neatly against Reading, which suggests to me there's a player there. Let's give him time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ameobi is doing that currently, which is great. He doesn't do it consistently across a season, and goes through periods where he might as well be playing on the moon for all the use he is to the rest of the team.

Bolton fans have always overrated players who work hard, do simple things and don't make obvious mistakes over players who often look maddeningly shit, but who have the ability to win games. You only have to look at who wins the POTS awards - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Wa ... f_the_Year

Craig Noone is a good player to have around, but he's got one goal and one assist in 31 appearances for us. Wildschut has scored twice in less than three full matches of being on the pitch. Who needs to add more consistency to their attacking game?
Disagree. Ameobi has grafted his knackers off since signing for us. And never shirks his defensive duties. He might not always produce going forwards but always puts a shift in.

Wildschut isn’t doing that. And isn’t producing enough going forwards to compensate.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:26 pm

Aye and Ameobi was good from day one. That some of our more hard of understanding fans took their time to spot it is neither here nor there.

Still far too early to be writing Wildschut off mind, and he does seem to have something no-one else has. That pass on Saturday was criminal though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:26 pm
Aye and Ameobi was good from day one. That some of our more hard of understanding fans took their time to spot it is neither here nor there.

Still far too early to be writing Wildschut off mind, and he does seem to have something no-one else has. That pass on Saturday was criminal though.
Aye he has pace. And there is a player in there clearly. But needs some work sorting his head out.