Venarated to the top once, will the Wally repeat the Hollow folly? - QPR (H) 15/09/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Venarated to the top once, will the Wally repeat the Hollow folly? - QPR (H) 15/09/18

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:58 pm

That was utterly shocking, and I hope somebody goes down for murder for Johnathan Grounds, he makes Dean Moxey look like Ronaldo. I don't understand why we always set up as if we are playing away? Take the game to the opposition, or just make it look as though you have done something on the training ground!! The only player who looked like championship material out there was Olkowski..that lad is class, and Doidge was working hard up front all on his lonesome, get used to it lad! Felt sorry for him. It as boring until Magennis scored his goal and then we woke up...TOO LATE lads, we didnt deserve a point today and got what we deserved...and QPR arent great either

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Venarated to the top once, will the Wally repeat the Hollow folly? - QPR (H) 15/09/18

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:06 pm

57% of possession and 12 corners to 1. Stats saying we should have won this game.
Can't believe we didn't make chances from all those corners.
What could've happened; did.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 pm

To be fair QPR defended the corners well, they were the better side. McLaren not the clown he is made out to be, they did a good number on us today. Need to find a way of playing 2 up top or Oztumer at home we didn’t create enough until Magennis came on.

We have the centre midfielders now to play 442, though on today’s showing Vela should be in there not Williams. Once again the away team played with 2 up front so it can be done if your personnel is right.

Ameobi going off was massive. Wildschut decision making poor again.

Grounds is garbage. Marc Wilson next match please. Beevers poor as well. That defender needs shaking up as it’s shipping too many goals.

Doidge probably not ready. More ready than Hall but he did a few things that might have come off in league two, but it’s a big ask to step up to the championship. Certainly got some decent attributes to work with though.

Thought O’Neil and Olkowski were our best players. In terms of the weak links Grounds is obviously one, and Ameobi is head and shoulders above the rest of our wide players. Can see Buckley coming back into the side...Noone was poor and Wildschut is hit and miss. Could even give Oztumer a game out there?

Once again we can’t pay tribute to a former president with a win.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Called it. Shite at home and Parky needs to sort it out ASPAP otherwise it's gonna be a long season for ST holders.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm

The team does appear to be at least trying to evolve very slowly. They remind me a lot of England under Sven. We know it's important to keep possession and we're trying to pass it around more than last season but we're so pedestrian our possession means the back four passing it slowly to each other until the opposition have all eleven back in their own half, then one of our centre half launches it to 8 static white shirts.

QPR are a poor side but deserved their win and as said above, put paid to the myth you can't play two up top.

Olkowski easily motm despite him making more errors today than at any time this season. What a bit of business he's turning out to be. Are there any more in the Bundesliga like him?

Oh, and anyone who doesn't believe in reincarnation can't have been there today. I've just witnessed Ray Deakin, God rest his soul, come back to life in the form of Jonathan Grounds. Hapless would be the kindest description
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:43 pm
The team does appear to be at least trying to evolve very slowly. They remind me a lot of England under Sven. We know it's important to keep possession and we're trying to pass it around more than last season but we're so pedestrian our possession means the back four passing it slowly to each other until the opposition have all eleven back in their own half, then one of our centre half launches it to 8 static white shirts.

QPR are a poor side but deserved their win and as said above, put paid to the myth you can't play two up top.

Olkowski easily motm despite him making more errors today than at any time this season. What a bit of business he's turning out to be. Are there any more in the Bundesliga like him?

Oh, and anyone who doesn't believe in reincarnation can't have been there today. I've just witnessed Ray Deakin, God rest his soul, come back to life in the form of Jonathan Grounds. Hapless would be the kindest description
Makes losing Jedi to Wiggin that more terrible.

His performance was borderline match throwing bad.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Definitely evolving how we play. Has to. We can’t rely on one of every five of Beevers lumps forward coming off. Wingers need to do more, get to the by line and get the crosses in. We didn’t really overlap or double up on full backs today which was dissapointing.

Wilson has to be a better option than Grounds but he isn’t going to help us get forward. Pains me to say it but we missed Robinson at full back today.

Still squad wise we are in a much better position than last season - we could go to a 442 or use Oztumer in the 4231 to change it round. The team that starts away doesn’t necessarily need to be the one that starts at home.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Christ on a bendy 4ucking bus. What in the name of the blue blazes was that?

What happens during the week? Does it not occur to anybody that (a) If you hit every corner to the centre of the six yard line and hope for a different outcome than a centre half heading it out then you're a 4ucking imbecile? (b) Trying something different might work? How many corners did we have today? 10? 15?

Parkinson - How come, when we're at home against a side who've made a wretched start to the season do we start with a non-league striker playing in a one up top? Well?

The only midfielder who wasn't anonymous this afternoon was Noone, and that's only because he stuck his head above the parapet by having a shit first half. In the second he improved by actively avoiding the game.

Grounds at.... well, I can't really say Left Back as he was never there. Truly 4ucking awful - left QPR with a quarter of the pitch to break into for their first goal. A dreadful afternoon for that boy. Awful.

Utterly clueless all over the park today, well, with the notable exception of Olkowski, who once again proved to be potentially the classiest right back we've seen at our place in a generation. He must be wondering what the 4uck he's done!
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Missing a focal point at home for me. Last season at his best Madine made things happen at home with his ability to back into defenders. Magennis is better away because of his channel runs. At home we lack tools to break teams down. Especially when Ameobi isn’t playing well or at all.

Grounds has hardly played any football and hasn’t had a proper pre season. I will judge him when he’s fit. But he’s currently no good.

Oztumer might be the focal point but I think it’s a big ask to go from Walsall to the championship and play such a pivotal role under pressure. So far what I’ve seen of him he’s a bit off doing that.

The team is trying to play football but it’s predictably sideways passing and a bit too slow. However we could be on -1 now. And are still way ahead of last season.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:06 pm

How about Little to right wing or left back?
Wilson for Beevers.
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:13 pm
Missing a focal point at home for me. Last season at his best Madine made things happen at home with his ability to back into defenders. Magennis is better away because of his channel runs. At home we lack tools to break teams down. Especially when Ameobi isn’t playing well or at all.
Why so? Madine doesn't play for us anymore; he's gone. A game is a game, a pitch is a pitch and the numbers stay equal, ie eleven each.. Play good football and home or away shouldn't really matter that much except in supporter noise and numbers. If it did we'd never win away games and win all our home games. It shouldn't be such a factor and certainly not an excuse for giving away soft goals which is as much as reason for not winning as not scoring, more in our case. When we don't win it's usually not from facts and figures but because we don't play well enough. More possession, 11 corners to their 1 and we lose at home to a team not regarded as hot shots. For me, that's not from lack of tools but from lack of craftsmen using them right.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 am

Couldn’t believe the amount of corners we had and time and time again we only had five men in the box when they had all 11 in there. Three Bolton players stuck on the half way line.

Don’t like it when we try to play football. We don’t have the players or the creativity in the middle to do it. Hit it long to a target man and feed off that.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:00 am

Bollocks. One of the worst weeks imaginable capped off by a home defeat. Going into the game, I didn't think our two known injuries were going to cause us problems, but I think they did. Grounds, who I was quite happy to see playing as someone who might give us more of an attacking outlet down the left hand side, made poor decisions and was weak in the challenge that led to the second goal. Nakhi Wells also kept pulling onto his side, and he made some poor decisions that led to Wells regularly getting free to put in some dangerous crosses.

Doidge started well and looked lively and won a few early headers, but faded, and ended up looking like a L2 player who suddenly has come up against better and stronger defenders. No shame there, he will benefit from the experience but we missed Magennis today, as highlighted by how much of an impact he had when he came on.

In the end a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result, but fair play to Schteve. He set his team up to be strong defensively, and enterprising when they got it, and Freeman, Wells and Eze caused us a lot of problems, particularly down the left side of our defence with Grounds and Beevers looking very vulnerable.

Olkowski was our Motm by a huge distance. A 9/10 game, despite us losing. He stands out an absolute mile in our team. It is like playing in the park as a kid, and a bigger kid four years older decides he wants a game. Just a class above.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:10 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 am
Couldn’t believe the amount of corners we had and time and time again we only had five men in the box when they had all 11 in there. Three Bolton players stuck on the half way line.
Don’t like it when we try to play football. We don’t have the players or the creativity in the middle to do it. Hit it long to a target man and feed off that.
Steve Maclaren more or less admitted he was glad to get a way with the win after he claimed we "threw the kitchen sink at them" second half. Makes it all the more annoying we didn't tighten up in the first. Soft goals being scored against us seemed like a trademark last season; let's hope we don't repeat it this one.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:10 pm
enrdentw wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 am
Steve Maclaren more or less admitted he was glad to get a way with the win after he claimed we "threw the kitchen sink at them" second half. Makes it all the more annoying we didn't tighten up in the first. Soft goals being scored against us seemed like a trademark last season; let's hope we don't repeat it this one.
The goals are avoidable if the player at left back knows where to be when defending. He is out of position and is drawn into the middle of the park for their first exposing the area in front of Beevers. He then gives up the run chasing down the lad who eventually scores. He's too far off the lad for the 2nd. I thought my pal was joking when he said he was bobbins against Sheffield United. If it's down to fitness then I think a month or two with the U23s as that wasn't acceptable yesterday.
Attachments
2nd.png
2nd.png (765.35 KiB) Viewed 2778 times

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:40 am

Sammy out for 6 weeks according to the BEN.

Gulp. Seem to remember that happening at the very start of last season, and that went well. Think we're better placed to cope than we were but still a huge blow.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:40 am
Sammy out for 6 weeks according to the BEN.

Gulp. Seem to remember that happening at the very start of last season, and that went well. Think we're better placed to cope than we were but still a huge blow.
Yes, if it is the full six weeks, he will be back for the Hull game on the 27th October, which means he will miss seven games.

This will leave us without flair in attack, solid, bordering on decent in midfield, and vulnerable at the back. Hope we grind a couple of draws, and a couple of narrow wins to stay in mid table.

I really don't understand why Beevers is an automatic pick at the back. Just a decent L1 defender, whose lack of any kind of acceleration is a real issue. Wilson deserves a chance to play alongside Wheater to at least see how that works.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 pm

Saw the Sammi report earlier. Pretty sickening. I know it's not just us but every year we seem to have a top player occupying the Quinton Fortune sicknote suite.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:13 pm
Not having a pop at you, but modern football has really come to something when a teams best striker is 'better away than at home.'

Or maybe it's a Bolton thing.

Or a Parky thing.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Without our key creative attacking outlet, we now will have to play more direct to keep opposing defenders from having an easy game. Two up top?