Heading to the Riverside for Pulisball. Middlesbrough (a) 19/9/18 745pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Heading to the Riverside for Pulisball. Middlesbrough (a) 19/9/18 745pm

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 am

Ameobi is injured. Out for 6 weeks.

Ipswich - no win? No problem! Bolton are in town! Your helpful championship colleagues all ready to roll over in your hour of need! I would back serious cash on you breaking your duck this weekend.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Lol. The worrying thing is that, had O'Neil not got sloppy, Boro wouldn't have scored and PP will have convinced himself his plan was working. So, cut out the individual error, and we'll try it again.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 pm

His post match comments are worrying; surely he can’t pick the same line up against the bottom of the league? It would be genuinely embarrassing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:43 pm
His post match comments are worrying; surely he can’t pick the same line up against the bottom of the league? It would be genuinely embarrassing.
My thoughts exactly Dibble. To be satisfied with much about losing 2-0 is strange. Effectively he should be hopping mad at giving a stupid goal away and losing a game we might have won if we'd set about the opposition a bit more. Pretty obvious we were playing for a point against not exactly Barcelona and even that didn't work. I don't take much consolation about us being "nearly" men. When football was pure sport, losing was bad enough; now it's all about money we're playing for our lives in more ways than one.

Two wins would see us right back up there. We need to do that....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Yes they are - he's brain washed into defensive non creative football - which is why it really surprises me that some supporters think he can do absolutely no wrong (IMO he needs to go & see a shrink to try and change his negative, dour mindset - he needs someone to convince him that attacking football isn't a dirty word & allowing players to go out and play is ok)

Perhaps he is the right man for the job whilst we haven't got a pot to piss in and are happy playing shite, boring football as long as we finish 4th and survive year after year - but surely if we are ever to progress, should we ever get investment then we need someone with a different mindset and footballing philosophy to take us forward.

It doesn't matter what players Parkinson has, and whether we bring in better quality players (as we have this season), he only knows one way of playing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:32 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Yes they are - he's brain washed into defensive non creative football - which is why it really surprises me that some supporters think he can do absolutely no wrong (IMO he needs to go & see a shrink to try and change his negative, dour mindset - he needs someone to convince him that attacking football isn't a dirty word & allowing players to go out and play is ok)

Perhaps he is the right man for the job whilst we haven't got a pot to piss in and are happy playing shite, boring football as long as we finish 4th and survive year after year - but surely if we are ever to progress, should we ever get investment then we need someone with a different mindset and footballing philosophy to take us forward.

It doesn't matter what players Parkinson has, and whether we bring in better quality players (as we have this season), he only knows one way of playing.
It’s exactly what Ipswich fans said when they got rid of Big Mick. Now, if they stay in the bottom 3 do you think they will be happy. Because by all accounts they are playing ‘better football’.

Right now our club has to prioritise results. We’ve needed to for a decade or more. Dalliances with ‘project managers’ like Coyle and Lennon who want to play football ended in unmitigated disasters.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm

BWFCI do you agree with Parkinson's post match comments ?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:00 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

It’s exactly what Ipswich fans said when they got rid of Big Mick. Now, if they stay in the bottom 3 do you think they will be happy. Because by all accounts they are playing ‘better football’.

Right now our club has to prioritise results. We’ve needed to for a decade or more. Dalliances with ‘project managers’ like Coyle and Lennon who want to play football ended in unmitigated disasters.
Then PP needs to have a rethink when it comes to his home tactics because it's his tactics that are costing us results.

He's prioritising results but not getting them. And that - on the evidence of games like QPR and Boro - is down to his negativity. So we're left with at least 60 minutes of dire football each game and we're also left with 1 point from 12.

Personally, I'm not asking for dreamy football. I just want to see some positivity and a belief that we can actually attack on the front foot.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:02 pm
We were a silly mistake away from a draw that would have been a great result. Do I agree with how we setup? No. But do I think Parky knows a lot more than any of us? Yes. I trust him to be our manager and the minutae of decisions are less significant with a manager who has delivered 2 seasons in a row and done so against an incredibly tricky backdrop.

If you start from the position that he’s rubbish you will react to every decision or result as you do.

For me he’s a manager far better than we deserve and I would seriously fear for our future should he leave. When he does leave we will all see what happens in the preceding few seasons.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:

How exactly do you know he brain-washed into defensive non-creative football - who is it exactly that brain-washed him? Also how do you know that he has a negative & dour mindset? Unless I'm very much mistaken he got us promoted from league 1 at the first shout - finishing 2nd and scoring 68 goals - not sure how this is possible with such a negative outlook.

Look - I don't think he can do no wrong, not at all. However, I do trust him more than any of us on here. He sees the players day in and day out and he is best placed to judge which team to play and how to set up. He can only work with the tools he's been given. If he was that bad and utilising our players in the wrong way all the time, surely he'd have lost the dressing room by now?

At the end of the day, he has the support of the chairman and seems to have the support of the players. He must know what he's doing and the players are respecting him for trying to do it. Maybe at the end of the day its just some of us fans that have unrealistic expectations?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:
We were a silly mistake away from a draw that would have been a great result. Do I agree with how we setup? No. But do I think Parky knows a lot more than any of us? Yes. I trust him to be our manager and the minutae of decisions are less significant with a manager who has delivered 2 seasons in a row and done so against an incredibly tricky backdrop.

If you start from the position that he’s rubbish you will react to every decision or result as you do.

For me he’s a manager far better than we deserve and I would seriously fear for our future should he leave. When he does leave we will all see what happens in the preceding few seasons.
Plenty of fans are disagreeing with you, he's getting a decent amount of stick on the other forums - if he sets the team up & uses the same (play for a 0-0) negative tactics as last night at Ipswich on Saturday, and we lose there will be a lot of disgruntled fans calling for him to go (more than you think and will admit to)….a lot of fans are now getting pissed off with his negative, defensive, shite football - I know that you think that its just me but its seriously not.

I'm not saying that he deserves the stick that he's getting....but even the most ardent of Parkinson's supporters must agree that he is very negative tactically and the football is absolutely awful to watch in the main (apart from the odd 10-15 mins in the 2nd half of goals once we have gone behind)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm

I think he f*cked up last night but don't think he'll post that against Ipswich. He strikes me as having Allardyce-like targets for certain games. I'd agree with anyone who said we should set up aiming for a draw (as I think we did) but don't think the target for Ipswich will be 1 pt.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:21 pm

I would be very interested to see the immediate and long-term trajectories of clubs in the past who have jettisoned a manager PT would term boring and dour to try and attract a manager who PT wouldn't term as boring and dour.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Yes they are - he's brain washed into defensive non creative football - which is why it really surprises me that some supporters think he can do absolutely no wrong

Will you quit with this kind of thing? There's literally no-one on here who's uncritically pro-Parky.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

Plenty of fans are disagreeing with you, he's getting a decent amount of stick on the other forums - if he sets the team up & uses the same (play for a 0-0) negative tactics as last night at Ipswich on Saturday, and we lose there will be a lot of disgruntled fans calling for him to go (more than you think and will admit to)….a lot of fans are now getting pissed off with his negative, defensive, shite football - I know that you think that its just me but its seriously not.

I'm not saying that he deserves the stick that he's getting....but even the most ardent of Parkinson's supporters must agree that he is very negative tactically and the football is absolutely awful to watch in the main (apart from the odd 10-15 mins in the 2nd half of goals once we have gone behind)
Why would I care what fans think? The fans wanted Coyle. Most of our fans are as thick as pig shit.

I really couldn’t care less. The vocal minority are always unhappy online. But most fans can see what a job Parky has done.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:37 pm
Most of our fans are as thick as pig shit.

:shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:27 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
:shock:
Says more about you than it does about most of our fans mate...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Martin_Cruise
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Martin_Cruise » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 am

It's a myth that Coyle was the popular choice to replace Megson among the fans.There was a poll in the Bolton Evening News at the time with Mark Hughes top of the list.He had just been sacked at Manchester City
Hughes of course would have demanded higher wages and more transfer funds to take the job than Coyle would, so was ruled out when his demands became known
But lets not pretend Coyle was the number one choice of the fans and call them thick when in fact he wasn't the fans choice

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

most fans can see what a job Parky has done.
Hmmm
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:11 am

I wanted Coyle 😀
Thick as pig shit at the time mind!
Easily our worst manager in my lifetime!