Carpe Diem....Versus Derby County at the Unibol, Sat 29th Sept.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Carpe Diem....Versus Derby County at the Unibol, Sat 29th Sept.

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Screenshot_20180929-171710~3.png
Screenshot_20180929-171710~3.png (120.82 KiB) Viewed 3531 times

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:23 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:21 pm
Screenshot_20180929-171710~3.png
Bolton 1 - 0 Derby

All that matters.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Great win - totally unexpected by most, and a very important 3 points.

Credit where its due well done PP & the players.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:28 pm
Great win - totally unexpected by most, and a very important 3 points.

Credit where its due well done PP & the players.
:pray:

WTW
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WTW » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Midfield and defence tremendous today. proud of them. 3 very important and unexpected points. Come on you Whites!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:22 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:38 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:30 pm
We're playing on the front foot and looking good - just like many of us have been asking for :)

With respect, we're playing that way becaue they're allowing us to. It isn't the first time we've done it.
It's the first time we've done it at home this season from kick off lol.

Just shows what we can do with a positive attitude and a (more) positive line-up!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Two shots on target and a possession rate of one in four. Parky out? No, because it matters bog-all if you can keep a clean sheet, which we did today, through good team work - and a special shout to the stand-in keeper.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:22 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Jugs wrote:
We're playing on the front foot and looking good - just like many of us have been asking for :)

With respect, we're playing that way becaue they're allowing us to. It isn't the first time we've done it.

Just shows what we can do with a positive attitude and a (more) positive line-up!
Bull. We won that because our defensive set up was perfect. Every time Derby got it we put numbers behind the ball, but maintained excellent structure.

We looked dangerous on the counter, but that's a million miles from being on the front foot from kick off.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:56 pm

Virtually the perfect performance against Derby today. They had one effort on goal. One. And enjoyed almost all the possession. But our defensive structure was top, top draw. Probably the only way we can win that day.

Whoever said we were ‘on the front foot’ seriously wants to get their eyes checked.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:52 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:22 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Jugs wrote:

Bull. We won that because our defensive set up was perfect. Every time Derby got it we put numbers behind the ball, but maintained excellent structure.

We looked dangerous on the counter, but that's a million miles from being on the front foot from kick off.

Aye, we hardly had a sniff for the first ten minutes and when we did attack it was on the break on pretty much every occasion. We didn't always go long and we did play some good stuff as the match wore on, but it was largely because they threw so many men forward that they left us with plenty of space to play in. Oztumer obviously made a difference but it wasn't as though we had a completely different approach in an attacking sense. We've done what we did today before when we've had the room to do it.

Hobbs and Lowe were immense by the way.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:36 pm

Lmao maybe front foot was the wrong way of putting it but this was definitely a more positive, aggressive performance.

I know some of you like to deny PP is ever negative at home, but slotting Otzumer - who was excellent - in there today was a big difference from the Sheffield United game when our flat midfield had no idea how to get out and move the ball forward - or any belief.

Today we had some ideas, belief, desire, aggression and at times even urgency to get up the pitch when we had the chance. We had to defend a lot but there were avenues out of defence and into attack this time.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:37 pm

We accept there's a lack of quality by comparison to many in this league but as long as we work as hard as that every time, we'll always have a chance.

1 to 11 we were superb. Big shouts out to Matthews whose distribution was an improvement on Bens, Hobbs, McGennis and to my Motm - Jason Lowe. Bloody brilliant
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:59 pm

I was just going to say the same thing.

First match this season so eight players I had not seen before. Hobbs and Lowe were excellent but so were Wheater and Magennis.

We didn't see much of our two full backs as they kept their shape and defensively both were solid.

Williams was a nuisance all game and worked hard alongside the excellent, Lowe. Oztumer is a busy attacking midfielder but also picked the pocket of Bradley Johnson 3 or 4 times so tracks back as well. He did his job well but today's game didn't really help his style of play.

Noone and Buckley linked up brilliantly for the goal but are equally as frustrating as each other. Buckley summed himself up in one minute of the first half when he reacted first to a poor ball across their box and had a one-on-one with their keeper. I have no idea what the hell he was trying to do fannying about but he gave the defender a chance to get a tackle in when he should have shot. The next thing he latches onto a ball down the winger, gets half a yard on the defender and puts across a great ball for Noone to head in from a tight angle. Wingers can be like that but I wanted more from both of them.

Magennis is fantastic as the lone target man. Won every header and held the ball up very, very well. I like him and a important signing for the way we play.

We have that solid spine down the team now with Wheater, Hobbs, Lowe and Magennis that means we should do OK this season. In particular, Hobbs (my man of the match today), is so much better than Beevers. Better in the air, better with the ball, a better tackler and doesn't go to sleep occasionally.

I was expecting up to get beat comfortably today so to get three points is a real bonus.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:54 pm

WTW wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:42 pm
Midfield and defence tremendous today. proud of them. 3 very important and unexpected points. Come on you Whites!
Don’t forget SJM defending from the front. Did he really cost us just £200k??

I fancied us yesterday. When I saw Alnwick was out I changed my mind! Absolute class work rate and defending that. F*ck you Frank Lampards Derby County!!!

Ace win. How much did Waghorn cost and he only get 10 minutes?? Yet we compete on a shoestring. Top drawer again and that image of Noone and Darby after the goal is top drawer.

For Steven and for Eddie that one.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:05 pm

:D :D pfffft I don't know why I was so worried the other day!! Up the Whites

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:36 pm
Lmao maybe front foot was the wrong way of putting it but this was definitely a more positive, aggressive performance.

I know some of you like to deny PP is ever negative at home, but slotting Otzumer - who was excellent - in there today was a big difference from the Sheffield United game when our flat midfield had no idea how to get out and move the ball forward - or any belief.

Today we had some ideas, belief, desire, aggression and at times even urgency to get up the pitch when we had the chance. We had to defend a lot but there were avenues out of defence and into attack this time.
Oztumer played well. He did offer an outlet. But we had 26% possession and had two efforts on target. Today was the same as we’ve played every game at home except for Derby pratted about and we kept our defensive shape superbly. The early goal clearly contributing too. If anything it was our biggest rearguard effort at home yet.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Thought Derby was our bogey team (or one of many)? Great win!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:37 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

First match this season so eight players I had not seen before. Hobbs and Lowe were excellent but so were Wheater and Magennis.

We didn't see much of our two full backs as they kept their shape and defensively both were solid.

Williams was a nuisance all game and worked hard alongside the excellent, Lowe. Oztumer is a busy attacking midfielder but also picked the pocket of Bradley Johnson 3 or 4 times so tracks back as well. He did his job well but today's game didn't really help his style of play.

Noone and Buckley linked up brilliantly for the goal but are equally as frustrating as each other. Buckley summed himself up in one minute of the first half when he reacted first to a poor ball across their box and had a one-on-one with their keeper. I have no idea what the hell he was trying to do fannying about but he gave the defender a chance to get a tackle in when he should have shot. The next thing he latches onto a ball down the winger, gets half a yard on the defender and puts across a great ball for Noone to head in from a tight angle. Wingers can be like that but I wanted more from both of them.

Magennis is fantastic as the lone target man. Won every header and held the ball up very, very well. I like him and a important signing for the way we play.

We have that solid spine down the team now with Wheater, Hobbs, Lowe and Magennis that means we should do OK this season. In particular, Hobbs (my man of the match today), is so much better than Beevers. Better in the air, better with the ball, a better tackler and doesn't go to sleep occasionally.

I was expecting up to get beat comfortably today so to get three points is a real bonus.
FWIW, Hobbs won the BWFC Twitter MOTM vote.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:37 pm
malcd1 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

FWIW, Hobbs won the BWFC Twitter MOTM vote.
Aye, but Lowe was the man of the match. Hobbs very good and added a new dimension to our back line. Reads the game a bit Gudni like.

But Lowe was critical today. He held it together perfectly in midfield. His partner Williams looked far less assured but Lowe kept him going.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:49 pm

I'd have given MotM to Lowe. Top quality defensive-midfield performance - he must run on Duracell batteries.