A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Re: A stroll in the countryside? - Stoke City (A) 02/10/18

Post by enrdentw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Ryan Woods was absolutely quality. A joy to watch.

I personally didn't think it was that bad. We were beaten by a better side. They had better players. I also think that the goal was rightly chalked off for Megennis grappling Williams.

I think Stoke will be top 6.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm

I personally didn't think it was that bad. We were beaten by a better side. They had better players. I also think that the goal was rightly chalked off for Megennis grappling Williams.

Would you like to borrow a hard hat?

Incoming.....

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:55 pm
Nothing to do with tactics or Parky or negativity tonight...simply put every single player has not been at the races. Poor defending from set pieces, so many passes straight out of play or putting us in trouble. Some players have just dissapeared for stretches of the game. Utter garbage. Players 100% at fault. Ref was a tw@t as well for disallowing the goal but if it was given we would only have fecked it up again. As poor a display as I have seen for a long time.
Agree with the first line but seen poorer performances this season, or at least as poor. People got a bit giddy after the Derby game - some even said Grounds should be a shoo-in even when Taylor returns - but we're pure inconsistent this season. Do like the look of Otz and would love to see the disallowed goal again. Also looked like Yanic's volley might have gone in had a Stoke arse not got in the way.

Biggest piss take was the amount of times we fecked up a short, simple pass tonight.

Also, starting to worry about lack of goals, especially since we're shipping a lot of them at the other end.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 pm

enrdentw wrote:

We were definitely beaten by the better team and they were pasting us in the first half. But it's when you make shit mistakes that get punished by teams like Stoke, that really pisses you off.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:27 pm

enrdentw wrote:

Pretty much this.

The first half was a write off creatively speaking, but we still looked alright in our shape. We grew into it in as the match wore on and were fairly competitive for the last twenty. Ultimately though, they had the quality that we didn't, and if we got anything from tonight it would have been a bonus. We move on.

Ps. Oztumer is having a bigger and bigger influence in our play. The more I see of him, the more I like him.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Agreed on the amount of passes we misplaced or went out of play. Shocking. Donaldson’s stats will look exceptionally poor I think he made 4 passes in his 15 minutes and cocked them all up!

Lack of goals; always been our Achilles heel. SJM was off it big time, seemingly when he doesn’t play well we don’t score. There’s not enough goals in Noone and Buckley either, but Wildschut is more of a threat. Oztumer as well potentially. Be nice to get some from one of your centre mids every now and then...Vela would chip in...don’t see it with Lowe and Williams.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:32 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:08 pm
enrdentw wrote:

Would you like to borrow a hard hat?

Incoming.....
Like someone else mentioned, it certainly wasn't our worst performance. There were lots of individual errors but even without them, we have to accept we lost to a better team. There are better teams than us, worse teams than us and some at a similar level. Stoke fall into the former, despite their league position. From time to time we will nick points of those kind of teams but tonight it didn't happen. Onwards and upwards...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Jugs wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 pm
Also, starting to worry about lack of goals, especially since we're shipping a lot of them at the other end.

I wouldn't say that I'm relaxed about it but in this barren spell we've played three teams who I expect to finish in the top six, and two-thirds of an away match with ten men. Not to mention that we've also been without Ameobi. It's only if it continues for the rest of this month that I'll start panicking.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 pm

We didn’t play great tonight. Still Magennis missed an early very decent chance and then had a goal chalked off that often would be given.

On a different night exact same performance and we are all giddy with a 2-1 win.

Levels were always dropping after Saturday. Let’s just hope we can repeat the effort more consistently than every few weeks. I think we could have made a few more changes and freshened it up a bit more tonight.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:27 am

Sometimes in this league we will just be beaten by better teams. Stoke's team tonight cost around £80m, ours £1m.

We gave it a good go in the 2nd half. £!2m Tom Ince destroyed Grounds all game. Ozzy at times looked like a L1 player making a step up to pretty much lower Premiership standard. He will imrpove and learn. Thought Williams was poor 1st half but improved a lot 2nd half.

Thought our disallowed goal was very harsh. Magennis was just too powerful for Williams. I couldn't see any foul there.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am

Williams was anonymous bar a 10 minutes spell. Don’t get the hype with him. Prefer O’Neill (or developing Vela).

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 pm
Jugs wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 pm

I wouldn't say that I'm relaxed about it but in this barren spell we've played three teams who I expect to finish in the top six, and two-thirds of an away match with ten men. Not to mention that we've also been without Ameobi. It's only if it continues for the rest of this month that I'll start panicking.
Not saying I'm panicking - just a tad concerned. We've scored 1 in 4 games and every man and his dog put at least 2 past Stoke recently. Wigan and Blackburn put 3 past them while we barely had a sniff. Sounds like PP is convinced Magennis' goal should have stood so it probably should have been 2 goals in 4 but we're definitely lacking firepower. Looks like Otz might have a few goals in him while Yanic has a goal threat but as Dibble pointed out, others need to contribute more.

And yeah, being without Ameobi is actually the biggest concern. Any idea when he's back?

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am

Seems like Parkinson disagrees with most in regards to the awful passing last night and thinks that we passed it well....

"I think we acquitted ourselves very well in the second half. We passed the ball well and got into some threatening positions, and really I do think the referee has cost us tonight"

And for what its worth, I've watched the Magennis disallowed goal several times, and I think it was the correct decision - you can't grapple like that, continually pushing the defender back with his arms and expect to get away with it, I'm not saying it was one sided but most refs would have disallowed that goal IMO

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am

Ameobi our until November and I’m betting it’s not early November. I expect we will see Dyer soon. I wonder if it will be at left back?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 am

Just seen the goal. Load of bollocks. Six of one. Appreciate it's hard hard for refs when you don't see how those sort of tussles start but it's as much a penalty as it is a foul the other way and the usual scientific response is to say you're both at it so neither of you are getting owt.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:39 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 am
Just seen the goal. Load of bollocks. Six of one. Appreciate it's hard hard for refs when you don't see how those sort of tussles start but it's as much a penalty as it is a foul the other way and the usual scientific response is to say you're both at it so neither of you are getting owt.
This. Both were holding each other. I suspect he gave it for Yanic being on top of the keeper though.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:05 am

I'm sure he gave it for a perceived foul on the keeper rather than Magennis and their centre half tussling. When we don't create many chances, we need the rub of the green on decisions like that.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:09 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am
Seems like Parkinson disagrees with most in regards to the awful passing last night and thinks that we passed it well....

"I think we acquitted ourselves very well in the second half. We passed the ball well and got into some threatening positions, and really I do think the referee has cost us tonight"

At least PT, Parky says they only acquitted themselves well in the second half, as they were not even at the races in the first half, they were so so poor

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:17 am

We were better in the second half but there was still some sloppiness. It was the simple short passes that they couldn't get right. How many times did they misjudge the weight of the ball? And Donaldson was just lol

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 am

I'm not realy sure Ozzy is the answer to our attacking midfield woes when we have a total, pure clogger up top. You could swap in David Silva for him and we'd barely do any better...

Square pegs in round holes going forward because the front man isn't much of a threat when running the channels, or, when that option isn't there, isn't technically good enough to receive the ball to feet and do something with it. And it all could have been so different had Magennis gobbled up that chance in the opening 5 minutes.

Donaldson looked like someone I played sunday league with a few years ago. Shocking. And Wildshut flatters to deceive. Sammy Ammy can't come back soon enough from an attacking point of view.

A pretty bad night all round.