Out of the Forest and up to Le Moors.. Notts Forest Home, Wed, 24th Oct 8-0 .

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Out of the Forest and up to Le Moors.. Notts Forest Home, Wed, 24th Oct 8-0 .

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:30 pm

Well, that was Derek Dogshit.

I can't add much that hasn't already been said. I doubt that there are three sides in the third division worse than that, let alone this division.
Normally I find myself wondering where our next win might come from. Currently I wonder where our next goal might come from, and the only answer to that that I can muster is - from a defensive mistake.

I've never seen a slower side.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Out of the Forest and up to Le Moors.. Notts Forest Home, Wed, 24th Oct 8-0 .

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:06 am

Who the feck in their right mind would keep paying to watch this?

Home fans at the UniBol are seeing an average of 2.5 shots on target per game and a league-low 0.7 goals.

We've scored 11 goals all season. We've scored two goals in a game three times, but only once since mid-August. We've never scored three or more.

You just can't make an arguement for us as something anyone would enjoy. And they charge £30 a week for it.

But it's rock and a hard place. Pick up points here and there with Parky and probably stay up, but with fans losing interest by the game. Sack Parky, try and play better football, realise we can't, get relegated and appoint Mick McCarthy.

Miserable.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:03 am

How many are they claiming were on last night, by the way? I honest can't see it realistically having been more than 10,000, and 1,000 of those were from Forest.

Kenny can come up with all the incentives he likes, but we're now reaching the point at which I, for one, will end up deciding that I simply couldn't be arsed turning up to games for which I've already paid to see, and 4uck it!
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 am

Paying £30 to watch 11 so called footballers contrive to pass the ball out of play / to the opposition / lose control at throw ins is not good value for money!

I’ve seen a lot about how doidge should have started last night. Personally I am glad he didn’t - the lad needs bringing on and decent service to get goals; running around aimlessly trying to guess where the ball from Vela/Noone/Wildshchutt might land is a waste of energy! He’s probably thinking he was better off where he was.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 am

Horrendous. I honestly think that is the worst we've played not just this season but for a long while. Sure we've had batterings and been inept but Forest are no world beaters yet we made them look unplayable. They've spent money and have decent players yes...but we started the game, not just badly, but appallingly. The first 20 minutes we got nowhere near them. Noone was appalling. And by appalling I think he may have put in the most lazy, abject, inept, performance I've ever seen. He's done nowt since signing here.

Wildschutt? What the feck is up with him? I say this with no hyperbole but you could pick out a random bloke from the crowd who'd look no worse. Absolute embarrassment. I think he needs to see a sports psychologist quickly, because his head cannot be in the right place.

Then we get to Little. Oh good god, that lad is a terrible defender. So bad that he makes Grounds look passable. Hobbs and Wheater were both stuffed against movement from midfield. Lowe and Williams chased shadows.

I think criticism of Magennis is harsh. What could he do? He worked hard. But what is clear is that he's no Madine like target to play off. He needs balls in the channels to chase using his pace and strength. He never gets them.

Second half - we put 2 up front and for 5 minutes it looked promising. Then reality kicked in and our 4 man midfield was overrun and completely destroyed time and time and time again on the break. A decent side second half could have had 5. We were that open in that system.

For some reason (perhaps all the style talk) Parky is overcomplicating things. We need to go back to being the solid, efficient side who is good at set plays and gets the ball forward quickly and plays from there. Right now we're half trying to sit back, half trying to play pointless sideways football and half trying to attack teams in numbers. None of it is committed.

I like Parky - he's done a wonderful job here. I'd not sack him, but I'd also tell him "feck off trying to play - get some results". And if the Hull game is anything like last night even I would seriously be considering Big Mick to come and get us organised and disciplined and re-find a shape. We are a workmanlike side. So fecking play like it. Stop trying to appease fans with "football" because it isn't working - we create nothing and concede loads.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 am

Official crowd was 13195.

Very depressing performance that. I don't think Vela can play the attacking midfield role anymore. We have morphed into a team that wants to pass it around slightly more, and so we need a more technical player in that role now. Just chasing after it doesn't work, particularly against a decent technical team. The issue is that Ozzy seems scared to get into the positions he needs to get into. There is no point him just passing around the defence and deep midfield areas. He is there to play incisive passes and score goals. I hope Ireland gets fit soon. There is a spot there waiting for him.

Noone was really bad. I have resigned myself to accepting that Wildschut is fundamentally a Sunday league player with incredible pace and possibly a decent finisher. In the odd game he will look good, but most of the time atrocious. I would consider Dyer and Donaldson in the wide positions for Hull. Ameobi and Buckley are really needed back urgently.

Olkowski is so much better than Little, particularly defensively. I guess we might be stuck with Little for Hull. He might improve now he has had a game, on the other hand he might be knackered and not able to play two games in less than three days. Not sure what we do then. Lowe to RB?

Hull might struggle with two long away trips in less than three days. I hope so,coz on paper they have way better players than us. Grosicki, Bowen and Christie looks a level above our front three, whomever we select from our available players.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 am
Horrendous. I honestly think that is the worst we've played not just this season but for a long while. Sure we've had batterings and been inept but Forest are no world beaters yet we made them look unplayable. They've spent money and have decent players yes...but we started the game, not just badly, but appallingly. The first 20 minutes we got nowhere near them. Noone was appalling. And by appalling I think he may have put in the most lazy, abject, inept, performance I've ever seen. He's done nowt since signing here.

Wildschutt? What the feck is up with him? I say this with no hyperbole but you could pick out a random bloke from the crowd who'd look no worse. Absolute embarrassment. I think he needs to see a sports psychologist quickly, because his head cannot be in the right place.

Then we get to Little. Oh good god, that lad is a terrible defender. So bad that he makes Grounds look passable. Hobbs and Wheater were both stuffed against movement from midfield. Lowe and Williams chased shadows.

I think criticism of Magennis is harsh. What could he do? He worked hard. But what is clear is that he's no Madine like target to play off. He needs balls in the channels to chase using his pace and strength. He never gets them.

Second half - we put 2 up front and for 5 minutes it looked promising. Then reality kicked in and our 4 man midfield was overrun and completely destroyed time and time and time again on the break. A decent side second half could have had 5. We were that open in that system.

For some reason (perhaps all the style talk) Parky is overcomplicating things. We need to go back to being the solid, efficient side who is good at set plays and gets the ball forward quickly and plays from there. Right now we're half trying to sit back, half trying to play pointless sideways football and half trying to attack teams in numbers. None of it is committed.

I like Parky - he's done a wonderful job here. I'd not sack him, but I'd also tell him "feck off trying to play - get some results". And if the Hull game is anything like last night even I would seriously be considering Big Mick to come and get us organised and disciplined and re-find a shape. We are a workmanlike side. So fecking play like it. Stop trying to appease fans with "football" because it isn't working - we create nothing and concede loads.

Wait... this is us trying to play good football?!?!? :shock:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:11 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:31 am
Official crowd was 13195.

Very depressing performance that. I don't think Vela can play the attacking midfield role anymore. We have morphed into a team that wants to pass it around slightly more, and so we need a more technical player in that role now. Just chasing after it doesn't work, particularly against a decent technical team. The issue is that Ozzy seems scared to get into the positions he needs to get into. There is no point him just passing around the defence and deep midfield areas. He is there to play incisive passes and score goals. I hope Ireland gets fit soon. There is a spot there waiting for him.

Noone was really bad. I have resigned myself to accepting that Wildschut is fundamentally a Sunday league player with incredible pace and possibly a decent finisher. In the odd game he will look good, but most of the time atrocious. I would consider Dyer and Donaldson in the wide positions for Hull. Ameobi and Buckley are really needed back urgently.

Olkowski is so much better than Little, particularly defensively. I guess we might be stuck with Little for Hull. He might improve now he has had a game, on the other hand he might be knackered and not able to play two games in less than three days. Not sure what we do then. Lowe to RB?

Hull might struggle with two long away trips in less than three days. I hope so,coz on paper they have way better players than us. Grosicki, Bowen and Christie looks a level above our front three, whomever we select from our available players.
We need to abandon attempts to play football and keep it simple. Load the box up and get it in. Play Donaldson wide right and hit him and Magennis down the channels to get into their half. Play from there.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 am

We're basically just not very good. A lot of the players who have been brought in don't look capable.

The scouts must have known that Yanic has these weaknesses. Signing him was mental. He does a nice little dribble and then turns into Harpo Marx.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:52 am

Tombwfc wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 am

Wait... this is us trying to play good football?!?!? :shock:
I think its trying to pass the ball. Which when you aren't really designed to play that way makes you look shite.

I personally think its very very confused stuff. Start of the season our plan was clear and we stayed in games, were tough to break down and worked hard on set pieces and the occassional break. That won't always work but it gives you a chance. Now I think we're half trying to do that, half trying to play...its very very confused. The team at the start had an identity. It wasn't pretty but we were physical and robust.

Last night we had no identity apart from pure shite.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:07 pm
I've just had a word with Blackadder and he's come up with a cunning plan. He say, "Stop giving them a one goal start every game (deny it if you can) and play like you are the better team in stead of looking like a bunch of slaves in a Roman arena."....I said I'd pass it on to Parky if I could.
While you're on your bike, pass it on to Mourinho
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 pm
Since we seem incapable of actually playing football is there any chance we can practice our set pieces to at least give ourselves a fighting chance? Corners, free kicks and crosses were all woeful. Again
What, you weren't impressed by that one after 47 minutes when six of us ran in from 40 yards out and somehow all missed the ball? :oops:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:12 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:01 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:07 pm
I've just had a word with Blackadder and he's come up with a cunning plan. He say, "Stop giving them a one goal start every game (deny it if you can) and play like you are the better team in stead of looking like a bunch of slaves in a Roman arena."....I said I'd pass it on to Parky if I could.
While you're on your bike, pass it on to Mourinho
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 pm
Since we seem incapable of actually playing football is there any chance we can practice our set pieces to at least give ourselves a fighting chance? Corners, free kicks and crosses were all woeful. Again
What, you weren't impressed by that one after 47 minutes when six of us ran in from 40 yards out and somehow all missed the ball? :oops:
That was a joke. I mean I get some variety is important but the ball arrived before anyone was in position. And the ball was poor.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:14 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
I guess we might be stuck with Little for Hull. He might improve now he has had a game, on the other hand he might be knackered and not able to play two games in less than three days. Not sure what we do then. Lowe to RB?
Well, we've now reached the point where any changes to the XI are see as bingo-machine tinkering, sometimes from the same people who said we needed a bigger squad. It's understandable when we're losing. Never a good sign.
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
I don't think Vela can play the attacking midfield role anymore. We have morphed into a team that wants to pass it around slightly more, and so we need a more technical player in that role now. Just chasing after it doesn't work, particularly against a decent technical team. The issue is that Ozzy seems scared to get into the positions he needs to get into. There is no point him just passing around the defence and deep midfield areas. He is there to play incisive passes and score goals. I hope Ireland gets fit soon. There is a spot there waiting for him.
I agree - sadly on Vela, more puzzedly on Oz. Unless Ireland gets fit and grabs the role, Oz is as close to a proper No.10 as we're going to get, but he keeps dropping deep to get the ball in places where he's much less likely to influence the game. I'd much rather see him between 40 and 20 yards out picking passes and taking potshots.

We looked better with two targets, even if Clayton was wide. With our wingers either injured, underachieving or inconsistent I wonder about a 3-5-2 with Oz tucked behind Maggie and Clayton. It's possible Oz might be able to play better alley-balls of the kind BWFCi suggests Magennis might prosper from. A back three with Wilson and Hobbs flanking Wheater would be much more savvy than the Beevers/Wheater/Dervite model, and I'd also like to think it suits Dyer and Olko. Something needs to change.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:14 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
I guess we might be stuck with Little for Hull. He might improve now he has had a game, on the other hand he might be knackered and not able to play two games in less than three days. Not sure what we do then. Lowe to RB?
Well, we've now reached the point where any changes to the XI are see as bingo-machine tinkering, sometimes from the same people who said we needed a bigger squad. It's understandable when we're losing. Never a good sign.
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
I don't think Vela can play the attacking midfield role anymore. We have morphed into a team that wants to pass it around slightly more, and so we need a more technical player in that role now. Just chasing after it doesn't work, particularly against a decent technical team. The issue is that Ozzy seems scared to get into the positions he needs to get into. There is no point him just passing around the defence and deep midfield areas. He is there to play incisive passes and score goals. I hope Ireland gets fit soon. There is a spot there waiting for him.
I agree - sadly on Vela, more puzzedly on Oz. Unless Ireland gets fit and grabs the role, Oz is as close to a proper No.10 as we're going to get, but he keeps dropping deep to get the ball in places where he's much less likely to influence the game. I'd much rather see him between 40 and 20 yards out picking passes and taking potshots.

We looked better with two targets, even if Clayton was wide. With our wingers either injured, underachieving or inconsistent I wonder about a 3-5-2 with Oz tucked behind Maggie and Clayton. It's possible Oz might be able to play better alley-balls of the kind BWFCi suggests Magennis might prosper from. A back three with Wilson and Hobbs flanking Wheater would be much more savvy than the Beevers/Wheater/Dervite model, and I'd also like to think it suits Dyer and Olko. Something needs to change.
I don't see a 3-5-2 working. We need to get the ball into the box more and with the best will in the world I think that system is one that works best in possession - not when you need to be more agricultural.

What about.....

Alnwick
Olkowski Wheater Hobbs Taylor
Williams Lowe
Vela
Donaldson Oztumer
Magennis

Donaldson on the right as a second target. Oztumer given licence to roam from the left (ala Ameobi) but especially to get close to big Josh.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 am

At the same time, we've been here before and turned it around. When we got pasted 3-0 by Brentford at the end of September last season at home, it looked like curtains and fans were commenting on how this is 'the worst team I've ever seen.' Then we brought Henry in, Ameobi returned and we put a good run together.

So it can still be turned around, and we're definitely missing Ameobi. Feck knows if Ireland will ever appear but he could be a useful addition, too.

All isn't yet lost but it's hard to hide from those damning statistics of 2 goals in 7 games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 am

Jugs wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 am
At the same time, we've been here before and turned it around. When we got pasted 3-0 by Brentford at the end of September last season at home, it looked like curtains and fans were commenting on how this is 'the worst team I've ever seen.' Then we brought Henry in, Ameobi returned and we put a good run together.

So it can still be turned around, and we're definitely missing Ameobi. Feck knows if Ireland will ever appear but he could be a useful addition, too.

All isn't yet lost but it's hard to hide from those damning statistics of 2 goals in 7 games.
Yep we've turned it round before. For me the disappointing thing is after a good start all we needed was to not have a massive slump. Picking up results every now and again was enough. Yet we've had a massive slump inspite of a stronger all round squad.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am
I don't see a 3-5-2 working. We need to get the ball into the box more and with the best will in the world I think that system is one that works best in possession - not when you need to be more agricultural.

What about.....

Alnwick
Williams Lowe
Vela
Donaldson Oztumer
Magennis

Donaldson on the right as a second target. Oztumer given licence to roam from the left (ala Ameobi) but especially to get close to big Josh.
Well, I'd give it a go but I can also see your 4-3-3, an option which Parky namechecked (numberchecked?) this week. However, in that XI I'd have Clayton left and Oz right as inverted support acts.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:40 am

Also the first time I've had to suffer Tower/iFollow commentary. A particular low point was "Who's Barry Cowgill?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:42 am

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:21 am

What about.....

Alnwick
Williams Lowe
Vela
Donaldson Oztumer
Magennis

Well, I'd give it a go but I can also see your 4-3-3, an option which Parky namechecked (numberchecked?) this week. However, in that XI I'd have Clayton left and Oz right as inverted support acts.
Yep, maybe. I think Pawel likes some protection though to cover his runs forward and won't get any from Oz which is why I had them that way round.

Fundamentally whatever system you pick you cannot allow our team to give the opposition time and space in OUR half as we did for 20 minutes last night. I don't mind us being watchful. But get in their faces. We are at home and should make it uncomfortable for teams. Instead we roll out the red carpet. I want us to be in teams faces from the start to the end. If that is more combative than ball retaining then fine. But do something. Don't just stand and let them play.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:40 am
Also the first time I've had to suffer Tower/iFollow commentary. A particular low point was "Who's Barry Cowgill?"
Even I have heard of the druy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.