A life of Pie.....Home to Wigan 1-12-18.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: A life of Pie.....Home to Wigan 1-12-18.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Just seen their penalty again. I stand by my original opinion. Terrible decision. Hobbs played the ball, it bounced off Grigg who then went down.

That said, we ain't creating anything. Poor Doige had the Alf role of running around a lot and working hard but nobody with the ability to play him in. Noones best game in a long while. Olkowski nowhere near the levels he was at earlier in the season
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:34 pm

So did we do anything to indicate there's potential in the side? We really are a defensive minded team and that just won't cut any mustard unless we manage to improve what we have. We've no chance of buying any players, but we really do need to stop just relying on the likes of Sammi, Buckley, Noone, Wildschutt etc, making runs from Horwich Parkway or Chorley New Road to get up and support the front men. There's absolutely nothing new in that, it's been the same since Super Kev played Lone Ranger up front. We know the problem, but where's the solution? Answers on a on a parcel enclosing videos of John Maginley's games for Bolton, to "University of Bolton Stadium, attention the coaching staff!".

We had what's laughingly called "set pieces" chances enough, even today, but the threat of Weaver and Beever and the fifteen goals two defenders scored from them in a season seems to have left on the wind.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:43 pm

^ we're fairly sound defensively and the players are working hard but our approach play and attacking just isn't clicking. I'm not sure it ever will tbh with either these players or this manager.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:35 pm

TKIZ! wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:58 pm
I'm behind the goal. Hobbs didn't go through the man to get the ball. He got the ball, this ref has been spoiling to give them something. Tide turns on the pen. Up to that point we'd done enough for me.
I'm side on to it and it was the best timed tackle I've seen in a long time. My question is though - did Hobbs really need to make it? I'm not sure he did. Not a single Wigan player claimed for it either as far as I remember. Shame on the lino in front of me (who was every bit as jaw-droppingly atrocious as the ref this afternoon) for not having a word with the ref about what he'd quite clearly just seen. An absolute shithouse.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:35 pm
TKIZ! wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:58 pm
I'm behind the goal. Hobbs didn't go through the man to get the ball. He got the ball, this ref has been spoiling to give them something. Tide turns on the pen. Up to that point we'd done enough for me.
I'm side on to it and it was the best timed tackle I've seen in a long time. My question is though - did Hobbs really need to make it? I'm not sure he did. Not a single Wigan player claimed for it either as far as I remember. Shame on the lino in front of me (who was every bit as jaw-droppingly atrocious as the ref this afternoon) for not having a word with the ref about what he'd quite clearly just seen. An absolute shithouse.
Agree with all that, BR. My answer to your Hobbs question would be I think just wanted to make sure that he didn't get the shot in from whatever angle. The Linesman on that side was in perfect view and did nothing and up to that point we were on top. However the fragility of our confidence that meant that we reverted to sitting back. I'd like to see what Ireland adds to the mix (if Parky ever decides to put him in the team). I'd ship Wildschutt back and ask instead for Oliviera who could probably do a job up top
Pfffft.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:14 pm

Purely going off the Tower commentary, both the mic men (who are not totally Bolton biased but reasonably impartial) claimed their penalty was wrong and Hobbs got the ball. They gave the ref a fair bit of stick right through for bad calls and also maintained we should have had a penalty. It's refereeing errors like this that put clubs in jeopardy and cost them dearly.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:24 pm

Terrible, disgusting, c*nt of a referee. Gave them a penalty which wasn't. Didn't give us one for a clear handball, claiming ball to hand. He had both arms stretched above his fecking head! All game he favoured them. I'm convinced he got off on that, it's some fecked up character flaw, he'll be wanking him self silly now while his wife calls him names and takes a shit in his mouth.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 am

There's nothing new to report. We started with two up front which they probably weren't expecting, and had the best of things early doors despite Joe Williams' typically scouse combativeness nearly getting him sent off. Buckley took his goal really well, we used the two up top to press high, and we generally appeared quite threatening. All good. Perhaps inevitably though, they then realised that we would struggle to go through them in the middle if they put us under even the most minimal pressure, and that neither Ameobi nor Doidge had many prospects of winning an aerial duel, and adjusted accordingly. All of a sudden, we had no way to get up the other end and stay up the other end, and as a consequence spent the majority of the rest of proceedings before the interval in our own half. But we should have scored a second goal when, on the break, Buckley went down the left wing and Doidge was free and perfectly positioned on the penalty spot, only for Buckley to overhit the cross in. It's in that sense that our lack of quality is really hurting us.

On to the “penalty”. I've watched it and re-watched it, and as Bruce Rioja says, Hobbs could probably have shepherded Grigg away rather than dive in, but never in the memory of man was it a foul. Even if there was some contact with Griggs' ankle first, and that's highly doubtful, the officials were surely in no position to see it, which begs the question - why did the referee blow his whistle?

The second half began in much the same vein, with us struggling to move the play over the halfway line and them having the lion's share of possession without really doing a great deal with it. From memory, neither of us had what could be described as proper chances, apart from when Windass snatched at a shot that Alnwick likely had covered, but if one team looked like they had a goal in them it was them. We brought Magennis on after about an hour which helped alleviate slightly the problems we were having getting up the pitch, and we might well have had a penalty ourselves late on for handball but the referee gestured as though he had adjudged it to be face protection. I suppose it's fair enough that a player would instinctively put his hands in front of his face to stop him from getting hit and that it would be harsh to give a penalty for it, but the defender had both of his arms outstretched and upward which made a mockery of the decision and pretty much confirmed that the referee was guessing.

On another day, and with another referee, we would probably have won, though it was largely the same old story. We put in lots of effort, and had plenty of character, but we are so short of genuine talent in the final third (excepting Ameobi on a good day) that we're crippled by it. We aren't actually a million miles away from being able to put together a half decent team. Certainly, the back five and midfield two are solid enough to compete at this level, however our Achilles' heel is further forward. We are absolutely desperate for a player who can beat a man and drive us onward or a player with a bit of composure in and around the opposition's penalty area. Stephen Ireland, come and save us.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:24 pm
he'll be wanking him self silly now while his wife calls him names and takes a shit in his mouth.
Don't ya just love a cuckold.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:07 am

It’s a real shame we are all talking about that prick of a ref nd those decisions. I’ve just checked the fixtures and our next three are Norwich, Leeds and Brentford. Can’t help but feel this week presented our best chance of shaking this horrible run, 2 points should have been 7.

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:11 am

Perfect illustration of why it should have been given on Iles twitter feed. He even makes a joke about it
Pfffft.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 am

The ref was a prick.

And we really, really need Ireland to come along and save us.

Norwich away next :( Grim.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 am
The ref was a prick.

And we really, really need Ireland to come along and save us.

Norwich away next :( Grim.
Grim indeed.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください