The cheer us up memory lane thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

The cheer us up memory lane thread

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 pm

As the club is in a dire situation and the football isn't any better. As a cheer up I ask, what are your 3 favourite memories supporting Bolton?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The cheer us up memory lane thread

Post by Jugs » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:33 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 pm
As the club is in a dire situation and the football isn't any better. As a cheer up I ask, what are your 3 favourite memories supporting Bolton?
Wolves playoff semi-final May 1995, second leg at Burnden

Bobic hat trick in the blazing sunshine v Ipswich in the game that pretty much confirmed we were staying up that year

2-2 comeback v Blackpool November 2010 when Mark Davies equalised and sent us into raptures in the 'crazy section' of the stadium

TBF they might not be my all-time favs, but they're the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Last day v Forest last year was also unreal

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm

I remember the Bobic hat trick, Remember turning to my pal and saying "That's that then" at half time! One of those properly good feelings. Every time we attacked we could have scored.

I personally loved the away day at FC Guimaraes. From the start of the trip to the last minute equaliser from Vaz Te sending the fans mental.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:49 pm

3. Southend (a) two years ago. My fav season supporting us since I was a teenager. Wheavers masterclass and a 91st minute winner that meant it felt like we were there (though we did our best to throw it away). Port Vale would've taken this spot had Fleetwood not ruined the party.

2. *Just* Atletico Madrid at home. The loudest I've ever heard the Reebok. To beat a true European giant in a competitive, knock-out game was out of this world. My biggest regret is being exactly the wrong age to make any of the away days. Friends a couple of years older had real jobs, friends a couple of years younger went with their parents.

1. Birmingham (a) FA Cup QF. The perfect away day. Great pubs, great company, perfect locals (friendly for all except 90 mins, a couple of pissed scallies each aside) incredible game of two teams going at it and, when SKD nodded it back across to Chungy, bedlam like I've never experienced before. Pure, unbridled joy. The best of football.

For me, anyway.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:50 pm

One was a five mile walk home in the rain having missed the last train out of Charing Cross; thanks in no small part to 3 folk from here detaining me in some bar in Shepherds Bush. I was lucky the nice bus driver let me on his 'Oyster Card only' charabanc without a ticket, as I live 27 miles from said railway station. No doubt we'd lost.

The other two involve women of a certain age acquainted in Barristers Bar in the wee small hours. No idea who we'd lost to.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 pm

Can't speak to #2, but on #1 pretty sure we lost (though we didn't see the goal) to a 25 yard Karl Henry screamer. Imagine.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:52 pm
Can't speak to #2, but on #1 pretty sure we lost (though we didn't see the goal) to a 25 yard Karl Henry screamer. Imagine.
Ah, yes, that rings a bell. Was it my fault?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:46 pm

1. Can't remember who we were playing or the result (it was about 2012 or so)... but I remember being stunned and highly entertained by an entirely nonchalant Mr Klasnic being stood with his back to the goal about thirty yards out and just turning on an incoming bouncer and lofting it into the top corner of the net.
2. My grandfather (because his grandfather did) was determined to 'make' me into a Wanderer. I can't remember anything of any of the early games he took me to. But I became hooked on football during the summer of 66. And the first match my grandad took me to that autumn was at Burden, just before my 11th birthday. I soaked up the atmosphere like a sponge and the back and forth chants between the two sets of fans was magical (we were playing Wolves). The only reason it's number two is because it was goalless... I vividly remember the disappointment of not being able to celebrate a goal.
3. Again, can't remember the exact year (but approx 1980) and watching Liverpool play in the World Cup in Japan. There weren't many 'away' fans (if you see what I mean), even less actual Scousers, and so I was the only one in the entire stadium waving a Bolton scarf. I was caught on camera by NHK and remember watching the replay on TV that night and all our Japanese friends going crazy in the bar when a close up of me holding the scarf above my head was the close-out image before the adverts at half time ... (It was made more memorable because my wife was in the next advert for Otafuku-no sauce - which was the reason we were watching the TV in the first place :D )
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm

(^ might be a false memory, but I think the Ivan goal might have been against Liverpool).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 pm

From an ancient point of view, one just has to be seeing Nat lift the F.A.Cup aloft on Bolton Town Hall steps. I was 19 and that was truly magical. The Cup shone out like a beacon and the roar could have been heard in Lou Macari's chip shop (well, he didn't have it then, but you know what I mean, Old Trafford) :D

Beating Liverpool in that McGinley game and beating Reading just have to be in there. Add watching Worthy's wonder goal and the Bayern Munich draw (only on T.V but Ricky Gardener scoring from the right wing ! then the Super Kev equaliser...) and the U.E.F.A Cup seasons. Magical all. There are so many...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm

Battering Spurs 1-0 at WHL. Think we hit the woodwork 15 times that day

Reading Play off final at Wembley

Drawing with Bayern Munich in the UEFA cup.

Magic, Magic Days.

As an aside I was talking to my daughter about Nathan Blake the other day. He was on telly talking about an FA cup match. Wasn't really listening. In the late 90's we played Wimbledon at Selhurst Park. It was a boring windy horrible 0-0 draw. Nathan Blake was called offside 15 times by the linesman, much to our disgust. When I got back that night MOTD did an analysis of Blake and the offsides. Turns out he was onside 13 out of the 15 decisions. THAT's how fast Nathan Blake was.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm
Battering Spurs 1-0 at WHL. Think we hit the woodwork 15 times that day

Reading Play off final at Wembley

Drawing with Bayern Munich in the UEFA cup.

Magic, Magic Days.

As an aside I was talking to my daughter about Nathan Blake the other day. He was on telly talking about an FA cup match. Wasn't really listening. In the late 90's we played Wimbledon at Selhurst Park. It was a boring windy horrible 0-0 draw. Nathan Blake was called offside 15 times by the linesman, much to our disgust. When I got back that night MOTD did an analysis of Blake and the offsides. Turns out he was onside 13 out of the 15 decisions. THAT's how fast Nathan Blake was.
Wow I can't believe someone else has Tottenham 0-1 Bolton in November 2003 has their favourite memory! That was just a magical game, it is not normally mentioned in our famous games. We went into it really struggling with a record (I think) of W1 D6 L4, following the miraclous 2002/03 escape. Tottenham were their usual (of that time) underachieving, overpriced, arrogant selves still clinging to their glory period of the early 70s. We absolutely murdered them, Okocha ran the game, he hit the bar from distance three times, then after approx 67mins, just when it looked they might come into it, Okocha hit another pile driver that hit the keeper before he could move, and Nolan tucked home the winner. Delirium!! I was there with my then gf and her Tottenham supporting friend and my mate. Even she came out of the game talking about Okocha. We went onto beat Everton and Leeds directly after and ended up 8th. Average crowd that season was almost 27000! We beat them the next season as well, another wonderful day out, another Okocha pile driver set up Stelios for the winner.

Other favourite memories include our first foray into Europe against Plovdiv. Great trip on the supporters plane. Wonderful scenes at the small Bulgarian (Burgas?) airport with thousands of whites fans singing songs. Great stop at Nessebar where everyone enjoyed a pint or two. Great times.

Tons of great games in the Prem era, my favourite period, but I particularly remember another rarely mentioned 1-0 home win against Norwich. We played well, won 1-0 but I particularly remember thinking I was watching the footballing equivalent of the Haarlem Globetrotters. We had top, legendary players all over the pitch. Candela played (he hit the bar from 25 yards), Speed, Okocha, Stelios, N'Gotty, Diouf, SKD wonderful players all over the pitch. Stelios scored a top class goal from 25 yards to win it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm
(^ might be a false memory, but I think the Ivan goal might have been against Liverpool).
Afraid not mate - his only goal against Liverpool (per Transfermarkt) was more of a standard sweep home from 12 yards (it's at about 24s):

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:33 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm
Afraid not mate - his only goal against Liverpool was more of a standard sweep home from 12 yards
Cheers. Yep, it's definitely not that one welded into my memory... :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm

3) Beating Wigan in the Freight Rover area final at Burnden. After years of a downward spiral to finally celebrate something (a trip to Wembley!) was amazing. The you tube footage of Caldwell's winner in the last minute at their place in the 1st leg still gives me goosebumps. Absolute scenes.

2) Liverpool at Anfield. Everything for the next 20 years was built on that win. What a team that was.

1) Reading. We rarely do it the easy way. What a performance and comeback and with so much riding on it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 pm
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdEURwRMEpE

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLLDva_VrJ4
Oh for an Ivan Campo today.....

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:56 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:44 pm
This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdEURwRMEpE

And this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLLDva_VrJ4
Oh for an Ivan Campo today.....
Proper smiled at the Campo goals.

Didn't realise how many headers he scored.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 am

Wow!
That's a wonderful compilation, TANGO. Thanks for the link. :D

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 pm

It's not in my top 3 but this was a really good game that I went to with mates from school when I was 16. Kevin Poole was between the sticks...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 247008.stm

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:47 pm

enrdentw wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:29 pm
It's not in my top 3 but this was a really good game that I went to with mates from school when I was 16. Kevin Poole was between the sticks...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 247008.stm
Not the best quality, but this is that game highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jVZFxUGHsE