The Ballad of a Reading Goal. Wild expectations. (H) 29/Jan/19

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Ballad of a Reading Goal. Wild expectations. (H) 29/Jan/19

Post by Jugs » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Nowhere near good enough

The cold hard facts are that we're now in February and we've scored 19 goals all season.

Parky out

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 pm

Well fck me, we scored. By all accounts (well one, Marc Iles blog) it got heated when the clown subbed Connell. Hobbs gets Parky out of jail. But a draw at home against a team in the bottom 3 isn’t good enough. Parky out.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 pm

+1

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 pm

Come on, who didn't think he'd take Connell off at some point? It was a nailed on sub from the moment we saw he was starting. Predictable.

Mind, he's not the first Bolton boss to make a predictable decision like that

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 pm
Hope Tango's ok.
Cheers Enoch, I'm fine. Watched the second half on stream. Pen was dodgy but we got half lucky. We're not good enough for this league as we are: Slow, predictable, ball watching and coukdn't hit tin ducks at a fairground with free shots all night. What the xxxk was Donaldson doing when he hammered the ball straight out of touch? We did keep going, but they made us chase shadows and out-muscled us far too often with lightweight players. A point's a point, but for the pen it would have been three. Then again....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:17 pm

There's a relief, thought we'd lost you!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:33 pm

If he’d of had Oztumer on the bench to bring on for Connell he might have got away with it, but because he can pass a ball to a teammate Parky hasn’t the foggiest what to do with him.

Donaldsons fecking spent, a spent championship/league one journeyman. A downgrade on LS Fondre. Maggennis...feck knows what has gone on there. Looked decent in September. OK he isn’t going to get into the majority of teams in this league but for whatever reason his head has gone and Parky get a tune out of him. It’s Groundhog Day...you can say the same thing about most performances. Reading will be kicking themselves.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 pm

I've only seen it once but from what I saw it was never a pen, shocking decision. He didn't even touch him.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:54 pm

I’ve just heard a quote from Parky where he calls tonight a “great game”. I wasn’t there. Was it?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:02 pm

^ no! It was feckin awful.

Slow and pedestrian as always and we offered next to nowt. One or two had awful games. Ameobi, Lowe (worst I've seen him play) & Donaldson (what has he done to get picked ahead of Magennis?!).

O'Neill ran himself into the ground and it was a pleasure to watch Connell but he needs to get away from Parky if his careers going to progress.

Reading are a poor side but once again we made the opposition look like world beaters. I'm not sure I can face coughing up another £650 to watch more of PPs dross next season in a lower division
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:25 pm

Judging by the photos of the stands you are not on your own. They announce the attendance incl ST holders (even if they don’t turn up). Given as 12k - looked like about 8.

Kens biggest other issue (other than near certain relagation) is the amount of fans who won’t renew with this man in charge. I mean Inenjoyed watching us in league one as we actually competed but it certainly wasn’t a season where we blew the league away with our football. We did just about enough in enough games to finish above Fleetwood.

This guy in charge = big drop in ST sold I think, so it will hit the club in the pocket.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:41 pm

I'll be forever grateful for what Parky has done for us so in the past, but it's a case of thanks for the memories now. He's turned this season into a disaster. From letting ALF go and deciding to see what happens with a League One clogger and an old dude who balloons every chance that comes his way, to setting us up to invite pressure in pretty much every single game, he's turning myself and many other fans away.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:02 am

Jugs wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:41 pm
I'll be forever grateful for what Parky has done for us so in the past, but it's a case of thanks for the memories now. He's turned this season into a disaster. From letting ALF go and deciding to see what happens with a League One clogger and an old dude who balloons every chance that comes his way, to setting us up to invite pressure in pretty much every single game, he's turning myself and many other fans away.
Agree with that. I felt very uneasy when the crowd turned on Parky. I wasn't at Rochdale or Burton so that's the first time I've really seen it. I wish he'd walk away now with some dignity intact and our thanks for what he's done before. There's a whole malaise around the club that will only get worse the longer he stays around
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 am

He might well be staying in the knowledge that we haven’t the ability to appoint another, out of some loyalty.

Once Ken got here Lennon fecked right off sharpish with the squad in similar circumstances. Parky is perhaps morally a bit more sound...even if this football is killing the Club.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:13 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:33 am
Once Ken got here Lennon fecked right off sharpish with the squad in similar circumstances. Parky is perhaps morally a bit more sound...even if this football is killing the Club.
I know what you mean but I didn't see Lennon's departure as a ship-jumping rat; more as a plank-walking execution.

It would probably be the same if (as we must surely now be praying) Ken sells to a new owner with a new idea. In almost all cases, the manager doesn't last long.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:05 am

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:37 pm
Oh dear PP.

How to lose all the fans in one foul swoop.
BN: PP defends decision to sub Connell and gets as close as he's ever come to 'berating' fans.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... fans-fury/
I am absolutely shocked, I have got to be honest. We played a young kid who is 17, on Friday we gave him his debut, and as a staff we contemplated a big risk starting him again with the demands of the Championship football. We started him but any more than 60 minutes is going to be a risk. Everybody on the bench could see he was tiring and I am not going to get one of our young kids injured.

When I took him off, and the reaction, I was so shocked. I thought 'surely people will realise I am doing it to protect the kid'. It wasn’t because he hadn’t played well. And it changed the whole atmosphere of the ground – it was very, very difficult to play.

I'm honestly shocked and I'm not bothered about the fans having a go at me. But the atmosphere created on the pitch for the players – their team – in such a great game...

But not only that, I put another young kid on and young Joe has been terrific for us and yet he’s had to play in that kind of atmosphere. It is only the character of a proper team that got us back into the game tonight. I am so proud of them.
Elsewise:
I thought the first half was even. We knew they would have possession and take risks at the back. We pressed them high and won the ball back, got into some good positions, but our selection of pass wasn't as good as it needed to be.

Second half I thought we were terrific. We had some great chances. We had a bit more conviction in our pressing and they weren't really in the game. You're always going to be dangerous on the break with Aluko and Barrow and players like that but it was a soft penalty. We were unlucky to get that given against us.

The lads were brilliant to get back into it. The atmosphere was difficult to play in and they've come back fantastically well.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:05 am
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:37 pm
Oh dear PP.

How to lose all the fans in one foul swoop.
BN: PP defends decision to sub Connell and gets as close as he's ever come to 'berating' fans.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... fans-fury/
I am absolutely shocked, I have got to be honest. We played a young kid who is 17, on Friday we gave him his debut, and as a staff we contemplated a big risk starting him again with the demands of the Championship football. We started him but any more than 60 minutes is going to be a risk. Everybody on the bench could see he was tiring and I am not going to get one of our young kids injured.

When I took him off, and the reaction, I was so shocked. I thought 'surely people will realise I am doing it to protect the kid'. It wasn’t because he hadn’t played well. And it changed the whole atmosphere of the ground – it was very, very difficult to play.

I'm honestly shocked and I'm not bothered about the fans having a go at me. But the atmosphere created on the pitch for the players – their team – in such a great game...

But not only that, I put another young kid on and young Joe has been terrific for us and yet he’s had to play in that kind of atmosphere. It is only the character of a proper team that got us back into the game tonight. I am so proud of them.
Elsewise:
I thought the first half was even. We knew they would have possession and take risks at the back. We pressed them high and won the ball back, got into some good positions, but our selection of pass wasn't as good as it needed to be.

Second half I thought we were terrific. We had some great chances. We had a bit more conviction in our pressing and they weren't really in the game. You're always going to be dangerous on the break with Aluko and Barrow and players like that but it was a soft penalty. We were unlucky to get that given against us.

The lads were brilliant to get back into it. The atmosphere was difficult to play in and they've come back fantastically well.
Deluded pr*ck, he should go, plot completely lost, poor motivator, useless tactician and personality of a wet rag on a grey day.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Parky: "... such a great game .." ,"...we were terrific..."
*sigh*.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:07 pm

I managed to arrange a couple of days of up north stuff and so was able to take in this game.

I accept Parky's explanation, but at the time the sub was a very annoying moment. Connell didn't seem tired, and had had a really good first 25 minutes of the second half. He looks a real talent. Composed, really good left foot, good awareness. He looked our best player, and he didn't appear to be breaking sweat. At 17, it seemed unlikely that he had run out of energy, and it certainly didn't look like that to the naked eye. In addition a 36 y/o O'Neil and a 34 y/o Donaldson both playing in roles that demanded a lot of running seemed more obvious candidates to be subbed. Still Parky is in a position to know much more than we do, so we have to accept his view.

I hadn't really heard the crowd turn on Parky like that before, and it was quite shocking. I really felt that Parky might resign after the game had we lost. The moment of the sub was just the trigger event for the fans to really express the view that we are going nowhere playing like this imho, except to L1 and a near death experience off the pitch, at best. It is a sad and demoralizing situation, but to me we have reached the point where any change at all is worth a try, even if with the state of the club it is very unlikely to change our course.

Reading were quite good imho. They have expensive players, and were by far the more accomplished side. They missed a sitter after about 10mins, and had a couple of other good chances in the first half. We had a decent spell in the first 15mins of the 2nd half, but they deserved to win. If we are going to stay up, it is hard to see us finishing above them. We had better drag Millwalll or maybe Wigan into it. But really hard to see that happening.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:35 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:07 pm
I managed to arrange a couple of days of up north stuff and so was able to take in this game.

I accept Parky's explanation, but at the time the sub was a very annoying moment. Connell didn't seem tired, and had had a really good first 25 minutes of the second half. He looks a real talent. Composed, really good left foot, good awareness. He looked our best player, and he didn't appear to be breaking sweat. At 17, it seemed unlikely that he had run out of energy, and it certainly didn't look like that to the naked eye. In addition a 36 y/o O'Neil and a 34 y/o Donaldson both playing in roles that demanded a lot of running seemed more obvious candidates to be subbed. Still Parky is in a position to know much more than we do, so we have to accept his view.

I hadn't really heard the crowd turn on Parky like that before, and it was quite shocking. I really felt that Parky might resign after the game had we lost. The moment of the sub was just the trigger event for the fans to really express the view that we are going nowhere playing like this imho, except to L1 and a near death experience off the pitch, at best. It is a sad and demoralizing situation, but to me we have reached the point where any change at all is worth a try, even if with the state of the club it is very unlikely to change our course.

Reading were quite good imho. They have expensive players, and were by far the more accomplished side. They missed a sitter after about 10mins, and had a couple of other good chances in the first half. We had a decent spell in the first 15mins of the 2nd half, but they deserved to win. If we are going to stay up, it is hard to see us finishing above them. We had better drag Millwalll or maybe Wigan into it. But really hard to see that happening.
So if Reading are an accomplished side. *snort*, how the fxck do we "drag Millwall or maybe Wigan into it"? They, surely, must be pure diamond in comparison?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください