Release or rehire?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Which contract-elapsing players would you want back next season?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:16 pm

Ben Amos
No votes
Mark Beevers
13%
David Wheater
20%
Jack Hobbs
1%
Marc Wilson
2%
Mark Little
11%
Andrew Taylor
8%
Jonathan Grounds
No votes
Lloyd Dyer
No votes
Gary O'Neil
7%
Josh Vela
15%
Joe Williams
6%
Callum Connolly
6%
Will Buckley
3%
Craig Noone
7%
Yanic Wildschut
1%
Clayton Donaldson
No votes

Total votes: 100

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Release or rehire?

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Alright, it's a bit premature, given we've no idea of the club's owner, manager or indeed existence by summer. However, I'm intrigued to see how many, if any, of the players whose contracts elapse in June you'd want to see back next season. (I think we can safely assume we'll be in League One, or the North West Counties, in which case it's a different question and quite possibly different forum name.)

The players who are contracted into next season are:

Ben Alnwick
Remi Matthews
Pawel Olkowski
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
Erhun Oztumer
Sammy Ameobi
Josh Magennis

- plus U23s Connor Hall and Yohan Zouma. As far as I'm aware, all other contracts are up.

So, tick the lads you'd like back in the camp for the League One campaign. For the record, among the loanees, Wildschut is out of contract this summer, Grounds and Williams 2020, Connolly 2021.

The poll's set to end on June 30 (when the contracts elapse; the release list will be announced before that), you can pick as many as you like, and you can also change your mind.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Re: Release or rehire?

Post by nelson66 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:55 pm

i could only bring myself to vote for Vela and Wheater -- all the others can do one
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:01 pm

I’d take Weavers and Vela. I think Vela is a goner and Incant blame him...needs a new manager and some coaches who can get the best out of him before his career goes. Weavers should be an excellent league one partnership again.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Wheavers, Taylor and Vela for me. Probs Little but I don't think he'd stay. But all of those would need improving if we came back up again.

Probs one of Wilson or Hobbs for cover too if they're on pennies.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Agree with all the above. At the same time I wouldn't be too upset to see none of them again
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm
Agree with all the above. At the same time I wouldn't be too upset to see none of them again
And with a different manager Harry? I feel for Phil Parkinson, I really do, but he's been defensive minded all season and we're bottom of the league; that has to tell its own story. Time and time again everybody and his uncle Charlie have been chanting "Support" and still nobody ventured forth in attack mode. Everything we do takes half-an-hour and backwards is the new forwards in our diction Harry. (See what I did there?) :wink: We need a new mind-set as much as new players. Our game plan is straight out of Rupert the Bear....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:56 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm
And with a different manager Harry?
Most definitely. The guy can leave with his head held high after managing under horrendous circumstances and would be likely to pop up at another League 1 side before too long.

We need a fresh start from top to bottom if we can survive this.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:07 am

I'm not yet at the point where I can make a rational decision as to what represents a good and practical league one side. We need to firstly exist. My fear is that even if we exist next season will be a survival struggle. The turmoil round the place will take a lot to clear. Frankly I'll settle for still being a league one side come the end of next season - because at least we'll still exist in that scenario.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31 am

For the record, I went for Wheavers, Little, Vela, Gaz O'Neil and Noone.

Wheavers proved last time they can do well in this division, and although Big Dave's 32 now, he seems a vital bloke to have around the place. Obviously a lot depends on finance but even more obviously we don't know much about that. I'm assuming we'll be neither stinking rich nor piss-pot poor.

Although defensively limited, Mark Little has had a rough deal and I'm expecting Olkowski to go. Mind, I'm expecting Little to go too.

Josh Vela's a decent League One player and, again, appears to have been overlooked. He could make up for lost time. It might be heartwarming.

Gaz O'Neil - yes, he's 36 soon, but he's got more pace and energy than a lot of players a decade younger. Again, depends on finance, but to me he seems exactly the type of wise old head that can lead a group.

And finally, I went for Craig Noone. He's genuinely left-footed, works hard and can't half cross a ball when he's (1) given it in the right place (2) has some bugger to aim for. It's a low bar but he single-handedly ripped Walsall apart. I'd want competition for him but I think he'd have something to offer in the third tier.

By the way, I'm assuming a new manager. Vela and Little wouldn't re-sign for Parky, and while the rest seems to speak highly of him, I'm not sure his absence would make them turn down a deal. And I'm also not sure many of these will get a tier-two job; Beevers, maybe. The days of being worried that Vela will be the next Clough/Holding spirited away seem a long time ago now.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 am

I saw a Tweet from Mrs Wheater saying that after X years in Bolton it's a wrench to be leaving etc. So I guess that's him off then?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 am

Might have to be as many of them as possible if we get this transfer ban!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 am
Well, this is assuming we're not in embargo but it's a fair question: does an embargo rule out free transfers? Does an embargo also rule out renewing existing but elapsing contracts? Is it a transfer embargo or a registration embargo? How come we signed so many players last time? etc

EDIT It's in the EFL's gift but it's potentially bad.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... --players/
Without prejudice to any other powers or restrictions set out in these Regulations or as may be ordered by a Disciplinary Commission, where any Club defaults on payment of any amounts:
    due to any other Club (or club) (including but not limited to any Transfer Fee, Compensation Fee, Loan Fee, other contributions due pursuant to the terms of any Temporary Loan Transfer, or any subsequent payments which become due under the terms of any original transfer(s), ticket monies, or other payments pursuant to the terms of any other agreement); and/or

covered by Article 48.1.5 (football creditor claims of full time or former full time employees for arrears of remuneration due up to the date of termination of employment),
for a period of 30 days (whether one default of 30 days, or a number of individual defaults which when taken together amount to 30 days) or more in any 12 month period (1st July to 30th June) (Persistent Default) then that Club shall not be permitted to pay or commit to pay any Transfer Fee, Compensation Fee or Loan Fee or any other form of payment (other than a sell on fee) in respect of the registration of any Player during the period:
  • a) commencing on the date on which the Persistent Default occurred; and

b) ending at the end of the next following Season.
Fluffy and it ends in a blizzard of tautology ("ending at the end of the next following season"?) but basically, if we're in default to football creditors - so, not just our players but Dale Vince - then the EFL can stop us registering any players at all before June 30th 2020. Ooh.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am
Prufrock wrote:
Well, this is assuming we're not in embargo but it's a fair question: does an embargo rule out free transfers? Does an embargo also rule out renewing existing but elapsing contracts? Is it a transfer embargo or a registration embargo? How come we signed so many players last time? etc
The league make it all up as they go along. Given Anderson was Harvey's best mate and let us get away with whatever we liked I suspect that it will be a full registration embargo and we'll be left with the worst kids we've got left only. Because any of the good ones like Connell are leaving asap.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:58 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am
Prufrock wrote:
The league make it all up as they go along. Given Anderson was Harvey's best mate and let us get away with whatever we liked I suspect that it will be a full registration embargo and we'll be left with the worst kids we've got left only. Because any of the good ones like Connell are leaving asap.
See above edit. (Yes, they make it up as they go along, but they have the stated power and authority to embargo us until next summer.)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:01 pm

None of the Above.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 pm

The EFL must surely allow teams in embargo to sign non contracted players/free agents?

We'd be in danger of not being able to field a full XI otherwise!

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 am
I saw a Tweet from Mrs Wheater saying that after X years in Bolton it's a wrench to be leaving etc. So I guess that's him off then?!
I have a lot of admiration for this man -- i know he's got his faults (as we all have) but I've never forgotten that he offered/and did play for the Wanderers for free !!

If he does go - he will be greatly missed
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 am
When?

There's nowt on her Twitter feed that says that, Bruce.

https://twitter.com/LauraWheater

The closest, and her only recent tweet, is this from the morning of the (latest) winder:
Nowt there about leaving, champ. Not yet, anyway.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Wheater's my sort of bloke in that he's an honest grafter, brave as a lion and always been a Bolton Wanderers since he arrived. I'd reward him as a payback for his honest endeavour to us. No 1 on my list.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Ok. None of the above. Except Wheater.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください