General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 am

It really wasn't a big problem. And aside from the first few months I haven't seen it enforced once.

Was Boris nonsense, quick publicity. It's astonishing that a quiet G&T is banned but eating egg mayo sandwiches or listening to music on full volume isn't.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:08 pm

All very interesting but doesn't excuse a potential Home Secretary displaying a willingness to ignore the rule of law.

I could list many laws I think are stupid, some of them I choose to ignore.

I have never put myself forward for public office.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:12 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:08 pm
All very interesting but doesn't excuse a potential Home Secretary displaying a willingness to ignore the rule of law.

I could list many laws I think are stupid, some of them I choose to ignore.

I have never put myself forward for public office.
You need to. I'll vote for you.

Dianne Abbot is a prick. Well... Obviously not a prick. More like a clit... Then again...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Glad to see the Rule of Law getting a strong defence and look forward to more of the same next time it's under threat.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 pm

The older I get, the less I see an aspiring minister flouting the law, and the more I see someone after a day's work just saying "I'm having a quiet drink on the way home'. And I say fair feck* to her. And I've never hidden the fact that I've voted Conservative since the age of 18.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:22 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 pm
Glad to see the Rule of Law getting a strong defence and look forward to more of the same next time it's under threat.
You're smarter than that.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Currently building a wood store/she'd. Just run out of timber. How ironic.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:28 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:22 am
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:32 pm
You're smarter than that.
Case in point.

The actions of Chris Davies MP were petty and no doubt replicated many times elsewhere on a daily basis but if you choose to put yourself in a position of public office it's pathetic behaviour and he should do the honourable thing.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:54 pm
Currently building a wood store/she'd. Just run out of timber. How ironic.
Thought I'd be all cocky and put a tiled roof on it. Never done before. I thought it was obvious you'd put your slats at half tile intervals :doh: :oops:
I now have lots of interesting tiny holes in the roof. I'm going to have to dismantle the fxcking thing and put the slats more like a third of a tile deep...
Why the fxck I didn't check on the tinternet first, I don't know. An entire day wasted...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:10 pm

I could have told you that! :)

"Ed Miliband calls on the energy minister to persuade Theresa May to declare a “climate emergency” in the UK."

Can anyone explain to me what that translates to in English?

Or is it just a case of someone that used to be famous trying to be noticed?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:10 pm
So why didntcha? :P
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:37 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 pm
Enoch wrote:
You only had to ask.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:37 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:24 pm
Enoch wrote:
You only had to ask.
Fairynuff.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Why now?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17 ... hoolgirls/

I probably would have just passed this by except for a couple of personal reasons (nothing to do with the case I hastily add) : Oxford Grove Primary school was only a very few hundred yards from my own primary of St Josephs, my first girl friend( of schooldays) lived on Shepherd Cross Street where the school is, I later lived even closer on Elgin Street and Oxford Grove playing field was our home ground when I played amateur football for Brownlow Fold in my twenties. My lad (now in California) also lived next door to P.J.Proby in Hatfield Road which borders Oxford Grove. It was home territory...

All this is entirely irrelevant to the article, but it's what drew my interest in the first place. I read it and noted that the alleged offences happened thirty years ago. This made me wonder, as my first line: Why wait till now to bring it up? I make no comments on the offence, views as ever may be mixed, just wonder. The "accused" is almost 70 .....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 pm
Why now?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17 ... hoolgirls/

I probably would have just passed this by except for a couple of personal reasons (nothing to do with the case I hastily add) : Oxford Grove Primary school was only a very few hundred yards from my own primary of St Josephs, my first girl friend( of schooldays) lived on Shepherd Cross Street where the school is, I later lived even closer on Elgin Street and Oxford Grove playing field was our home ground when I played amateur football for Brownlow Fold in my twenties. My lad (now in California) also lived next door to P.J.Proby in Hatfield Road which borders Oxford Grove. It was home territory...

All this is entirely irrelevant to the article, but it's what drew my interest in the first place. I read it and noted that the alleged offences happened thirty years ago. This made me wonder, as my first line: Why wait till now to bring it up? I make no comments on the offence, views as ever may be mixed, just wonder. The "accused" is almost 70 .....
The alleged offences were only reported to police in 2017 when the former pupil disclosed what had happened to her to a behavioural therapist.
It is explained in the article. Not sure the accused age is relevant. If guilty then they should be punished the same as if they are not guilty they should be exonerated. The fact is that the people who have come forward with the claims will find it very hard to prove given the passage of time. But doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I'd also pose this question - doesn't the passage of time rather suggest that the allegations are more likely to be true? If one were to invent such things as an "act of revenge" I doubt you'd wait thirty years....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 pm

There was a teacher at my school who, if he's still alive, I imagine goes into a cold sweat whenever he sees stories like this.

All the girls in his class knew he was a perv and did what they could to avoid being too close to him. They'd have been aged 12, 13, 14 at the time. His behaviour was an open secret in and around the school.

If folk like him are being brought to justice 30 years later then better late than never imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 pm
There was a teacher at my school who, if he's still alive, I imagine goes into a cold sweat whenever he sees stories like this.

All the girls in his class knew he was a perv and did what they could to avoid being too close to him. They'd have been aged 12, 13, 14 at the time. His behaviour was an open secret in and around the school.

If folk like him are being brought to justice 30 years later then better late than never imo
I doubt there's ever been a school without a smut merchant of some degree Harry (One got sacked from our primary school for being too fond of putting girls over his knee and applying a gym shoe to rears. Another was known as the "pocket billiards king " ) Having three daughters of my own(for whom schooldays are somewhat distant memories, granted) I like to think I would have known about any of them being subjected to sexual harassment in thirty minutes, not thirty years later. My point, I suppose, was if it's impossible to prove the perpetrator was guilty, how much harder will it be to prove him innocent? A man of seventy with probably a wife and maybe daughters of his own, accused of something like this without proof means he'll automatically be guilty in some eyes. If he is, he'll know it and have to live with it. If he isn't......
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:34 pm

I understand your concerns TD but ultimately under UK law he doesn't have to prove he's innocent. He already is until proven otherwise.

Until quite recently men in authority could act with impunity. I'm glad as a society we no longer turn a blind eye to such stuff because we certainly used to. The alternative to not pursuing such accusations doesn't bear thinking about
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:34 pm
ultimately under UK law he doesn't have to prove he's innocent. He already is until proven otherwise.
Ah, yes, in the eyes of the law. Not necessarily in the eyes of the mob, as Christopher Jefferies might testify.

No issue with old cases. Some issues around confidentiality.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 pm

When I was 13 I was fondled by a master at school. His behavior was also an open secret. When, like me, those dumb enough to be last to leave his room and get caught alone emerged there was always a bevy of fellow students waiting and laughing. There was even a story that he'd had a 13-year old son killed in the war to account for his behavior - something I'm sure was fabrication. It was an unpleasant few minutes (5? 10?) but had no lasting psychological effect. It was simply one of the many things one put up with in boarding school. I would never have dreamed of telling my parents and I don't suppose others did since nothing was even done about him. But this was in 1957 and times have changed.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.