Administration and recovery

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Administration and recovery

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 25, 2019 7:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:45 am
Don't agree.

First take best case scenario. Someone normal comes in quickly with a decent budget (for wages, given the embargo) and we end up with a good manager. Similar to last time we were in League 1. Broken champ squad full of deadwood, embargo, lots of wheeling and dealing. Last time around 12 points deducted would have left is in the play offs, 15 would not.

At the more realistic end of the spectrum. Say this drags on through the summer. We're left with our 6 first team players and the kids. Pick up the odd dirt cheap free to make a squad. We finally get taken over on September and are limited to out of contract players until Jan. Parky is still here but the fans aren't happy. Come Jan we will spend some money. 12-15 could easily be the difference between staying up and going down again. I'd go as far as to say the difference between 12 and 20 probably would.
The situation between now and last is that we went down with quality. This time we aren’t. And an empty squad.

I want us to stay up. Doing so would be excellent. But any owner has to come in and plan that we go down. Because that’s very likely. Any new owner who is put off by that is too short term for where we are I think.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 pm

No we fecking didn't! They were useless shithouses as well. Don't forget they got spanked 6-0 (6-1?) about 3 weeks before the end of the season.

In any case, it's clearly the case that a difference of (say) 9 points could easily be the difference between what division we're in the year after next. Agree that you'd hope anyone sensible wouldn't be put off by that, but even if they're not is going to affect e.g. price and so how quickly they can get their feet under the door, decide on the manager, and start building a squad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 25, 2019 9:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:05 pm
The situation between now and last is that we went down with quality. This time we aren’t. And an empty squad.
Did we balls!

Things do look grim as it stands today with only half a dozen contracted players but don't let that cloud your judgement re the last lot. They were bloody awful!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun May 26, 2019 10:53 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 pm
No we fecking didn't! They were useless shithouses as well. Don't forget they got spanked 6-0 (6-1?) about 3 weeks before the end of the season.

In any case, it's clearly the case that a difference of (say) 9 points could easily be the difference between what division we're in the year after next. Agree that you'd hope anyone sensible wouldn't be put off by that, but even if they're not is going to affect e.g. price and so how quickly they can get their feet under the door, decide on the manager, and start building a squad.
I would buy the club on the assumption another relegation is virtually nailed on, anything else is a massive bonus, as BWFCi says it's a long term, expensive, project taking over this club a target of five years to be a strong and stable (sorry for the pun) championship team would not be unreasonable, the reality is with the best will in the world we would be not far short of a decade away from the Prem,

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 26, 2019 11:47 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:01 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:05 pm
Did we balls!

Things do look grim as it stands today with only half a dozen contracted players but don't let that cloud your judgement re the last lot. They were bloody awful!
The squad that went down wasn’t brilliant but it had Madine who had scored 28 in a season at that level before. Mark Davies. Spearing. Wheater.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 26, 2019 12:52 pm

Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

That squad was awful in the second tier under two managers hopelessly out of their depths (Lennon and Phillips). But in the lower level under a pragmatic manager they were too good for the division.

As I calculated at the time (can't be arsed digging out the post but I did, honest :D ) we were operating on four times the average third-tier wage bill – which has recently been confirmed by Iles:
In Bolton’s last season at this level the average weekly wage of a player was a massive £10,573 – more than seven times that of AFC Wimbledon (£1,451) and four times the divisional average (£2,600) in 2017.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... mewasters/

Now, some of those wages were on Ben Amos, but not all of them. Players like Spearing and Madine were still on Ye Olde wages, and were among the most effective in the division. Beevers chose us above other options Millwall and Barnsley so I daresay he wasn't on buttons by League One standards. Premier emigres like Wheater and Taylor signed or re-signed. And, as I say, under an efficient manager they were too good for the division, gathering 1.86ppg.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun May 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Has anybody directly contacted Qatar?
Anybody?
Somebody should call Qatar Sports Investments: they've got billions and are looking to invest in English football; their first choice is Leeds apparently...
I mean, I'd do it (but one look at my posts and they'd be inviting me to an embassy in Turkey, for an impromptu tandoori).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Super Dave
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super Dave » Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:18 pm
Has anybody directly contacted Qatar?
Anybody?
Somebody should call Qatar Sports Investments: they've got billions and are looking to invest in English football; their first choice is Leeds apparently...
I mean, I'd do it (but one look at my posts and they'd be inviting me to an embassy in Turkey, for an impromptu tandoori).
The Qatari angle at Leeds is a mixed bag.... QSI are ultimately owned by the Qatari state. So on the one hand they've got lots of money but on the other hand the country is rife with modern slavery and they jail women who become pregnant outside wedlock. So Leeds would be able to pay the wages for a bunch of Premiership hopefuls, but we wouldn't be able to look at ourselves in the mirror to shave.

I'd rather Leeds stayed put where they are and duke it out on the sustainable budget that they've got rather than go the Villa/Derby/Bristol City route of becoming a billionaires plaything and sticking two fingers up to the FFP rules.

.....and it's not often you get to take the moral high ground as a Leeds supporter. In fact, it's new territory.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun May 26, 2019 3:56 pm

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sun May 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Something needs to happen soon else next season will be upon us before we know.
As for points deduction, 12 for admin I sincerely hope the EFL do not punish the fans any further else it would be a pointless season for a paying spectators perspective.
Those players that jumped ship want flogging for their actions, they will get paid eventually but, the damage they have done will cost the club a lot. They were a bad bunch and self centred.
Hopefully the new owners will have some idea how a football club should be run, we've had too many Laurel and Hardy's for too long.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun May 26, 2019 6:46 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:12 pm
As for points deduction, 12 for admin I sincerely hope the EFL do not punish the fans any further else it would be a pointless season for a paying spectators perspective.
Those players that jumped ship want flogging for their actions, they will get paid eventually but, the damage they have done will cost the club a lot. They were a bad bunch and self centred.
Hopefully the new owners will have some idea how a football club should be run, we've had too many Laurel and Hardy's for too long.
The deadline is set. Administrators hope to confirm new ownership by 26th or 27th June.

That’s a very fast timescale and cannot see it happening before then. Final deadline for bids is 7th June. Then a few weeks to sort through bids and go through processes with the new owners. What I hope is that all prospective owners can complete on that timescale and have clear plans and ideas for what to do after if they are successful.

Crucial for me that we get owners who know football. And English football. No good having a Venkys situation. Loadsa money but everything done by committee in India took them years to understand the speed at which football moves....

Super Dave
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super Dave » Sun May 26, 2019 8:31 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:56 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48412747

Jesus flipping wept.
Shaun Harvey's lack of oversight is responsible for the whole issue.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Super Dave wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:31 pm
LeverEnd wrote:

Jesus flipping wept.

He's unbelievable. No self awareness whatsoever. I'd love to know what he thinks he brings to the party.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon May 27, 2019 1:41 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 pm
Super Dave wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

Jesus flipping wept.

He's unbelievable. No self awareness whatsoever. I'd love to know what he thinks he brings to the party.
Ken Anderson,

That's what he brings.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 27, 2019 2:57 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:29 pm
Super Dave wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:

Jesus flipping wept.

He brings a Bodkan and needs at least a couple of Party Sevens.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:46 pm
Athertonian wrote:
The deadline is set. Administrators hope to confirm new ownership by 26th or 27th June.

That’s a very fast timescale and cannot see it happening before then. Final deadline for bids is 7th June. Then a few weeks to sort through bids and go through processes with the new owners. What I hope is that all prospective owners can complete on that timescale and have clear plans and ideas for what to do after if they are successful.

Crucial for me that we get owners who know football. And English football. No good having a Venkys situation. Loadsa money but everything done by committee in India took them years to understand the speed at which football moves....
We are still recovering from a major operation, stage1 of kenectomy. We haven't had the all clear from that yet.

It still barely makes financial sense to buy us even from administration.

I would be over the moon with a Venky's, especially as the mistakes they made are there for all to see, and many others have since bought clubs with no knowledge of the game, and employed people to oversee the football side of things. How well did Man City's know the English game when they invested?

The main criteria is that they have the money to hang around for a little while, clear things up and bring stability, and for them to have some integrity and pay the bills and wages on time.

piesrus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by piesrus » Mon May 27, 2019 6:49 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:

We are still recovering from a major operation, stage1 of kenectomy. We haven't had the all clear from that yet.

I would be over the moon with a Venky's, especially as the mistakes they made are there for all to see, and many others have since bought clubs with no knowledge of the game, and employed people to oversee the football side of things. How well did Man City's know the English game when they invested?

The main criteria is that they have the money to hang around for a little while, clear things up and bring stability, and for them to have some integrity and pay the bills and wages on time.
👍👍👍

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 28, 2019 9:10 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Athertonian wrote:

The money men are unlikely to know football. But having people that do will be crucial to us.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:59 am

I wonder if Stelios will be throwing his hat in the ring again ?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -takeover/

Still has a home in the area too
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue May 28, 2019 12:57 pm

Super Dave wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 1:18 pm

.....and it's not often you get to take the moral high ground as a Leeds supporter. In fact, it's new territory.
Lol, & props (to you both:).