Questions to which I can't find answers:

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Questions to which I can't find answers:

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:42 pm

Even in this day and age with t'internet and all.

Firstly, I've been making my way through the Peanuts cartoons and find myself in 1965 when Snoopy first starts to imagine he is a first world war fighter ace pilot...

Why, when he sits on his Sopwith Camel before taking off to get shot down once more by the Red Baron, does he shout "Contact"?
What the fxck does that mean?

Secondly, when Charlie Brown is out to bat and all the bases are loaded (Snoopy on third, Linus on second, and Lucy on first), and Schroeder and Violet are after Charlie Brown in the batting order, and he gets three strikes, is that it? Is the innings over, or does Schroeder get a go with Snoopy, Linus and Lucy still on their bases?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Questions to which I can't find answers:

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:46 pm

And, why don't all clouds rain? Why some and not others, I mean they're all composed of water, why do some leak and some float serenely onwards?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 pm

And why does rain stop play in cricket? It doesn't in football, rugby, swimming, polo, horse racing or judo!

(although it does in tennis, but that's so Cliff Richard can sing).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:50 pm
And why does rain stop play in cricket? It doesn't in football, rugby, swimming, polo, horse racing or judo!

I think maybe five days compared to ninety minutes might be one factor Spots... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:32 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

I think maybe five days compared to ninety minutes might be one factor Spots... :D
Ah! (you can tell I don't watch cricket much), what happens if it pissed down for five days? Do they have a quick hour in the rain to decide it?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:34 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Ah! (you can tell I don't watch cricket much), what happens if it pissed down for five days? Do they have a quick hour in the rain to decide it?
I'm no cricket fan but I know the answer to that!

They employ the Duckworth Lewis rule.

I once had the misfortune to attend a sportsman's dinner where Mr Lewis was the guest speaker. Imagine a never ending test match between two overly cautious sides. It was duller than that
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:58 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
what happens if it pissed down for five days? Do they have a quick hour in the rain to decide it?

That, Harry, falls into the category..... fake news.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:27 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
what happens if it pissed down for five days? Do they have a quick hour in the rain to decide it?

:oops: I did say I wasn't a cricket fan. Have I got that wrong then?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 pm
Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:27 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

:oops: I did say I wasn't a cricket fan. Have I got that wrong then?
There are a lotttttttttt of questions, with very few answers... :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 pm

Finally found the answer to my first question. Answer supplied by very elderly gentleman who overheard my swearing at my smart phone.
Snoopy shouts "Contact" because way back when airplanes didn't have electrics you had to hand crank the props. If it was a six cylinder rotary engine you had to 'back' the prop six times to drain the oil and charge each cylinder with petrol. The ground crew then shouted contact to let the pilot know the cylinders were charged, and he turned on the magneto and shouted Contact back to let the prop handler know the magneto was on. The next twist of the prop by hand fired the engine up.
Many a finger/hand/limb were amputated by propeller if the correct procedure wasn't carried out, hence the need for clear communication between ground crew and pilot for the engine to be charged. Shouting "Contact" was the clear signal needed that the magneto was connected, brakes applied and engine charged.
There you go, you learn something new every day...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 pm

Thank you, Biggles.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:29 pm
Thank you, Biggles.
His name's not Biggles, it's Godfrey, and I'm currently supplying him with a Guinness in appreciation.
He says you're a cheeky fxcking young monkey. (He can do that because unlike Danny Baker he's ninety two and he was born when we actually had a British Empire - he didn't say that, I did :P ).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thank you, Biggles.
His name's not Biggles, it's Godfrey
Stupid boy.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:40 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thank you, Biggles.
His name's not Biggles, it's Godfrey
Stupid boy.
He says, and I quote "it took me twenty years to realise why people kept on saying 'Stupid Boy' to me. I first saw Dad's Army when I was over eighty. I've only had a television in my retirement home for the last ten years or so. Before that I only ever listened to the wireless".
I've bought him another drink on your tab (he's drinking like a fxcking fish ...)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:17 pm

I could have told you the ‘contact’ answer. I loved Biggles books as a kid. :D

As for the cricket, in my not massive experience of U10 girls pairs this season it’s mostly stopped so the kids sliding about doesn’t bugger up the school pitches - or the kids themselves tbh in this age of h & s. Similar in test matches I’m sure! :conf:

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:59 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Think it just gets abandoned and it's a draw

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:33 am

Biggles was a massive bag of oats( or his creator was) for the p.c brigade to feed on at one stage due to his "racism" (although he probably never knew the meaning of the word). Talk of banning all his books (I believe many areas withdrew them from libraries at one stage) . Balance seems to have been regained?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:16 am

Confession time: I've never read any Biggles. Nor have I read any Jeeves, Fabulous Five (or whatever they were called), or Jane Austen. Haven't read My Family and Other Animals, and never turned a page of Tennessee Williams (but I've seen allllllll of his films!)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:58 am

Re cricket.

In the longer form of the game (eg test matches, county championship 4 or 5 day stuff) there’s usually time allocated to catch up for any rain delays. Usually an early start the next day and extended evening session. This can catch up about 90minutes a day. If at the end of the 5 days, there’s no winner it’s simply a draw. Same as if all 5 days are washed out.

In limited overs (one day, twenty20) the duckworth Lewis is used. That’s a calculation to work out how many the side batting second need to have scored each over in case their innings is reduced in duration. Eg, side batting first scores 250 from 50 overs, Side batting second are 110/3 off 20 when the rain starts. The D/L will give a ‘par’ score as to how many runs the side batting second should have scored allowing for the fact they’ve lost 3 wickets. If they are above that, they win, if not, they lose.

Your original question was to do with why there’s a rain break. Simply put the game becomes shit in the rain. You can’t hold the ball properly if it’s wet or greasy, so bowling becomes nigh on impossible. A wet wicket will mean the bowlers slip and skid when landing risking injury. A wet wicket gives inconsistent bounce risking injury to the batsman. They’ll often play through a bit of rain but the umpires ultimately make a call as to whether it’s starting to affect the outcome of the game, and if so bring them off.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:32 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:16 am
Confession time: I've never read any Biggles. Nor have I read any Jeeves, Fabulous Five (or whatever they were called), or Jane Austen. Haven't read My Family and Other Animals, and never turned a page of Tennessee Williams (but I've seen allllllll of his films!)
Confession time 2: Famous Five, Secret Seven and Swallows and Amazons were happy childhood memories that I believe every child of any era should read and enjoy, and are books of times long past for us. I know most of Omar Khayyam's quatrains off by heart and read half-an-hour of Jane Austen every night right through her six major novels (all of which I also know off by heart to the extent I could lecture on them) ) and repeat ad infinitum. What better way to learn about nineteenth century England than from the pen of someone who actually lived it? Her creation of characters is second to none and relies on the mind and imagination of the reader rather than just the dictums of the writer. Plus the woman was well educated and highly intelligent in life. Sir Walter Scott and Rudyard Kipling thought so too, although the Bronte's weren't her greatest fans. Such a tragedy that their lives were so very short. Jane Austen was the eldest of them and she died at just 41 years old.

My book collection will always be reasonably small because, personally, I think it utter foolishness to use books as ornaments. Unless you are going to read them, why have them? Keep just those you'll read again. Same with first editions etc, why lock a book away in pristine condition and not read it, or put a Van Gogh, Renoir, Monet etc painting..in a bank safe. Anyway (standard closer word ?) it's all about personal choice in the end, so read happily on... :D