The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The next manager

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:06 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:39 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 pm
I think Pulis will fancy he can get another championship job yet
Pulis was great for Stoke, once he was settled in and king of the castle. But... I don't know, I don't think he has it in him to repeat his Stoke career.
he is what he is and will never change. It works to an extent but even some Stoke fans wanted rid.

One of my favourite stats from last season is that Boro scored fewer goals than Rotherham.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 pm

I said it before we got Lennon and I'm saying it again - Steve Evans. A proper character who knows how to get promoted, and who plays attacking football. The fans would love him.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:01 pm

A lot of talk regarding David Lee. I like Lee and admire his work with the U23s but, he's a coach and not a manager. Who knows?, he could do well but should he fail, his job as U23s would be already filled by someone else.
I quite like Simon Greyson, I admired his work in his early days at Blackpool. Leeds was a troubled place to go but Bolton could work in his favour. As long as Parky isn't considered then we have hope.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Indeed, my overwhelming concern is that Parkinson needs to say goodbye...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm

Jugs wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 pm
I said it before we got Lennon and I'm saying it again - Steve Evans. A proper character who knows how to get promoted, and who plays attacking football. The fans would love him.

Evans took over at Gillingham on 1st June. He's out of the running for now.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:18 pm

If only there was somebody out there with a proven track record of success in League 1..........
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:33 pm
Jugs wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Evans took over at Gillingham on 1st June. He's out of the running for now.
Ah, bollocks.

Watch out for Gillingham this season, though

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:18 pm
If only there was somebody out there with a proven track record of success in League 1..........

:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:06 pm

"Be careful what(who) you wish for" was never more relevant... 8)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:18 pm

:lol:
The finger then points to Parkinson?, sincerely hope not.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 pm

One thing that's struck me is that for a while now we've played very defensive football without any real attacking flair regardless of our manager or playing staff. That probably happens because players come and go one by one, rather than all at once, and new managers can't just chuck a new style at players that have been drilled a certain way for so long. Well now we have no players - so it's the perfect time to build a new attack-minded, forward-thinking brand at Bolton Wanderers. I think that's my only criteria for a new manager - someone with a preference for attacking, exciting teams. May take a while to get to the end result, but it'll be a good ride and hopefully worth it in the end.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:02 am

Have to say I'm kinda edging towards keeping Parky if he wants to stay.

On the one hand the whole club and fan base need a change. The last two seasons of being second best in pretty much every game (including most of those we got something from) have drained the enthusiasm out of most. Parky's ethos does not translate at all into any level where opposition players have genuine attacking talent, whether vision, pace, or finishing ability which covers most of the Championship.

However, in L1, starting on somewhere between -12 and -20, with no players, and most of the best signings in talks with other clubs, who better than to grind out results in a survival battle? Who else would you back to get 70 proper points which we might need just to survive? Especially as we might have to rely on a number of those who were here last season who are now out of contract.

It is a huge gamble to give the job to David Lee. A bright new attacking regime under a rookie manager sounds great, but if you're gonna outplay teams going forward you generally need better players over 46 games. How are we going to do that, when we are way behind on signings, have no players already, might be under an embargo, and will probably have limited funds? And whilst I can think of a couple of managers who might be able to do well from this position in L1 (Holloway, Grayson), I am not convinced they are a better option than Parky for us right now.

Staying up is crucially important. Football Ventures, if they are confirmed, might have the funds for two seasons of £10m+ operating losses, but from L2 it could be a lot longer, and as Notts County have proved having a 20k+ capacity stadium and a proud history is no guarantee of preventing further decline.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:20 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:02 am
Have to say I'm kinda edging towards keeping Parky if he wants to stay.

On the one hand the whole club and fan base need a change.
That's it for me. Keeping Parky says to me they have no vision and miss a massive opportunity to get fans onside and have a real fresh start.
Fairly or not, he is tainted now and absolutely has to go.
We've had the 'but who would want it?' debate on here lots of times, and lots of managers always do.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am

Quite aside from his third-tier PPG, keeping Parky makes sense in a few ways. He would be likely to persuade at least half a dozen of the uncontracted players to re-sign immediately, and quickly bolster that with others from elsewhere - he and Breacker seem to have a strong knowledge of lower-league players and a reasonable record at signing them. (Also, those players already at the club would be able to recommend the move to potential new signings, more honestly so than they would for a new gaffer.) There would also be continuity with club staff, preseason training etc.

But. And it’s a big but. That benefit would be short-term, and it would need a huge PR positivity followed by a very quick start to keep the (understandable) malcontents at bay.

It can be done. One of our worst ever seasons, followed by a summer in which star players were sold and the assistant manager forced to leave after a court case, ended in a 98pt title stroll. Indeed, this club has a history of what became known as bouncebackability. This, though, is probably the hardest job since the early 80s, and in some way harder. Do the fans, the players and most crucially the new owners have faith that Parky is the best candidate?

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am

I think PR plays a big role in football. If the fans don't back you, you start every game a few paces back. We need a change of atmosphere and perception as much as - if not more than - a change of approach. That's why Parky can't stay for me.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 am

We need a clean break.
I do not like Parkinson's style. It's beyond negative, it's defeatist, boring, tedious, numbing, feckless, flairless, and pointless.
I go to football matches to watch football not just to see us grind out yet another point (at best) or watch us get a tedious drubbing (at worst).
There is no way he's going to get us back into the Championship starting on negative points. And even if it was guaranteed he would, I'd still vote for a more hazardous but potentially inspiring route into the future.
For me, personally, he's already outstayed his welcome. He needs to go. He's a bit like Theresa May, with a stubborn refusal to see his faults and having no idea his time is up (let's hope Shazza has a better candidate than Gove lined up).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 am
Quite aside from his third-tier PPG, keeping Parky makes sense in a few ways. He would be likely to persuade at least half a dozen of the uncontracted players to re-sign immediately, and quickly bolster that with others from elsewhere - he and Breacker seem to have a strong knowledge of lower-league players and a reasonable record at signing them. (Also, those players already at the club would be able to recommend the move to potential new signings, more honestly so than they would for a new gaffer.) There would also be continuity with club staff, preseason training etc.

But. And it’s a big but. That benefit would be short-term, and it would need a huge PR positivity followed by a very quick start to keep the (understandable) malcontents at bay.

It can be done. One of our worst ever seasons, followed by a summer in which star players were sold and the assistant manager forced to leave after a court case, ended in a 98pt title stroll. Indeed, this club has a history of what became known as bouncebackability. This, though, is probably the hardest job since the early 80s, and in some way harder. Do the fans, the players and most crucially the new owners have faith that Parky is the best candidate?
I assume that was posted in jest? Parkinson's players were a large part of what went wrong from a playing prospective.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:48 pm

I don't want Parky to stay but even his biggest critic must be able to see that there is a decent argument for keeping him on.

It'd offer stability and the prospect of a few extra players staying on for another season. As poor as many of them were last season -Alnwick, Wheater and Magennis would be a decent spine for a League 1 side.

Parky has a good record at this level and does know how to grind points out. Again, something vital given we're starting on at least minus 12.

Like I said, I hope he goes and we start afresh with a new manager, a new philosophy and a radically different style of football but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he stays.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Noooooooo (please god no).
Clean break, fresh start, and every other possible cliche under the sun.

So Oi - stop it with yer knowledge and reasoning, I've had e-bloody-nuff. Should have gone over a year ago - it's been a goddam disaster, stop it with this rose-tinted malarkey, "yes but... blah de blah" - we've been consistently shitter than shit (& that's quite shit).

As a comedic genius once said "you may stop your internal dialogue".

Ok? Good, ok. :)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:18 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:02 pm
Noooooooo (please god no).
Clean break, fresh start, and every other possible cliche under the sun.

So Oi - stop it with yer knowledge and reasoning, I've had e-bloody-nuff. Should have gone over a year ago - it's been a goddam disaster, stop it with this rose-tinted malarkey, "yes but... blah de blah" - we've been consistently shitter than shit (& that's quite shit).

As a comedic genius once said "you may stop your internal dialogue".

Ok? Good, ok. :)
Ok.

Fxck Off Parkinson.

How's that?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください