Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 pm

U21s done again because we haven't got a coach with two brain cells to rub together in the whole set up. Head and shoulders above France, cruising at 1-0 up, Choudry does what the thick feck always does and gets sent off. We play for 10 mins with child sized Foden and Madison in certain midfield. Then take off our only striker for an attaching midfielder, then take off both winners for big lump no9s, get both of them to play wide in a 4-5-0 then wonder why they get to the edge of our box at will. Boothroyd clapping them literally kicking for touch for 20 mins. What a waste.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:08 am

Wan Bissaka with quite frankly one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen.

Hugely overrated. 50M for that? Lmao, the game's gone

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Well if women want parity with the men in football they should all take a leaf out of Scotlands book. Their women have just snatched a draw from the jaws of victory. 3 up which ended 3 all after a VAR assisted twice taken penalty. Just like the men they're going home at the first stage in glorious failure :lol:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:42 am

Well, our girls won 2-0 over Japan and all credit to them, but they were less than at their best. The Japanese girls gave them a real football lesson and in the second half, ripped them to ribbons with a brilliant display of passing and moving football that, but for a dogged defensive display could have run up a big score. We had two great chances and took them but their are at least half-a-dozen really good sides in their. Less I say about V.A.R, the better.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 pm
Well if women want parity with the men in football they should all take a leaf out of Scotlands book. Their women have just snatched a draw from the jaws of victory. 3 up which ended 3 all after a VAR assisted twice taken penalty. Just like the men they're going home at the first stage in glorious failure :lol:
Blaming it on VAR and the ref that;

A/ Their goalie was off her line

B/ They let a three goal lead slip away.

Maybe Wee Jimmy Krankie will step in to see if she can get the game replayed as the result's not to her liking? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Anyone been watching the Copa America? If not - can't blame you, what with the late kick-offs - I wrote a review of Argentina's second meltdown in Brazil last night:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Zs ... sp=sharing

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 pm
U21s done again because we haven't got a coach with two brain cells to rub together in the whole set up. Head and shoulders above France, cruising at 1-0 up, Choudry does what the thick feck always does and gets sent off. We play for 10 mins with child sized Foden and Madison in certain midfield. Then take off our only striker for an attaching midfielder, then take off both winners for big lump no9s, get both of them to play wide in a 4-5-0 then wonder why they get to the edge of our box at will. Boothroyd clapping them literally kicking for touch for 20 mins. What a waste.
Another 4 goals conceded against Romania. I mean, obviously Boothroyd is a joke and only got the job because he's best mates with Dan Ashworth, but maybe our yoof just aren't that good...?

Annoying that we f*cked off the U20 World Cup only to bomb in this as well

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 pm

I find it incredible that as England have tried to reinvent themselves as a passing side, the U21s employ a guy who makes Parky look like Pep Guardiola.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:24 pm

Had a cracking bet coming thru for that game as well - under 3.5 goals. After 75 minutes, 0-0 - no problem. And then that prick gives away a penalty and all hell breaks loose lol

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Haha. Yeah the At George "system" makes sense in theory but wow. Boothroyd's grown a fringe but that's just not enough. At least buy a waistcoat.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Must be particularly galling for the youth footy anoraks who have been saying this is a golden generation.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 pm

I think they are tbf*. Just utter ineptitude through the FA in the management.

The tournaments are an oddity too. France and England probably have 5 or 6 players U21 (eligible) you'd expect to become world class and of them only Foden playing.

*Relatively speaking.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:02 pm
I think they are tbf*. Just utter ineptitude through the FA in the management.

The tournaments are an oddity too. France and England probably have 5 or 6 players U21 (eligible) you'd expect to become world class and of them only Foden playing.

*Relatively speaking.
Yeah, a lot have deservedly been fast tracked to the senior team, but a few players aside, it's a second-tier squad. We haven't got the strength in depth that many claim we have. It's just been exacerbated by Boothroyd being utterly useless.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:48 pm

So, group games over and sudden death time. If the girls can beat Camaroon tomorrow, ( We play at 4-30 and France play Brazil at 8-0'clock. )they get Norway (who beat Oz on penalties after extra time and Oz having a player sent off unfairly for a feather challenge.) Norvegs, a decent side, won fair and square though, after hitting the post and bar and having a panful of chances. Oz goalie was player of the match, a stunning display. Shame she should be on the losing side. Good entertainment tonight.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Absolute lols in the women's.

Cameroon lost it because they don't understand the offside rule. Couldn't write it.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 pm

From the bits I've seen, our women do try and play football but their passing is so wayward at times they often play themselves into trouble.

I think, like the blokes, as soon as they come up against any quality they'll be going home.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:36 pm

They're all like that though. Genuine missed trick not getting a Pulis in charge. 442 and organised would be enough. Trying to play people as a number 10 when the technique to get them the ball isn't there.

Anyway that was an absolute farce. Cameroon a shambles and a total of 16 mins added time due to all the VAR.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Anyway that was an absolute farce. Cameroon a shambles and a total of 16 mins added time due to all the VAR.
Ridiculous wasn't it? VAR decisions were spot on, up until the last two where I think the ref was too frightened to give us anything else. The injury time in both halves must be some sort of record?!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 pm
From the bits I've seen, our women do try and play football but their passing is so wayward at times they often play themselves into trouble.
I think, like the blokes, as soon as they come up against any quality they'll be going home.
I think that's a bit over harsh Harry. Camaroon were amazingly quick and full of energy and our errors were almost all a result of it. You just don't get that sort of time in football at his level, and (comic cuts and blatant fouling aside, and the 16 mins of unexplainable madness (wtf was that forearm smash on little Nikita Parris and the assault on the ref all about?) I remember a football term called "obstruction" that used to apply, now it's all in wrestling. Seems arse-charging has replaced shoulders.

We really need total concentration for the full 90 mins. Some of our football was commendable, but waiting for the ball to reach you at this level is blatantly careless. All said, none of it can have been easy in that heat in France and it was a decent win. Norway will be tougher, that's for sure.

France and Brazil in a knockout round tonight should be lively.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:36 pm

So, Brazil leave the fray courtesy of France. Strange game, could have gone either way till the back half of extra time. Henry, the French captain scored and is a pretty complete footballer, very skilled, full of energy and a ferocious tackler, gives 100 % and rarely makes a mistake (something to watch about the French side who are very strong generally). She hangs at the back edge of play for almost all set pieces and I hope Phil Nev notices that because the ball inevitably gets fired at here. Right now we need to take care and try to eliminate (and not under exaggerate) Norway. (Remember Iceland)