Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:21 am

I watched the second half. It was like watching a pub game. Couldn't string two passes together. They were getting caught in possession as frequently as Pete Doherty.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:27 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:21 am
I watched the second half. It was like watching a pub game. Couldn't string two passes together. They were getting caught in possession as frequently as Pete Doherty.
:D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:15 pm

Watched Spain and the good old U.S of A, in the knockout. Naturally the show ponies couldn't be allowed to lose and got a very debatable penalty to win it. Took seven and a half minutes to decide and even then Rapinoe had to be told three times that the purpose of a spot is to put the ball on. Why cheat for six inches? She's a terrific player but rules are for all, not just Auntie Sam and she like to stretch them a bit. ( mind you, after last night's Camerloonacy it was pretty tame.) The Yankee Doodles play France next and they are in for a real ding-dong as both have really good sides. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:23 pm

When you think about it, what a waste of time World Cup competitions are. They prove nothing the luckiest rather then the best teams usually win and despite all the technology and assisted refereeing there's nothing really fair about them. America (the size of it compared to us, for instance, is a farce. We only started competing at golf when we became Europe and not Great Britain in the Ryder Cup) Last night they won through on two penalties that were a farce, tonight Japan, who played brilliantly, lost to Netherlands from the biggest joke of a handball decision ever, and the player got a yellow card in the bargain. Deliberate handball my ass. France seemed to get all the 50-50 decisions andI won't even mention the Camerloonatics. Played out and time for a change. International internet tiddlywinks anybody?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 pm

That handball was ludicrous. Don't think that's aWWC thing though. That's European thing. Was a shambles in the champions League too. No way that was a pen tonight.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 pm
That handball was ludicrous. Don't think that's aWWC thing though. That's European thing. Was a shambles in the champions League too. No way that was a pen tonight.

I think anybody who saw it would agree without doubt; yet Japan are going home because of it. . Netherlands just bullied them all through the game and got away with it. What a farce!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Channel 4 Freeview 9, 8-0;clock kick off. England v Norway in the Women's World Cup sudden death knockout game. As ever, I'll be giving them a cheer. Come on girls.. :oyea: :oyea:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:52 pm
Channel 4 Freeview 9, 8-0;clock kick off. England v Norway in the Women's World Cup sudden death knockout game. As ever, I'll be giving them a cheer. Come on girls.. :oyea: :oyea:
My eldest son is gutted as it’s too late for him to watch on a school night! Fingers crossed they get through to the next round with an earlier KO.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
My eldest son is gutted as it’s too late for him to watch on a school night! Fingers crossed they get through to the next round with an earlier KO.
Come on G.G, there are exceptions to every rule. Give the lad a break.... :oyea:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:47 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Come on G.G, there are exceptions to every rule. Give the lad a break.... :oyea:
I would if it was Arsenal! If they get to further rounds I’ll let him stay up!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Looks like it's on B.B.C 1, not the magazine advertised B.B.C4. You'll be glad to know David Beckham popped in to see the girls before kick off. :|

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:41 pm
Looks like it's on B.B.C 1, not the magazine advertised B.B.C4. You'll be glad to know David Beckham popped in to see the girls before kick off. :|
Slightly better than Jimmy Saville having a quick 'photo opportunity' I suppose.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:09 pm

Good start for the girls!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 pm

The finish for the 3rd goal was very impressive
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Beth Meads assist. Just saying... Bring the gooner on and bam, goal number 3. 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
The Goalkeeper. Oh my :lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:17 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Beth Meads assist. Just saying... Bring the gooner on and bam, goal number 3. 8)
Haha yeah she couldn't miss!

Bronze is class tbf.

Bolton shirt in the crowd there at the end too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Bronze is class tbf.

Probably decided to watch some quality football before the season starts :wink:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:56 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Bronze is class tbf.

Looked to be a ‘Trotters’ flag behind the goal too.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Tough game and hard to judge by normal standards. The physicality in the competition has been allowed to reach a level where too much goes unpunished that is obviously foul play. 3-0 (that could have been 5 but for hitting the woodwork and missing a soft penalty) against Norway is no bad result at all. Best two teams in the comp play each other tomorrow, U.S.A and France, with us waiting for the winner. In fairness, they are both really good sides.

I wouldn't play Toni Duggan to start next up as she didn't seem to want it tonight at all. Playing for Barcelona regardless, she's a finisher and a bit of a show pony that needs others to set her up, and banging heads up front against a tough lot like Norway isn't her style. I thought it was the left side altogether that was poor, but when Duggan was substituted by Beth Mead, the Stokes girl got really better. Right side, Lucy Bronze, Jill Scott and Nikita Parris were great. Fran Kirby, a great little footballer, doesn't seem quite on the mark at the moment but Ellen White surely is.. Magic Millie, Lucy Bronze and Super Steph were class in defence and Karen Bardsley was queen of the fishing nets.

A tough game well won, so well done girls. :oyea: