Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:26 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:16 pm
The finish for the 3rd goal was very impressive
The Goalkeeper. Oh my :lol:
Davina Felgatesson
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Should be a cracker tonight, The Doodles' v the Mariannes'. Rapinoe leads the U.S well and is a tidy footballer. They were a bit fortunate in their last game but are a tough and talented side. The French captain, Amandine Henry is a class act. She looks like she should be advertising summer frocks but is a real handful in both defence and attack. She wears number 6 and is usually at the heart of everything along with Le Sommer. Reynard, primarily left sided left back/centre back, looks about 9 feet tall and has already scored with two headers from set pieces and I'm seeing a win for the homers. I reckon Italy and Germany should be the others through, but who knows? Game on..... :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:29 pm

Well, that didn't quite go to plan. I really thought the French on their own turf would see off the Yankee Doodles but...they didn't. U.S played really well and were the better side. One thing I can't get my head round; with all this A.V.R hoo-hah focus, how come a definite hand ball that the commentators stated definitely was, didn't get a review in a game as important as a World Cup quarter final? In the end it came down to a 2-1 win with one goal being scored in the first couple of minutes from a shockingly defended free kick.

The cousins across the pond are synchronised divers and know every trick in the book, and don't hesitate to use them; our girls will really have to be on the ball to beat them. We can only hope we get a good ref. ae:)

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:22 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:29 pm
We can only hope we get a good ref. ae:)
I do hope, TANGO, that your ticket and kit have arrived.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:53 am

Dujon wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:22 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:29 pm
We can only hope we get a good ref. ae:)
I do hope, TANGO, that your ticket and kit have arrived.
:lol: I wouldn't be nearly good enough Dujon. I'll be there in spirit... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Dutch all -in wrestlers go through over the Italian wimps. No contest and ref not helping but a very sad show from the Latins. Not a lover of the Netherlands me, why deny it, but didn't really care who won it. Poor game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 pm

What an unexpected (but nice) surprise; Sweden knock out Germany after being a goal down. German got 147 free kicks and 50-50 decisions but to no avail. They didn't seem happy.... :|
Us v The Yanks, Sweden v Holland are the semi-finals. Tuesday is High Noon.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Tonights the night, v the good old U.S of A in the semi final. What's the odds on the Doodles trying for half a dozen penalties? Come on Lionesses, bite some asses.... :oyea: :oyea:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 pm
Tonights the night, v the good old U.S of A in the semi final. What's the odds on the Doodles trying for half a dozen penalties? Come on Lionesses, bite some asses.... :oyea: :oyea:
Not optimistic. Reckon the yanks will beat us 2-0 but who knows?! Nice to support an England team where I don’t dislike half the players because of the clubs they usually play for!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Two superb balls into the box for the US goals. Wish we had someone (BWFC I mean) who could deliver balls into the box like that.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm
Two superb balls into the box for the US goals. Wish we had someone (BWFC I mean) who could deliver balls into the box like that.
Beth Meads delivery for ours was good too but I can’t see us winning this. If the U.S get a 3rd I reckon it’s game over.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Bad news Karen Bardsley being injured. She's the best keeper we have and I wasn't impressed with her replacement's positioning for either goal. If she'd stayed on her line she might have covered the second.That said, it ain't over yet. They are a top side with a lot of depth and we're our own worst enemies at times. Jill Scott isn't having her best night. We can but hope..Get Fran Kirby on and in the box.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:17 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:57 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:48 pm
Beth Meads delivery for ours was good too but I can’t see us winning this. If the U.S get a 3rd I reckon it’s game over.
True, though I think the US are simply a better side. Their communication too; for their girl to step over the ball like she did so it ran through to the girl who put the cross in for the first goal showed superb understanding.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Had our chances, we missed three penalties in the series, they played well tonight, we lost,
good effort. Not much more can be said. Feel really sorry for Steph Houghton missing the pen, she's been a rock. Tough on Millie Bright getting red carded because the Doodles are no angels and Morgan is a serial diver and moaner. Our discounted goal was a bit toe-end ludicrous. End of day, they have quality all over the park and their left back is class. Well done and hard luck girls,

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:10 pm

Heartbreak for England. No doubt that the U.S were the better team but what with the offside goal and penalty it was oh so close. :cry:

What I really hope it has done is raise the profile of women’s football further still in the uk. Yes, it’s never going to reach the top standards of men’s, women aren’t as fast and as strong, but until they start on a level playing field in terms of training facilities/pay/opportunities to develop when younger then we will not know how close it can get. We are only going to get a level playing field with media coverage raising the profile and the money in the game. This is inspiring a whole generation of girls (including my Jessie) and hopefully producing a new generation of young males who won’t think it hilarious to write comments on motd fb page etc about players looks or how the dishes won’t wash themselves :roll: but take the women’s game more seriously and not feel their manhoods are threatened by women being better at the game than them!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:58 pm

I actually hope women footballers get equal pay. Since no one is mad enough to pour billions into the women's game like Sky have done for men, then to achieve parity they'll have to reduce mens pay. We could afford Sanchez on loan!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:58 pm
I actually hope women footballers get equal pay. Since no one is mad enough to pour billions into the women's game like Sky have done for men, then to achieve parity they'll have to reduce mens pay. We could afford Sanchez on loan!
Harry, Harry, I know Bolton are struggling for decent players these days but surely you’re not so desperate you’d consider taking Sanchez!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:13 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Harry, Harry, I know Bolton are struggling for decent players these days but surely you’re not so desperate you’d consider taking Sanchez!
Right now we'd sign his dad. :(

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:13 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Right now we'd sign his dad. :(
Did I mention I’ve played in the FA Cup before?! Where do I sign up?!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Yeah fair feck* to them. Can't argue with the decisions on their own but I can't stand VAR. I don't think the offside rule is there to be ruled on a milimtre here or there (and in fairness I don't think our pen was a pen either). Ruins the game. Only saw the second half so no goals but they looked the better team.

Still, the women have nailed it. Semi final exit, missed a pen, red card. Equal pay for equal work.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.