The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:13 pm
Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:40 pm
I note that the Movers in Brussels have nominated a woman found guilty of "negligence by a person in position of public authority" less than three years ago as the next head of the European Central Bank.

Nothing to see here.

Macron said Lagarde's "capacities and competences... totally qualified her" for the European Central Bank.

That'll be her "negligence by a person in position of public authority" then.
Frankly, who gives a stuff what a frog thinks?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 am

Just watched that nice Rory Stewart interviewed on the tube. Educated at Dragon School, Eton College and Balliol College, he started his response to every question with the word, "So".

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:04 am
Just watched that nice Rory Stewart interviewed on the tube. Educated at Dragon School, Eton College and Balliol College, he started his response to every question with the word, "So".
So that's my biggest bugbear at the moment.
Sorry, second biggest: after being informed by the media that BoJo calls Symonds 'otter'. I really didn't need that particular seed planting.
So...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Enoch wrote:
So do I. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:27 pm
Enoch wrote:
So what?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:22 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Enoch wrote:
So what?
So fia is the capital of Bulgaria.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:51 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm
jimbo wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Enoch wrote:
So what?
So far as I know you’re correct

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:09 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:51 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Enoch wrote:
So what?
So, Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria then, is that so?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:09 pm
jimbo wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Enoch wrote:
So what?
So I’ve heard

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:12 am

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:26 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:09 pm
jimbo wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Enoch wrote:
So what?
So I’ve heard
So what :conf:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:36 am

So our potential new prime minister is offering a free vote on legalising fox hunting because it's a tradition. So were public executions you utter nice person :evil: . I'm glad he's got his priorities in order as the country faces a constitutional crisis
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:27 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:36 am
So our potential new prime minister is offering a free vote on legalising fox hunting because it's a tradition. So were public executions you utter nice person :evil: . I'm glad he's got his priorities in order as the country faces a constitutional crisis
Talk about the choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. Much like when Trump took charge of the U.S I’m staggered and slightly depressed that the best person to run our country is supposedly one of these two :conf: Can’t we stick with Teresa after all? Brexit apart (which I can’t see anyone fixing easily) she was doing ok? (For a tory).

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:27 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:36 am
Talk about the choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. Much like when Trump took charge of the U.S I’m staggered and slightly depressed that the best person to run our country is supposedly one of these two :conf: Can’t we stick with Teresa after all? Brexit apart (which I can’t see anyone fixing easily) she was doing ok? (For a tory).
No we can't stick with Theresa. You said it yourself - Brexit apart. Unfortunately Brexit isn't apart, Brexit is the main.
Remainers need to understand that until Brexit is done then this is going to get more and more toxic and more and more ridiculous. Accept the result and then you can get back to normal politics. Fight the result and you get a farce fight over who is best to deliver the result you won't accept.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:28 pm

Instead of Jess Phillips leaving her huge fat ten year old on the steps of 10 Downing Street, she might have made a better point by marching the lump of lard up and down Whitehall.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:29 pm

My former colleagues and I developed an AI program to determine a number of things. The first was to identify the shape of infrastructure with the aim of removing human editing skills (which are both expensive, and time consuming - and no, they ain't necessarily the same thing.) from the work we did.
After that we tweaked the AI to give us an indication as to when/how to improve the monitoring process to improve the already improved editing process. When that became commercially successful (about three years ago), we launched a number of 'out there' initiatives to focus on on what we could improve next. Reportage/disinformation came top of the list.
I'm no longer part of the team, having retired, but I did suggest a project my former colleagues could hone our AI on...
Thus...
They tell me quite confidently, never mind difficulties in prorogation, nor persuading reluctant Remainers, that 'our' AI gives 97.5% credence to the fact both Hunt and Johnson are lying when they say Brexit will happen by 31st October. Hunt is given a better score than Johnson by 0.25%, but basically, neither mean what they say. (And this is from an AI who can give a greater than 50% confidence for 99% of the time that outcomes will never achieve targets (merely by analysing the language used in assessing a forthcoming project)).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Is Darroch the aunt, or the brother, or the cousin of Jong-un? Was il-sung his mom, maybe? Or have I got my genders mixed up with my kims?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm

The Number One example of why Representative Democracy doesn't work... (Despite the fact that she would be my very first choice to represent everything I stand for. I get fxcking Patrick McBollocklauhglin, and Vauxhall have to put up with her... And no, they don't fxcking balance out)

https://news.sky.com/story/labours-kate ... n-11758924
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:12 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:35 pm
The "Derby North Bad Man" no less.

Absolute shambles.
Rock and a hard place today for the Labour NEC. The form book says they'll shoot themselves in the foot, only question really is which one.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:37 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm
The Number One example of why Representative Democracy doesn't work... (Despite the fact that she would be my very first choice to represent everything I stand for. I get fxcking Patrick McBollocklauhglin, and Vauxhall have to put up with her... And no, they don't fxcking balance out)

Pro guns, pro fox hunting, anti abortion and a patchy record voting on gay rights? Not sure I can think of a politician who’s beliefs are more of a polar opposite of my own!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:26 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:37 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Pro guns, pro fox hunting, anti abortion and a patchy record voting on gay rights? Not sure I can think of a politician who’s beliefs are more of a polar opposite of my own!
I think I poorly expressed what I meant. I meant in a Representative Democracy, wherein the elected one is free to express their views on 'your' behalf, I'd prefer a Radical Kate Hoey to a neuter Patrick McLaughlin. I can't stand either of their personal views, which is why Representative Democracy doesn't work - which I'd thought I'd made plain.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください