Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
15%

Total votes: 39

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Glad to see there was nothing much to miss there.
It was certainly a day for going to the wire.

Quality final. Two great champions.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am

Undoubtedly so, though I've never been able to warm to Djokovic. I think he's probably the one who is the best of all time, but feel nowhere near the investment as with Federer or particularly for me Rafa.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am
Undoubtedly so, though I've never been able to warm to Djokovic. I think he's probably the one who is the best of all time, but feel nowhere near the investment as with Federer or particularly for me Rafa.
This best of all time strikes me as a bit over the top (and you said earlier the best 3-5 of all time are still playing). The joker is possibly the greatest player of his generation, but I wonder how he would do with a wooden racket, catgut strings and plimsolls against a Rod Laver, definitely the greatest player of his generation. I don't think you can compare different generations in any meaningful way.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:10 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am
This best of all time strikes me as a bit over the top (and you said earlier the best 3-5 of all time are still playing). The joker is possibly the greatest player of his generation, but I wonder how he would do with a wooden racket, catgut strings and plimsolls against a Rod Laver, definitely the greatest player of his generation. I don't think you can compare different generations in any meaningful way.
I totally agree Monty. In any sport you cannot possibly compare across generations. It's especially unmeaningful when technology plays a hand, as it undoubtedly does in tennis.
I remember the visceral arguments that used to take place between two of my uncles as to who, between Cassius Clay/Mohammed Ali and Rocky Marciano, was the undoubtedly best heavyweight champeen of ze world ever. And there was no technological advantage even...! Just different generations who never met. It's impossible to tell, and therefore utterly totally meaningless to say that any percentage of today's top players are all-time best - that's just bollox.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 pm

You certainly can't come up with a definitive unarguable answer but you can definitively have the conversation. It certainly is not "just bollox".

It seems a particularly odd line to take as well on a football forum. No room for qualitative, subjective bar-room type debate here!

I think Djokovic probably is the best tennis player of all time. I also think he almost certainly isn't the most loved or lovable. So ner.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 pm
You certainly can't come up with a definitive unarguable answer but you can definitively have the conversation. It certainly is not "just bollox".

It seems a particularly odd line to take as well on a football forum. No room for qualitative, subjective bar-room type debate here!

I think Djokovic probably is the best tennis player of all time. I also think he almost certainly isn't the most loved or lovable. So ner.
Well Mr sensitive, did I deny you room to develop an argument? By stating something is "just bollox" doesn't stop an argument dead, as you've just proved, so why get precious about it?
My argument is that it's absolutely impossible to prove across generations who is better at whatever - it's not even a particularly pretentious or controversial or right-wing or 'anythingyouinparticularhateism' view for fxck sake. Obviously upset you though. So ner to you.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:02 pm

I mean, you've taken what I said and you've run with it, for sure.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:02 pm
I mean, you've taken what I said and you've run with it, for sure.
I'm glad we agree.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 pm

He wasn't even the best player in Wimbledon yesterday! He's a cracker, undoubtedly but behind Federer & Sampras (also quite unloveable) for me.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Bollox or no, there is no debate as to who was the greatest tennis player of all time.

Here.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Go on Andy lad! He almost certainly won't get back close to where he was, but to win an ATP final against a proper top 10 player in Wawrinka 9 months after hip surgery is yet another phenomenal achievement.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:30 pm

The tennis is on!

Incredible stuff from Raducanu, into the last 16. Norrie currently 2 sets to 1 down against Fed.

Murray out but earns all the plaudits he gets for his efforts this year.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 am

Raducanu now laying waste to allcomers at the US Open. Her last 32 match was ridiculous. Plays in the round of 16 against a fellow unseeded opponent today.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:36 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 am
Raducanu now laying waste to allcomers at the US Open. Her last 32 match was ridiculous. Plays in the round of 16 against a fellow unseeded opponent today.
Amazing for someone so young. Go girl... :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:36 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:54 am
Amazing for someone so young. Go girl... :pray:
Indeed. Given how the match is going at the minute...we might have something quite special in GB tennis.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Into the semis! Amazing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:41 pm
Into the semis! Amazing.
It is amazing. Imagine winning it as an 18 year old she'd never have the 'getting over the line pressure' so many tennis stars and British ones in particular have to deal with. She'd be able to probably go from there and win loads with still lots of, but definitely less, pressure.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:02 am

I know what you're saying, but she already *has* had that after Wimbledon!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 am

It is amazing. Imagine winning it as an 18 year old she'd never have the 'getting over the line pressure' so many tennis stars and British ones in particular have to deal with. She'd be able to probably go from there and win loads with still lots of, but definitely less, pressure.
And, despite basically being a sixth form schoolgirl, being singled out as a 'bottler' by a wanker like Piers Morgan.

Even if she goes out in the semis she'll still pick up £480K, which, I imagine, is a feck site more than that gobshite's earned recently.

Listening to Virginia Wade yesterday who's convinced she'll be amongst the world's elite players. Praise indeed.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 am

And, despite basically being a sixth form schoolgirl, being singled out as a 'bottler' by a wanker like Piers Morgan.

Even if she goes out in the semis she'll still pick up £480K, which, I imagine, is a feck site more than that gobshite's earned recently.

Listening to Virginia Wade yesterday who's convinced she'll be amongst the world's elite players. Praise indeed.
I had the misfortune of clicking on a story about Jos Buttler saying he won't go to the Ashes if his family aren't allowed in. And mistakenly in a moment of weakness reading the comments after the top one was a reasonable 'fair enough neither would I'. Only to be confronted by a page full of Piers' Morgans calling Jos and Ben Stokes 'weak and losers and not fit to represent England'. And I wondered how many of these would be prepared to now be away from home for months on end not just touring but also for home series in the bubbles, unable to see their families - and how many of their families would have the capacity to manage that?

Its all very well saying it but another when you've just had a baby and could be touring for 3 or 4 months with your family left behind especially on the back of 2 years they've spent lots of time away from them too.