Who Are The League One Managers? No.4: Phil Parkinson

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Vital Lincoln City
Hopeful
Hopeful

Who Are The League One Managers? No.4: Phil Parkinson

Post by Vital Lincoln City » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 am

Bolton manager Phil Parkinson has a unique claim to fame: he is the only manager to take a side from the English fourth tier to the Wembley final of a major cup competition. He has also won nine Manager of the Month awards and received the LMA Special Merit award in 2013. He also holds the UEFA Pro Licence. Given that record, it is easy to forget he also made almost 600 appearances as a player.

https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/who ... wanderers/

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who Are The League One Managers? No.4: Phil Parkinson

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Vital Lincoln City wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 am
Bolton manager Phil Parkinson has a unique claim to fame: he is the only manager to take a side from the English fourth tier to the Wembley final of a major cup competition. He has also won nine Manager of the Month awards and received the LMA Special Merit award in 2013. He also holds the UEFA Pro Licence. Given that record, it is easy to forget he also made almost 600 appearances as a player.

Unfortunately it's also easy to forget that he's in charge of a team that's meant to entertain us. It's very easy to remember going to any game when he's been in charge, and not actually enjoying the experience.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Unfortunately it's also easy to forget that he's in charge of a team that's meant to entertain us. It's very easy to remember going to any game when he's been in charge, and not actually enjoying the experience.
As I've said many times, Spotto - the fact that I've paid to see a game is no longer the deciding factor as to whether or not I attend. In fact, it's probably in third place now behind a combination of 'if you think I'm turning out in this to watch that shite' ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:44 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:04 pm

As I've said many times, Spotto - the fact that I've paid to see a game is no longer the deciding factor as to whether or not I attend. In fact, it's probably in third place now behind a combination of 'if you think I'm turning out in this to watch that shite' ;)
Here I count myself among the lucky ones. Every trip to a Wanderers game gives little credence to weather forecast or league position, just is the bar open and what time does it close.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 am

And certainly NOT "has the last train gone?".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 am
:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 am
Prufrock wrote:
Somehow (don't ask) this reminds me of a journey to Blackpool made by forum member General Mannerheim in which,if memory serves, in an inebriated state (presumably), he bought a thimble and a tie and sent himself a postcard home to prove he'd been to Blackpool. Legend... :lol: :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:51 pm
Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:41 am
Prufrock wrote:
Somehow (don't ask) this reminds me of a journey to Blackpool made by forum member General Mannerheim in which,if memory serves, in an inebriated state (presumably), he bought a thimble and a tie and sent himself a postcard home to prove he'd been to Blackpool. Legend... :lol: :lol:
Someone did once tell the most splendid of tales about blagging their way in to the game when we played Blackpool away in the Freight Rover semi (or some-such) in Standard Liege blazers, they were mistaken for scouts. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 am

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 am
And now the summary is live:
https://lincoln.vitalfootball.co.uk/who ... s-summary/
Good work: another well-researched and well-written feature. I’m a professional journalist and while not everyone here will agree with your previous Parkinson piece, because he tends to provoke strong emotions, none should deny that it’s one of the most thorough and thoughtful pieces produced on Parky, especially given the unexpected source. Hats off.