Golf. 2019 Open Championship.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Golf. 2019 Open Championship.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm

What a very cruel game golf is. I speak as an authority and from experience. Two of the "Masters" (Rory and Tiger Woods) trailing 7 and 8 over par after day one.... but I never laugh (unless it's Phil Mikelsen that is) or call them bottlers because I've had the pain of the game's utmost humiliations . Just when you think you've cracked it you're suddenly less Ken Brown and more Mrs Brown and the "swing" disappears into a roundabout almost overnight. Memories of a super drive fade rapidly against a three putt and lost/plugged balls won't do as an excuse on a score card, neither will out of bounds or a 200 yard slice across three fairways . It's cruel I tell you..., fiendishly cruel.

That rough at Portrush is the stuff of nighmares, so anybody in there has my deepest sympathy, more so because they're professionals. Not sure who we're going to cheer as home talent, Rose, Fleetwood etc, but the competition is almost frightening. I doubt if the home-boy will be getting the big cheers after that first round. Good luck to em all, they'll need it. Jon Rahm needs watching as a serious candidate.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Golf. 2019 Open Championship.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm
I doubt if the home-boy will be getting the big cheers after that first round.
Don't write Mcllroy off just yet; he's closing in on the cut. Long way for him to go but he's making a fist of it (wait til you see his 2nd on 11)

Regarding our lot, Westwood's level with Fleetwood on -7, so he's doing well too.

Hope Shane Lowry can keep it up but he did play a few nervy shots towards the end of his round.

So long as it's not Speith or Reed, objectionable pricks!
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:03 pm
I doubt if the home-boy will be getting the big cheers after that first round.
Don't write Mcllroy off just yet; he's closing in on the cut. Long way for him to go but he's making a fist of it (wait til you see his 2nd on 11)

Regarding our lot, Westwood's level with Fleetwood on -7, so he's doing well too.

Hope Shane Lowry can keep it up but he did play a few nervy shots towards the end of his round.

So long as it's not Speith or Reed, objectionable pricks!
All news to me as I've not kept up today; I've been out most of it. I'll be catching up with it all at 8-30. Good to hear McIlroy is moving on.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:19 pm
All news to me as I've not kept up today; I've been out most of it. I'll be catching up with it all at 8-30. Good to hear McIlroy is moving on.
Great day's play. I'll be watching the highlights too to see what I missed earlier.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Don't write Mcllroy off just yet
I wrote him off a good few year ago. Can't stand folk that lack humility.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Don't write Mcllroy off just yet
I wrote him off a good few year ago. Can't stand folk that lack humility.
Me neither. It was dreadful to see how much time he spent having photos taken and him signing anything for everybody who asked on the Par 3 day at Augusta in 2011, only for the miserable c*nt to do it all over again a year later. Fancy him foisting the cashmere sweater he'd just finished his round in upon 'Crayons' at Liverpool in 2014. I bet that's put paid to him ever looking after the locker room again. It's appalling, the humility he lacks. ;)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Each to their own.

:)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 pm

Well, my cap's firmly doffed to Rory Mc for that magnificent round. To miss the cut after that defies description surely to a top pro. If he'd only finished evens yesterday (and he's far,far better than that), he'd have been right in there at the end today....

So, with two days to go I wouldn't be brave enough to predict a winner. Hopes high for our home boys and Irish, but this is golf so....Can Tommy Fleetwood, Lee Westwood or Justin Rose or whoever, hold it together for two rounds and keep the invades at bay? So many big names going home and not a real clue what'll happen. Just bring it on and hope..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Great Round Three of The Open and also great to see a few Brits in there ahead of the cousins - to take no credit away from homer Irishman Mr Lowry who's showing them all how it's done right now- Lee Westwood didn't play at all badly, a couple of human errors, a penalty shot and just a few putts didn't that drop, and he might still figure in there, likewise Justin Rose. Tommy Fleetwood is holding up well in the pressure pot although four shots behind at the start tomorrow. He can do it. . Real ding-dong stuff most of the day between Holmes and Lowry. You can't talk a game of golf (the one sport above all others that this applies to) so anything can happen (as it usually does). Tomorrow should be entertaining...and then there's always the weather... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:39 pm

Irishman wins the British Open Championship in Ireland. Who could have written a better script? Lowry just never lost his nerve or let it slip; after that it was just who would be second. A good old English lad in Tommy Fleetwood answeed that. Great golf.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:08 pm

Or one might say, Irishman wins The Open Championship in Ulster.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:08 pm
Or one might say, an Irishman wins The Open Championship in Ulster.
Indeed one might, in which case it was an Irishman from the Republic who won the British Open Golf Championship in Northern Ireland. (My dad, (R.I.P) who was Irish, would have maintained that anyway, as will anyone from the four provinces tomorrow..oh, and half a million third generation American Irish since they didn't win it themselves) I'll settle for Well done Mr Lowry, the Claret Jug stays in the Emerald Isle.!" :wink:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm
British Open Golf Championship
:shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm
British Open Golf Championship
:shock:
Okay: The Open....."Often referred to as" ^^.....
(First 33 years of its life it was actually played in Scotland....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_O ... biguation)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 pm
"Often referred to as" ^^.....
Not by me it ain't!

I doubt you'd be overly impressed if folk started referring to Horwich Wanderers, Milonga.

:wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:58 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Not by me it ain't!

I doubt you'd be overly impressed if folk started referring to Horwich Wanderers, Milonga.

:lol: It's so important that we don't even see it on terrestial TV in its home country....

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:18 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:58 pm
Enoch wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:49 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Not by me it ain't!

:lol: It's so important that we don't even see it on terrestial TV in its home country....

:D

I can live with that. I'm quite happy listening to 5 Live whilst doing other things but I can be a tad anal around a proper noun.