On yer bike!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: On yer bike!

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:13 pm
jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:06 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:55 pm
jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:26 pm
Yeah, there’s ice vests that riders can use as well. Teams are pretty clued up as to how to try to keep cool but when it’s touching 40 degrees there’s only so much you can do.

I went out for 3 hrs yesterday lunch time and was absolutely melting. Think I’ll be waiting til it cools down a bit before I next go out.
Yeh, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for having a bike race in forty degrees going up a mountain. But, I'll be pissed off if they just cut out the remaining mountain stages...
I think today is supposed to be the last of the really hot days, so the next few days should be safe!

There’s other things within the power of the commissaires as well, such as relaxing the time limit. This would allow the grupetto to take a more relaxed pace and not affect the racing at the pointy end.
What? Is that the difference between staying in the race the next day or being eliminated, depending on how far behind the winner you are on the stage?
Yes, I'd prefer that.
Yeah, there’s a time cut each day, calculated as a proportion of the stage winners time. Its a little more relaxed on mountain days, and tighter on flat days. Can’t remember the exact formula used off the top of my head. Anyone who finishes outside of the time limit will be eliminated in theory (there have been cases in the past where about 50 riders have missed it, and the organisers have kept them in). Often on the big multi col days the sprinters and heavier guys will go just as deep as the GC guys fighting for the stage win merely to make the time cut. Last year a succession of hard days did for pretty much all the sprinters in this way. Relaxing it in the heat is sensible imo.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:40 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:33 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:13 pm
jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:06 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:55 pm
jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:26 pm
Yeah, there’s ice vests that riders can use as well. Teams are pretty clued up as to how to try to keep cool but when it’s touching 40 degrees there’s only so much you can do.

I went out for 3 hrs yesterday lunch time and was absolutely melting. Think I’ll be waiting til it cools down a bit before I next go out.
Yeh, don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing for having a bike race in forty degrees going up a mountain. But, I'll be pissed off if they just cut out the remaining mountain stages...
I think today is supposed to be the last of the really hot days, so the next few days should be safe!

There’s other things within the power of the commissaires as well, such as relaxing the time limit. This would allow the grupetto to take a more relaxed pace and not affect the racing at the pointy end.
What? Is that the difference between staying in the race the next day or being eliminated, depending on how far behind the winner you are on the stage?
Yes, I'd prefer that.
Yeah, there’s a time cut each day, calculated as a proportion of the stage winners time. Its a little more relaxed on mountain days, and tighter on flat days. Can’t remember the exact formula used off the top of my head. Anyone who finishes outside of the time limit will be eliminated in theory (there have been cases in the past where about 50 riders have missed it, and the organisers have kept them in). Often on the big multi col days the sprinters and heavier guys will go just as deep as the GC guys fighting for the stage win merely to make the time cut. Last year a succession of hard days did for pretty much all the sprinters in this way. Relaxing it in the heat is sensible imo.
Sounds like a sensible formula. Much much much preferable than cutting stages, which I think Sagan was suggesting (and him being green jersey would obviously have been preferential to his style of racing, but devastating for the polka dot hopefuls and the neutrals amongst us spectators).

But as you say, it's cooling down anyway...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Well Jimbo, you called that one right. Imlach reporting that the time difference will be from front of Peleton and not stage winner, for elimination today. :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Be interesting to see the whole spat between Martin and Rowe.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:21 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:17 pm
Be interesting to see the whole spat between Martin and Rowe.
Yes. Just before it was reported that he was expelled, he (Rowe) gave a really laid back, "nothing to see here, handbags at dawn, we shook hands at the end" interview - too chilled to be honest.
I reckon at lot more must have gone on than the brief two second video of sharp elbows we've seen so far...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 pm

Inner Ring have tweeted a longer video of it. Sounds like there was some niggle for a while between the two teams, then Martin cut across Rowe a few times. As they dropped back a little Rowe swung an arm at Martin. All handbags, but there’s precedent there from recent years with Moscon last year, Brambilla before him.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:38 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:31 pm
Inner Ring have tweeted a longer video of it. Sounds like there was some niggle for a while between the two teams, then Martin cut across Rowe a few times. As they dropped back a little Rowe swung an arm at Martin. All handbags, but there’s precedent there from recent years with Moscon last year, Brambilla before him.
Sounds a bit harsh to expel them then! (not seen the longer video, yet).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Lowe was certainly contrite after the expulsion. No suggestion he felt hard done by.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 am

My favourite bit of the Tour starts today: the Alps.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:24 am

What a great start to the day!

Punishing work rate and they haven't even started the hard graft yet.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 pm

Interesting to see Van Baarle in the break. Plan likely to use him in the valley stretch between Izoard and Gallibier and he’ll be a big engine to have. By that point Allaphilipe’s support will likely have evaporated.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 pm
Interesting to see Van Baarle in the break. Plan likely to use him in the valley stretch between Izoard and Gallibier and he’ll be a big engine to have. By that point Allaphilipe’s support will likely have evaporated.
Do you think Alaphillipe will lose yellow today?
I've a feeling he'll keep it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 pm
jimbo wrote:
Fairly confident he’ll lose it today. Also that when he does he’ll blow spectacularly like Yates in the giro last year. He won’t finish the race in the top 15 IMO. He’s done really well to hold it this long though, and has gone beyond everyone’s expectations but I feel the next 3 days will be too much. It depends how well he rides to limit his losses, rather than hanging with the GC group until his legs pop.

Prediction for today is a fast pace on the izoard to leave him isolated. I think he’ll be dropped near the top and then lack the support to help pull him back on the valley road that follows.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:32 pm

It'll be a bit warm down there today for riding a push iron in, won't it?! :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Fairly confident he’ll lose it today. Also that when he does he’ll blow spectacularly like Yates in the giro last year. He won’t finish the race in the top 15 IMO. He’s done really well to hold it this long though, and has gone beyond everyone’s expectations but I feel the next 3 days will be too much. It depends how well he rides to limit his losses, rather than hanging with the GC group until his legs pop.

Prediction for today is a fast pace on the izoard to leave him isolated. I think he’ll be dropped near the top and then lack the support to help pull him back on the valley road that follows.
.... and his best chance to keep the jersey would be to hold on over the Izoard, then ride his own tempo up the galibier to limit his losses. He could maybe then make up 30s on the descent. It’ll be interesting how much he’s bought into being a GC rider these last couple of weeks as riding like that is the complete opposite of his usual flamboyant style.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm
jimbo wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:

.... and his best chance to keep the jersey would be to hold on over the Izoard, then ride his own tempo up the galibier to limit his losses. He could maybe then make up 30s on the descent. It’ll be interesting how much he’s bought into being a GC rider these last couple of weeks as riding like that is the complete opposite of his usual flamboyant style.
Mentally I think he's got it in him. I loved the eyebrows piss take when Macron barged into the limelight after the Pyrenean stage especially.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:13 pm
jimbo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm
jimbo wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
jimbo wrote:

Mentally I think he's got it in him. I loved the eyebrows piss take when Macron barged into the limelight after the Pyrenean stage especially.
It’s more to do with the fact he’ll have to rein in all of his natural instincts. He’s a proper racer, and would usually be aggressively chasing down everything and attacking at every opportunity. To win here he’ll have to pretty much ride to his own power much like Dumoulin or Froome. It’s a bit like trying to make a hyperactive child sit down and concentrate on doing some work while all their friends are playing around them.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:51 pm

Why the fxck spectators feel the need to slap the cyclists on the arse on an ascent I have no idea. I doubt it helps...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:57 pm

Alaphillipe attacks on the descent! Yeeeeees
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:59 pm

He’s a class and fearless descender. Could be a good chance to take 20 seconds for him here. Not sure Thomas was really helping Bernal near the top but never mind. Obvs both riding for themselves.