On yer bike!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: On yer bike!

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:23 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:01 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:52 pm
jimbo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:48 pm
Crazy end to the stage today. Following from afar as I’m at work but lots of thoughts about it. Will share them later. Seems potentially a very unsatisfactory way to end it, but not sure what other options they had. No option other than stopping the stage obviously but installing a retrospective finish line that no one was racing towards leads to all sorts of unfairness.
Especially when it comes to betting. My local Ladbrokes looking up the rules to confirm for me in writing the bad news for tomorrow...
I guess bookies will have to act as per the official results, so accept the GC changes from today but refund any bets on the stage winner as that was neutralised.

I think everyone will make a case of being hard done to today - Bernal will feel he could have taken more time on the last climb, Other GC guys likely wouldn’t have let him go if they knew where the finish was going to be, Thomas will be infuriated at letting his teammate ride towards the win.

Ultimately there’s not much you can do if a landslide happens and blocks the road. I also don’t think there’s a satisfactory way of resolving the race results issue.
Apparently the road was passable though...
I understand 'acts of God' and all that, but nonsensical 'acts of 'elf'n'safety' are another matter entirely. French TV and Dutch Twitter fans reporting that the digger driver clearing the road refused to continue if a bike race was approaching: why, only he knows?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Have you seen the pics? Doesn’t look remotely passable. Also if there’s been one landslide there’s high risk of others risking the safety of the support vehicles and riders. No choice other than neutralising it imo.

Only precedent I can think of is a Milan San Remo (it was the year Ciolek won, 2013 or 14) where it was hideously cold, snowing and grim over the Turchino pass. They neutralised the race, everyone got on the buses, drove up the road and resumed the race 50km or so further on where the weather was better. Not sure that would have been possible here as there’s hardly easy short cuts or alternative routes in the alps

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:31 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:29 pm
Have you seen the pics? Doesn’t look remotely passable. Also if there’s been one landslide there’s high risk of others risking the safety of the support vehicles and riders. No choice other than neutralising it imo.

Only precedent I can think of is a Milan San Remo (it was the year Ciolek won, 2013 or 14) where it was hideously cold, snowing and grim over the Turchino pass. They neutralised the race, everyone got on the buses, drove up the road and resumed the race 50km or so further on where the weather was better. Not sure that would have been possible here as there’s hardly easy short cuts or alternative routes in the alps
No, not seen the pics. If the road was impassable fairy'nuff.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:38 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:31 pm
jimbo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:29 pm

No, not seen the pics. If the road was impassable fairy'nuff.
However, once again some Dutch fans posting photos and claiming the road was clear. The photos I've seen now seem to confirm that, including the road after the digger driver had shoved all the shite to one side at least thirty minutes before the circus was due through, which looks at least as wide as you usually get when the fans crowd in... :conf:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:38 pm

https://twitter.com/eurosport_uk/status ... 64325?s=21

Nice video of it coming down with the lead cars right there. Shows how close to the front of the race it was. Lucky escape really.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:41 pm

https://twitter.com/trondiversen/status ... 71232?s=21

This is a better link. Even when clear, the worry would be regarding fresh slides.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 pm

jimbo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:41 pm
https://twitter.com/trondiversen/status ... 71232?s=21

This is a better link. Even when clear, the worry would be regarding fresh slides.
I'm not disputing there was a landslide. And the video is impressive. But it was cleared up before the riders got there.
I'm merely disagreeing as to how dangerous it was. I think they should have carried on.

In the end though they didn't. I think it has spoilt the Tour a bit. Not ruined it, just spoilt it. And I'm not arguing against your point of view, I can understand where you're coming from. I disagree is all :evil:

But hey, we've still got two days left... 8)
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 pm
I think they should have carried on.

I would have enjoyed watching you ride your bike through that mud.

:lol:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:43 pm

A local bloke from Matlock, who I see quite often practising on his penny farthing (he's an amazing sight going up Taddington bypass), has just broken a record set in 1886, Land's End to John o' Groats: 4 days 12 hours... The nutter.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:06 pm

Tour de France / Yesterday's commisairs decision did not affect my bet, but today's modified route annuls the bet. I get my money back (on one portion) :|
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:34 pm

What has been a fantastic race, lit up by Alaphilippe's efforts, sadly for me disappointed today.

For three weeks folk have speculated about Kruijswijk and Buchmann but not an attack between them. Circumstance meant the day was set up for a stab at glory yet they both contented themselves with what they already had. Pity, just hoped for more.

Hats off to Thomas, did for Bernal what Froome had previously done for him and with the same good grace.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:21 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:34 pm
What has been a fantastic race, lit up by Alaphilippe's efforts, sadly for me disappointed today.

For three weeks folk have speculated about Kruijswijk and Buchmann but not an attack between them. Circumstance meant the day was set up for a stab at glory yet they both contented themselves with what they already had. Pity, just hoped for more.

Hats off to Thomas, did for Bernal what Froome had previously done for him and with the same good grace.
It’s often the case in the Tour. Given its profile riders are often satisfied to defend a position in the top 10 rather than risk it for something better, which often leads to more negative racing. Jumbo this morning will have had shifting Allaphillipe and making the podium their main aim. They set a fierce early tempo which did that. They’ll be more than happy with 4 stage wins and a podium. Likewise, Bora will be delighted with 4th overall, a stage win and the green jersey.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 pm

I'm a great believer in folk floating whatever boat suit them (As a dance loving, amatuer painter, Jane Austen afficionado and Bolton Wanderers supporter, I would be 8) ) but find it a bit odd that some major sporting events don't get televised unless you're in the robber baron's viewing club, yet the Tour de Gallic Shruggers paint-driers Pedal Association gets FIVE hours terrestrial T.V coverage on a Sunday afternoon! :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 pm
I'm a great believer in folk floating whatever boat suit them (As a dance loving, amatuer painter, Jane Austen afficionado and Bolton Wanderers supporter, I would be 8) ) but find it a bit odd that some major sporting events don't get televised unless you're in the robber baron's viewing club, yet the Tour de Gallic Shruggers paint-driers Pedal Association gets FIVE hours terrestrial T.V coverage on a Sunday afternoon! :shock:
Money talks, Tango.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:16 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:09 pm
Money talks, Tango.
Stranger still when one remembers for nine years the thing was dominated by Team Sky.