creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:39 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 pm
Apparently Root is going to bat at 3, with Denly at 4. Must say that is a bit beyond me.
The fact Denly is playing at all is beyond me.
Me too. Has Sam Curran got in?
He's in the squad widely expected to miss out though.

Broad, Anderson, Woakes/Archer/Curran/Stone, Stokes - I assume will be the pace attack.

So you've one from Woakes, Archer, Curran and Stone.....

That assumes Broad gets a place which after the Ireland game is a fair assumption. And assumes we don't pick 4 out and out fast bowlers - which we could but leaves a vulnerable batting line up looking even less solid.

Woakes was brilliant against Ireland and Edgbaston is his home ground - but Archer has something different to add in. You've got to say that Jimmy/Broad/Woakes and Stokes in the right conditions are unplayable. On a hot opening day and a flat pitch you'd want Archer for the pace and bounce...
I look at 14 and say "who could I live without" - and I come up with more than 3. But, I think we could lose Curran, Stone and Denly.

That would leave...Burns, Roy, Root, Bairstow - then I got stuck - so I figured Denly has to play...then I figure maybe Curran has to play coz he might get a few runs Denly won't.

So I end up with

Burns, Roy, Denley, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Curran, Anderson, Archer, (Woakes / Broad / Ali) for last place with my pick going to Woakes..without Wood, I don't think there's much doubt I'd play Archer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 pm

I have Sam Curran down as being the future of English cricket. I think he's already a more than capable test cricketer who'll only go on to get better, unless he's left out, of course.

He was an absolute joy to watch down at Edgbaston against India last year.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 pm
I have Sam Curran down as being the future of English cricket. I think he's already a more than capable test cricketer who'll only go on to get better, unless he's left out, of course.

He was an absolute joy to watch down at Edgbaston against India last year.
I think he's good and future I think is a decent word. I'm not fully convinced he's ready for an Ashes series - think he's susceptible to quicker bowling - got a "high" of 17 runs against Windies. (but then again as I said, I looked at the 14 and there's a good few others I'm not sure about either.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:54 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:39 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:31 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:29 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:53 pm
Apparently Root is going to bat at 3, with Denly at 4. Must say that is a bit beyond me.
The fact Denly is playing at all is beyond me.
Me too. Has Sam Curran got in?
He's in the squad widely expected to miss out though.

Broad, Anderson, Woakes/Archer/Curran/Stone, Stokes - I assume will be the pace attack.

So you've one from Woakes, Archer, Curran and Stone.....

That assumes Broad gets a place which after the Ireland game is a fair assumption. And assumes we don't pick 4 out and out fast bowlers - which we could but leaves a vulnerable batting line up looking even less solid.

Woakes was brilliant against Ireland and Edgbaston is his home ground - but Archer has something different to add in. You've got to say that Jimmy/Broad/Woakes and Stokes in the right conditions are unplayable. On a hot opening day and a flat pitch you'd want Archer for the pace and bounce...
I look at 14 and say "who could I live without" - and I come up with more than 3. But, I think we could lose Curran, Stone and Denly.

That would leave...Burns, Roy, Root, Bairstow - then I got stuck - so I figured Denly has to play...then I figure maybe Curran has to play coz he might get a few runs Denly won't.

So I end up with

Burns, Roy, Denley, Root, Bairstow, Stokes, Curran, Anderson, Archer, (Woakes / Broad / Ali) for last place with my pick going to Woakes..without Wood, I don't think there's much doubt I'd play Archer.
Can't see us not picking a spinner. And Ali for all his limitations has a knack of wickets....though you are a man short I think.

For me...(given the squad we've picked)

Burns, Roy, Root, Buttler, Bairstow, Stokes, Curran/Woakes, Ali, Broad, Archer, Anderson....

That for me. Buttler plays - IMO - and whoever keeps bats at 5 - I'm assuming Bairstow. Curran or Woakes is down to situation. I think Curran better with bat, Woakes with ball...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm

As a slight aside, I got offered a ticket and an overnight for Friday - I'm only away with my brothers and their kids this weekend aren't I?!.

Never been to an Ashes game. Absolute pisser.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:19 pm

I missed Buttler - that's why I was struggling to get it to add up! :-)

I was sat down towards fine leg, when Warne got Gatting at OT as it was Club cricketers day (Friday) with "the ball of the century"...Sometimes you miss them as you're chatting away, with your mates having a beer. I happened to be full on concentrating at that point and still had to ask "WTF just happened there?"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:12 pm
As a slight aside, I got offered a ticket and an overnight for Friday - I'm only away with my brothers and their kids this weekend aren't I?!.

Never been to an Ashes game. Absolute pisser.
Oh for those corporate days of yore.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm

If anyone can get BBC Radio London on t'internet, Kent are just about to chase 54 off 7 overs in a rain affected Vitality Blast Match.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:50 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm
If anyone can get BBC Radio London on t'internet, Kent are just about to chase 54 off 7 overs in a rain affected Vitality Blast Match.

Too late!

Mohammad Nabi stripes 43 off 12 balls and Kent win with 3 overs to spare in a 7 over match.

Kent top of the southern section, Lancashire top of the Northern section, bring it on. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Perish the thought for I love him dearly as a class act, but is Jimmy A fully recovered from that "low grade muscle tear" he picked up a couple of weeks ago? Was that in the selectors' minds when picking the squad? Maybe I'd hold Archer back till we see what we see when we light the bonfire. Just a thought.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Noise seems to be Jimmy is ok. They said he could've played against Ireland. Hope he's fine. They sound more worried about Archer for the first game. Though he did an interview where he said he thinks red ball suits him more which is...ominous.

It's hard to see many big scores. We're trying to fit Jimmy, Broad, Archer, Stokes, Woakes and Curran in. And at the other end there are rumours fecking Starc might not get in for them.

I'd be edgy about 4th day tickets, never mind 5th. And I wouldn't be booking an evening train home on the 3rd.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:05 am

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:50 pm
Too late!

Mohammad Nabi stripes 43 off 12 balls and Kent win with 3 overs to spare in a 7 over match.

For those that like watching the odd six.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:55 pm

Archer out of team - that's narrowed it down a bit...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:55 pm
Archer out of team - that's narrowed it down a bit...
Well and because they named the team...

Rory Burns, Jason Roy, Joe Root, Joe Denly, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, James Anderson

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Uneasy with Burns' selection. Baffled by Denly's.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm
Me too - but as others have said there ain't a lot out there. From the 14, one was always going to play and it probably had to be Burns. With Archer not being played and Stone likely to be "back-up" for the bowlers, then you only really have a choice between Denley and Curran, if you're going to play a spinner.

Given that choice, they probably figured an extra batsman was > extra all rounder...I'm not so sure given that choice I wouldn't have risked Curran as I'm not convinced it's not a "nowt to lose" pick...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:40 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:31 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm
Me too - but as others have said there ain't a lot out there. From the 14, one was always going to play and it probably had to be Burns. With Archer not being played and Stone likely to be "back-up" for the bowlers, then you only really have a choice between Denley and Curran, if you're going to play a spinner.

Given that choice, they probably figured an extra batsman was > extra all rounder...I'm not so sure given that choice I wouldn't have risked Curran as I'm not convinced it's not a "nowt to lose" pick...
Think I may even have considered playing Curran instead of Ali.

Anyway, it is what it is. As always, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong by those I wouldn't have picked :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:42 pm

Aye, Curran also seems to have that ability to step up and dig in with the bat when it counts (much like Stokes). Kind of the anti-Moeen. Would've been a risk to only play 5 batsmen plus Bairstow but as Worthy says, not convinced there's anything to lose.

Cannot get my head around Denly batting at 4 though. The only reason he was in the in the first place really was to try to find some semblance of a top order to stop Root coming in at 11.15. Given Burns' shakiness and the fact that even when playing well Roy isn't going to hang around for hours means Root is almost always going to be coming in to their new ball attack. And then a wobbly Denly afterwards.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:55 pm

I don't get why we can't just play Archer in place of Denly. The batting line up is weak anyway and can't see Denly getting many. Might as well have a bowling attack full of variety. I think you need a spinner - personally - just for the option. But Archer, Woakes, Stokes, Broad and Anderson gives you so many options means you can bowl short spells and you're good for different situations.

If Australia bat first tomorrow and its flat and sunny that attack looks a bit pedestrian and one paced - its still a great attack but Archer would give it something else. If its cloudy and moving all over the show both innings then yeah Archer won't change much.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:42 pm
Aye, Curran also seems to have that ability to step up and dig in with the bat when it counts (much like Stokes). Kind of the anti-Moeen. Would've been a risk to only play 5 batsmen plus Bairstow but as Worthy says, not convinced there's anything to lose.

Cannot get my head around Denly batting at 4 though. The only reason he was in the in the first place really was to try to find some semblance of a top order to stop Root coming in at 11.15. Given Burns' shakiness and the fact that even when playing well Roy isn't going to hang around for hours means Root is almost always going to be coming in to their new ball attack. And then a wobbly Denly afterwards.
I’m not sure Curran’s bowling is quite there at the moment. His problem is he’s the weakest of our bunch of ‘not too quick blokes who can swing it’. If you’re picking him ahead of Ali, I’m not sure he’d get much of a go with the ball. If it’s suitable conditions you’d back Anderson, Broad and Woakes to do enough so he wouldn’t be needed. If it isn’t, he’s unlikely to offer anything more than the others, and a different type of bowler would be needed. Agreed he’s good for some lower order runs, but not sure that alone warrants a place.

Denly, I used to like. Always felt he could have had a decent England career if given a go 8 or 9 years ago. Can’t help but feel he’s on the wane now.

Also agreed on Root at 3 - he’ll be in before 11.20 in more than half the innings this summer.