Science, Experiment, and the failure of Reality.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Science, Experiment, and the failure of Reality.

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:40 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:36 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:22 pm
^^

Thanks for that Spots, it was a genuine question of interest. At night, when I stand in my back garden, I never know which way to face to find anything, and that damn moon won't stay still.I know the compass directions from here, but I'll check the sites you mention although it all still sounds a bit er....confusing. :wink:
That's the problem with the heavens, Tango... the bloody Earth just won't keep still.
Very early on as a youth I learned the easiest way to navigate the stars. You just need to memorise five constellations: Orion, Cassiopeia, and the Plough (a.k.a the Big Dipper, Great Bear, Ursa Major) being the easiest, and establish from them where the ecliptic lies. After that learn where the Polar (North) star is - the leftmost arm of the W that constitutes Cassiopeia points directly to it (it is also the easiest star to spot in the sparsest part of the sky). Once you are armed with those waypointers you can't go wrong. Dujon, of course would need an entirely different set of waypointers, the Southern Cross being one of them.
I always learned that the last two stars in the Plough or Dipper point to the North star (Polaris), Spotty. It doesn't move, Tango, and so is in almost the same place due north and is the last star in the handle of the small dipper (Ursa Minor). If you follow the Arc (handle) of the big dipper it goes to the bright star ARCturus. and then on to Spica. If you follow Orion's belt down you will see the Dog Star (Canis major), which is the brightest star in our Northern sky. If you look south you will be looking towards the ecliptic - one bright body along the ecliptic is the planet Jupiter, while Saturn is less bright, but you need a telescope to see the big red spot on the former and the rings on the latter. While Jupiter is brighter than any star, Venus in the evening and morning is brighter still and can be seen in daylight. Now you've lots to look for. BTW as a good Catholic you should know the Romans called the planet Venus Lucifer, the light bringer, while the OT used the term to refer to Satan, son of the morning. All very confusing.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:52 am

Yes, TANGO, the position of sunrise and sunset varies daily. Where I live the variation is from roughly northeast in winter and southeast in summer. Likewise sunset varies from northwest in winter and south west in summer. Those directions are at the extremes of the apparent travel of the sun. Your observations will differ considerably from mine as you are located at a much higher latitude than I am. Hence you get much longer daylight in summer than do I and longer nights in winter.

Jerusalem is always in the same direction from Farnworth. Of course from other locations it will not be the same as yours. Nevertheless it stays the same all the time from any particular location on Earth. The best way to work out that is to have a look at a terrestrial globe if you can access one. Just as the direction of Manchester does not change over the ages (barring tectonic changes). :lol:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:59 am

Should you be really interested, TANGO, you are free to look at these pages on one of my web sites.

https://www.johnsblaxlandweather.id.au/ ... quisol.php

https://www.johnsblaxlandweather.id.au/ ... my/sun.php

https://www.johnsblaxlandweather.id.au/ ... lendar.php

The first one will give you an indication as to why the night sky changes and the apparent location of the sun is due to the tilt of Earth's axis.

The other two you can play around with, and over which you can ponder. Remember, though, that these are dates/readings/timings from my location but in a general sense apply to anywhere on Earth.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:40 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:36 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:22 pm
^^

Thanks for that Spots, it was a genuine question of interest. At night, when I stand in my back garden, I never know which way to face to find anything, and that damn moon won't stay still.I know the compass directions from here, but I'll check the sites you mention although it all still sounds a bit er....confusing. :wink:
That's the problem with the heavens, Tango... the bloody Earth just won't keep still.
Very early on as a youth I learned the easiest way to navigate the stars. You just need to memorise five constellations: Orion, Cassiopeia, and the Plough (a.k.a the Big Dipper, Great Bear, Ursa Major) being the easiest, and establish from them where the ecliptic lies. After that learn where the Polar (North) star is - the leftmost arm of the W that constitutes Cassiopeia points directly to it (it is also the easiest star to spot in the sparsest part of the sky). Once you are armed with those waypointers you can't go wrong. Dujon, of course would need an entirely different set of waypointers, the Southern Cross being one of them.
I always learned that the last two stars in the Plough or Dipper point to the North star (Polaris), Spotty. It doesn't move, Tango, and so is in almost the same place due north and is the last star in the handle of the small dipper (Ursa Minor). If you follow the Arc (handle) of the big dipper it goes to the bright star ARCturus. and then on to Spica. If you follow Orion's belt down you will see the Dog Star (Canis major), which is the brightest star in our Northern sky. If you look south you will be looking towards the ecliptic - one bright body along the ecliptic is the planet Jupiter, while Saturn is less bright, but you need a telescope to see the big red spot on the former and the rings on the latter. While Jupiter is brighter than any star, Venus in the evening and morning is brighter still and can be seen in daylight. Now you've lots to look for. BTW as a good Catholic you should know the Romans called the planet Venus Lucifer, the light bringer, while the OT used the term to refer to Satan, son of the morning. All very confusing.
Yes Monty, the last two stars in the Plough also point to Polaris, but I find Cassiopeia is easier to spot being higher in the heavens.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks Monty and Dujon for the replies. I'll certainly take note and give everything a good look over.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:02 am
Thanks Monty and Dujon for the replies. I'll certainly take note and give everything a good look over.
At this time of year, Tango, looking East (towards Yorkshire) as daylight fades you can see the summer triangle rising. This is the three bright stars, from different constellations, of Vega (Lyra), Deneb (Cygnus) and Altair (Aquila). Vega ends up directly overhead here at midnight (maybe a little south for you).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 pm

Not sure what it means but there's a very red sky northwards tonight, right over the Unibol. It's the truth. :|

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:21 pm
Not sure what it means but there's a very red sky northwards tonight, right over the Unibol. It's the truth. :|
Shepherd's delight?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
It's because the entrance to the pit of hell has opened up, right under the directors box, what you saw was the glow reflected off the clouds from the fiery brimstony depths.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:31 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Shepherd's delight?
Aye, I know the saying Monty, but delight hadn't quite arrived when I posted. It might have now.. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:06 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
It's because the entrance to the pit of hell has opened up, right under the directors box, what you saw was the glow reflected off the clouds from the fiery brimstony depths.
:lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:33 am

A subject brought on by the latest internet security interloping technology and the ability for it to happen: Since we're touching on science (astrology etc) which to me usually means bunsen burners, litmus paper and water cress and stuff, is this modern age about to see a happening where in the future huge swathes of knowledge are lost because of an implosion of all the bad of it (I refer in parallel to the mysteries of ancient Egypt and the east etc, and the following the dark ages and such, which seemed to disappear, where and when the world got ahead of itself to such a degree that it almost had to start again.

I know that only the very finest brains of The Wanderer will have a clue whence I go (Quo Vadis), but if such a clue is within you sphere, answers in invisible ink script on parchment and delivered by special delivery (horseback) for security reasons.
Yours expectantly, Austentatious . :D

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Here you go Dujon, an article based on cepheid variables in our galaxy...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... pe-cepheid
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:50 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:26 pm
Here you go Dujon, an article based on cepheid variables in our galaxy...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... pe-cepheid
You just had to go and spoil it didn't you. How am I supposed to find anything amongst that lot? :evil:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:24 pm

Thought you'd all enjoy this:
"If I were to travel a complete circuit of the M25 how many miles would I save by driving anti-clockwise as opposed to clockwise?"

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... 66,00.html
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:24 pm
"If I were to travel a complete circuit of the M25 how many miles would I save by driving anti-clockwise as opposed to clockwise?"

I found that strangely interesting.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:59 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I don't drive any more, (I did once drive from our front door down to Ramsgate, Ferry to Calais, and drove all through France, over the Pyrenees to Cartagena in Spain and back) and I've only ever been on the M25 once. Interesting wasn't quite the description I used if I remember. :shock:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:47 am

Prufrock wrote:

Given the relatively small nature of the distances reported by various methods, they're not even trying to answer the pertinent question which is "how long would I be stuck in slow moving traffic"...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:53 am

malcd1 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I found it interestingly strange. :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Some talk of Alexander and some of Hercules. Other sources talk of space travel and crossing the globe, even here quinqueremes of nineveh and dirty British coasters reflect romantic memories and adventurous voyages of times past.. Some talk of the M25...... :lol: