The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The next manager

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:05 pm

Not Pearson for me, he's a psycho and a fall-out waiting to happen. If we were in a relegation dog fight in late Feb I could see it but would be a wasted opportunity.

Got to use this as an opportunity. Almost unprecedented chance to go in with lowered expectations and build something. We need dinner senior pros for sure but they should be short term low wage see deals, or 2-3 year contracts for youngish players with resale potential (e.g Weir). Put a skeleton team together and see how many of the kids are up to it. Plan for a L2 promotion tilt.

Nolan would be ace, wouldn't mind Hill. Dean Holden a left-field shout.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 pm
Bit in the paper
You know it.
Nolan interested, attractive as ex player. Being an ex player (not saying if bwfc or just footballer) is a key criteria for new owners.
Bit in the paper.
Would suit me. We need a fighter, not more Mr Nice Guy.......FIGHT... :oyea:
:box:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 am

Right, who would we all like as our next manager ?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 am
Mourinho

With Man City's budget

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:09 am

I wonder if Roy's Keen?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:15 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:43 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 am
Mourinho

With Man City's budget
Nah. The Football would be shit. If we get him I’m not going to a game until someone comes in with a better style.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:40 am

Gonna put a +1 for Kevin Nolan.

Decent win ratio at both clubs he's managed.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:42 am

Lot of talk about Nolan - not sure if that's just guessing or based on something. I think it'd be a fair shout right now. He's got some experience of lower league management and would bring a feel good factor back. I'm wary of appointing ex-players just because but Ryan Lowe who claims he doesn't even know him reckoned he'd be a good shout.

And we need a manager to bring on younger lads whilst adding experience.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:46 am

I'd take Nolan.

I can't think of many better alternatives at the moment. Pearson's a bit mental. Dean Saunders is in prison. What else is there?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:52 am

Nolan is the most sellable story. Young manager, played in top division, former Wanderer. He also has a good win ratio, and the two clubs he's led have collapsed after he left... but that raises its own questions. Someone whose opinion I trust compared him to a Coyle <sharp intake of breath> - as in good motivator, fine when it goes well, but less fun when it wobbles.

I wouldn't gnash and wail if it were him, but I would worry about the above and more immediately his contacts book. We need trustworthy players, fast.

Which is why I think I'd prefer Keith Hill. Few can know the lower divisions as well as him. Works well with a budget. It's the job he's wanted for decades. And boy can he spot a striker: Glenn Murray, Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Adam Le Fondre.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 am

Seems like he has got the gig!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:42 am
Lot of talk about Nolan - not sure if that's just guessing or based on something. I think it'd be a fair shout right now. He's got some experience of lower league management and would bring a feel good factor back. I'm wary of appointing ex-players just because but Ryan Lowe who claims he doesn't even know him reckoned he'd be a good shout.

And we need a manager to bring on younger lads whilst adding experience.
Scouse mafia, innit.

But yeah, Nolan for me. Think he's the right man regardless, but being a popular ex-player probably buys more time for a job that is going to take time. Not a million miles away from Lampard at Chelsea. Whilst simultaneously being a million miles away.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 am
?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:52 am
Nolan is the most sellable story. Young manager, played in top division, former Wanderer. He also has a good win ratio, and the two clubs he's led have collapsed after he left... but that raises its own questions. Someone whose opinion I trust compared him to a Coyle <sharp intake of breath> - as in good motivator, fine when it goes well, but less fun when it wobbles.

I wouldn't gnash and wail if it were him, but I would worry about the above and more immediately his contacts book. We need trustworthy players, fast.

Which is why I think I'd prefer Keith Hill. Few can know the lower divisions as well as him. Works well with a budget. It's the job he's wanted for decades. And boy can he spot a striker: Glenn Murray, Grant Holt, Rickie Lambert, Adam Le Fondre.
See I worry Hill is a one club man. Not sure he'll ever do anything beyond Rochdale. But I get the idea.

I'd not complain with either. Or anyone really. Unless its Coyle.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:59 am

Lots of rumours (just rumours) that the job is Nolan's, I'd probably prefer him to Hill (as apparently although he's a Bolton lad he's a Man Utd fan). Nolan would probably help galvanise the club.

I'd still like to think that even given everything we have been through, we are still an attractive job for an out of work experienced manager, with the backing of new owners - I'm not against Nolan but would hope that we have other's (better than Hill) interested.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:01 am

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am
DJBlu wrote:
?
Kevin Nolan

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:05 am

DJBlu wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:01 am
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:56 am
DJBlu wrote:
?
Kevin Nolan
Where are you reading/hearing that?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:07 am

I doubt Hill would lead us to the Premier League. But, and it's a but bigger than Beyonce's, we need to reassess our targets.

We might be in the fourth division next season. We will certainly not be spending big money. We need to bring through the fruits of our respected academy. We need someone who can balance that idealism with pragmatic older players. We need someone to spot a bargain. We need someone who's happy to be in it for the long haul, to develop players who might not be ready to rip up the division but need dripfed experience.

IMO we should forget any idea of being a second-tier club by any other method than developing youngsters good enough to battle at that level or be sold for big cash. Think Barnsley. We've tried to compete in a financial f*cktastrophe and it nearly killed the club. Balls to that. I want to be like my mate's dad Carl, watching the club into my 90s, not watching them die because they overreached.

I spent most of my first decade of watching this club in the lower leagues, and it was fine, but of course, I wanted promotion. Now, I'm not so sure. It could kill my club.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:58 am
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:52 am

See I worry Hill is a one club man. Not sure he'll ever do anything beyond Rochdale. But I get the idea.

I'd not complain with either. Or anyone really. Unless its Coyle.
I know a lot of Dale fans and have seen a lot of games whilst Dale were under Hill. When he was initially linked with us, maybe after Freedman left, I was against it. He basically ran Rochdale, and I thought the difference in size and fan base would be too much for him. It wasn’t unusual for Hill to have a pop at the Dale fans in the press, and that might just be a couple of moaning old timers sat behind him in the crowd, so imagine him with 15,000 (arf!) on his back. I believe he struggled with that in his brief spell at Barnsley as well and a lot of Rochdale fans agreed.

However given the situation we’re in now (might be pessimistic but I’ve accepted we’ll be in League Two next year) and with his track record of getting teams out of that league, I’ve come around to the idea and whilst there are other options too, it would definitely be one I’d consider.
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:22 am

Nolan for me.