The next manager

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Re: The next manager

Post by Enoch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:33 pm

:lol: Holloway!

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:41 pm

Monk has baggage - last I heard he was under investigation by a few of the clubs he's already managed. They don't like the way he always gets his agent involved in deals. I'd say avoid

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:41 pm
Monk has baggage - last I heard he was under investigation by a few of the clubs he's already managed. They don't like the way he always gets his agent involved in deals. I'd say avoid
Despite his expensive Boro failure (he's not the only one) Monk is still well-regarded enough to be employed by a club in the second tier and looking up, rather than hanging off the arse of the third and looking down.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Jugs wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:41 pm
Ah, I didn't know that. Any appointee must have a flawless reputation for basic decency and integrity after what we have just been through...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Monk and Holloway are both morons. Not for me. Need someone who is going to come and build something. Someone looking for in modern parlance a "project".

Throwing out again my left field Dean Holden shout. Mainly because Bristol City have done well, developed players, and Lee Johnson is clearly an idiot so someone must know what they're doing.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm
Monk and Holloway are both morons. Not for me. Need someone who is going to come and build something. Someone looking for in modern parlance a "project".

Throwing out again my left field Dean Holden shout. Mainly because Bristol City have done well, developed players, and Lee Johnson is clearly an idiot so someone must know what they're doing.
My mate who's on that patch thinks Holden will jump into management eventually, but not sure this is the right time to leave or indeed the right place to arrive at. He's pledged to ask him next time DH is on media duty.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Holden would also be my choice as things stand.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am

Brian McDermott. He's doing nowt :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am
He's probably a good fit. But I struggle to take him seriously when he speaks....

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:13 am

Sol Campbell worked a minor miracle at Macclesfield... he is worth an interview.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:43 am

Campbell, good shout. But Nolan and Campbell have more-or-less the same level of experience. I'd go with the ex-player (hero) if I was to choose out of a pair of candidates like that personally

Either way, wouldn't surprise me if Sol gets an interview.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 pm

I'd rather get someone whose ego doesn't block out the sun. Someone who would be here for the long run.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:45 pm
I'd rather get someone whose ego doesn't block out the sun. Someone who would be here for the long run.
Oooooof....tread carefully there. Oliver Holt will be a coming for you.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:47 pm
Heh. That was quite the hissy fit.

For the record, I wasn't angry Sol got the Macc job. I was a bit surprised he went for it, given he's got the sort of self-worth required to put oneself forward as a candidate for Mayor of London, but he's done well there on a tough shift. However, can you imagine Sol Campbell being Bolton manager in four years' time? I can't. So IMO forget it. We need to plan long-term. And sensibly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:47 pm
Heh. That was quite the hissy fit.

For the record, I wasn't angry Sol got the Macc job. I was a bit surprised he went for it, given he's got the sort of self-worth required to put oneself forward as a candidate for Mayor of London, but he's done well there on a tough shift. However, can you imagine Sol Campbell being Bolton manager in four years' time? I can't. So IMO forget it. We need to plan long-term. And sensibly.
I can't imagine him being Bolton manager in 2 weeks time. Can't stand the bloke personally. And for balance Oli - I can't stand Ian Holloway either!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:52 am
Successful at Leeds Rhinos, but largely carried by an experienced group of players I reckon. Not sure he’d transfer across to football very well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm
can you imagine Sol Campbell being Bolton manager in four years' time?
I can't imagine him being Bolton manager in 2 weeks time.
I can. A League One club (with a proud name and a big story) would be a sensible next stepping stone for him. But I don't want a stone-stepper, I want a future-builder.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:08 pm

I feel we are suddenly a very attractive proposition now. New owners with a plan, the club ready for progress again, good stadium and facilities, people in the game still respect us and remember us being a decent Prem side.

I wonder if existing L1 managers will be applying or amenable to switching? The Cowley brothers at Lincoln for instance?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:09 pm

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm
can you imagine Sol Campbell being Bolton manager in four years' time?
I can't imagine him being Bolton manager in 2 weeks time.
I can. A League One club (with a proud name and a big story) would be a sensible next stepping stone for him. But I don't want a stone-stepper, I want a future-builder.
There’s a fine line between stone stepping and future building though. A young manager is likely to be ambitious, and even in the best case scenario we may not progress as fast as their career may take them. Someone may start out for the long haul, put 2 good years in and then a championship club comes calling.

It’s a fairly unique opportunity for someone though - decent fan base, good facilities and a complete blank canvas of a squad, with new owners looking to win over fans.

Whoever comes in will be completely rebuilding the club which is why I think it’s imperative we get the right person.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:10 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:08 pm
I feel we are suddenly a very attractive proposition now. New owners with a plan, the club ready for progress again, good stadium and facilities, people in the game still respect us and remember us being a decent Prem side.

I wonder if existing L1 managers will be applying or amenable to switching? The Cowley brothers at Lincoln for instance?
There aren’t many other jobs around that don’t start with some sort of clear out. We’ve done all of that. Whoever comes in will have a complete blank canvas to build their ideal squad and shape the whole club in their image.