Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:03 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 pm
Yeah fair feck* to them. Can't argue with the decisions on their own but I can't stand VAR. I don't think the offside rule is there to be ruled on a milimtre here or there (and in fairness I don't think our pen was a pen either). Ruins the game. Only saw the second half so no goals but they looked the better team.
Still, the women have nailed it. Semi final exit, missed a pen, red card. Equal pay for equal work.
Agree offside has gone crackers, but the commentator had it right for me on the penalty; why would a goalscorer like Ellen White go down instead of scoring if she wasn't fouled? She got nudged off balance with the goal at her mercy. As luck would have it we didn't benefit from it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 pm

I've watched it all, so I'll see it out tonight and hope Sweden take out the Netherlands. (Oh how I'd love to see them take out the Doodles in the final) Hope the Lionesses can win the third spot and get a medal. They well deserve that, particularly Stephanie Houghton (Mrs Stephen Darby), the bravest of the brave in every sense of the word.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 pm
I've watched it all, so I'll see it out tonight
Will you also watch the third/fourth place play-off game, Tango? If ever there was a game of football in any competition that nobody's in the least bit interested in, it's this.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:51 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Will you also watch the third/fourth place play-off game, Tango? If ever there was a game of football in any competition that nobody's in the least bit interested in, it's this.
Did you take a poll on that then? and if I should choose to watch it, who's it hurting? If you're not interested, don't watch it. Simple.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Did you take a poll on that then? and if I should choose to watch it, who's it hurting? If you're not interested, don't watch it. Simple.
fecking Hell, get you, Mr Arsey, OK, who came third and fourth (without looking it up) in last year's bloke's world cup? Obviously in making a broader point about the 3rd / 4th place play-off being nothing other than an exercise in futility, I neglected to take into account those with little else to concentrate on.
May the bridges I burn light your way

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Seems unnecessarily defensive...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:23 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:39 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Seems unnecessarily defensive...
It wasn't meant that way at all. Although it's women's football, it is their world cup. 11.7 million
people watched the England America game and maybe I'm wrong, but I reckon a lot will watch their last game/last game of the tournament.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 pm
That handball was ludicrous. Don't think that's aWWC thing though. That's European thing. Was a shambles in the champions League too. No way that was a pen tonight.

I think anybody who saw it would agree without doubt; yet Japan are going home because of it. . Netherlands just bullied them all through the game and got away with it. What a farce!
Interesting interview with Mike Riley (spit) on VAR in the Prem next year. Said the standard for its use will be very high (i.e. only obviously wrong decisions) and that in terms of how English referees deal with handball, the one in the Holland Japan game wouldn't be a pen.

See what happens in practice, but at least encouraging words.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:27 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:57 pm
That handball was ludicrous. Don't think that's aWWC thing though. That's European thing. Was a shambles in the champions League too. No way that was a pen tonight.

I think anybody who saw it would agree without doubt; yet Japan are going home because of it. . Netherlands just bullied them all through the game and got away with it. What a farce!
Interesting interview with Mike Riley (spit) on VAR in the Prem next year. Said the standard for its use will be very high (i.e. only obviously wrong decisions) and that in terms of how English referees deal with handball, the one in the Holland Japan game wouldn't be a pen.

See what happens in practice, but at least encouraging words.
Indeed, let's hope it works for the good. I'm not having it at all that Ellen White's goal was handball assisted and didn't come off her bust. V.A.R or no, that was a (wrong) referee decision in the end The other ridiculous rule that needs changing back is to where offside is obvious and not dependent on what size shoes you take. Some common sense urgently needed.World cup organising and funding must cost millions and hours of intensive training; for teams to be packed off home due to silliness is beyond belief in this day and age..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:28 pm

Saw Tottenham were playing Bayern at the Alianza in a cup final tonight that was on T.V, so thought I'd give it a look. They won after a penalty shoot-out but were mighty lucky. Seventy five subs were allowed for each side and made use of, but Spurs spent the second half defending mightily after being 2-0 up. Some decent football and Bayern were impressive. Best team didn't win but got the pot anyway.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:28 am

The angle they showed the penalties from was wierd. Made the goals look really a lot smaller than they normally appear on TV...They must've been stood on the 18 yard line.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:28 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:28 am
The angle they showed the penalties from was wierd. Made the goals look really a lot smaller than they normally appear on TV...They must've been stood on the 18 yard line.
Aye, that was really strange. Their goalie reminded me of Bruce Grobellar and his rubber legs.. :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:48 pm

FIFA joys. VAR and the new stupid tweaks to the handball rule. Why do they keep dicking around with something not broken.

VAR is supposed to stop wrestling in the box. Lamela gets that Rodri round the neck and hauls to the floor. No VAR check no obvious pen. Then last minute never deliberate handball in a million years, VAR sees it brushes am arm and because it led to a goal that's somehow handball now.

No-one in the crowd or on the pitch with a clue.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:57 pm

They started new rule in Womens World Cup I think and there were some really strange ones. The decision at City shows just how stupid it is. They've dug themselves a hole and they need to change back, the thought that there can be a pen from a point blank incident that happens to hit a defenders arm is bizarre. Technology shouldn't replace judgement and common sense.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:27 pm

It only works one way! If it hits the Spurs defender on the arm instead it's not a foul. Work that one out!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:36 pm

I guess if the City player had been a Spurs defender and no penalty had been awarded, I'd have said that was right decision. It all sounds contrived and a bit fcuked in the head.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:37 pm

Totally it should never be a foul in a million years of it hits either.

Just seen a pen in the Villa Bournemouth gave VAR didn't get so good to see a random element of chaos remains.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:24 am

I don't watch footie on tele and haven't for a good few years. What turned me off was Sky dissecting every decision from twenty odd angles. F*ck Sky, f*ck VAR, I'm happy watching proper footie down the wreck.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Super Steph, Magic Millie and co take on the Belgians tonight. 6-30 B.B.C 2 . Go Girls... :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:29 pm

England women v Norway at 5-0;clock as a warm up to the super Whites rise from the ashes.. and the real Ashes start tomorrow... :oyea: