Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:43 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53 am
That’s more terrible luck for us mind...two injured left backs 😕
... the first one having done his knee chasing back when a striker who was clearly miles offside ran through, but these days the linos don't flag immediately.

Two left-backs procured, 14 minutes between them. Bah.

Of course, the most important thing is that Joe gets well.

Paging Jordan Boon...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:43 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:53 am
That’s more terrible luck for us mind...two injured left backs 😕
... the first one having done his knee chasing back when a striker who was clearly miles offside ran through, but these days the linos don't flag immediately.

Two left-backs procured, 14 minutes between them. Bah.

Of course, the most important thing is that Joe gets well.

Paging Jordan Boon...
Sorry but the lads miles off being ready - he was blowing after 20 minutes against Bradford (was right in front of me) and was taken apart second half time and time again. Thought White looked better myself - though I don't realistically think either will start.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am
Paging Jordan Boon...
Sorry but the lads miles off being ready - he was blowing after 20 minutes against Bradford (was right in front of me) and was taken apart second half time and time again. Thought White looked better myself - though I don't realistically think either will start.
Oh I know. Poor old Boony's had a right time of it - own goals, penalty misses. Hope it makes him stronger.

I agree - although IIRC Boon played more in pre-season (such as it was), White's played the thick end of four matches there and has looked the readier player when I've seen him. Right now, the 17-year-old Scouser looks ahead of his Stockportian rival, despite being 14 months younger.

Dunno who else we'd play there. Wright is left-footed but a thirtysomething centre-back. Jason Lowe is said to be a full-back but hasn't excelled on the right, let alone the left. Ali Crawford? We're talking square pegs, so it's an interesting early test of Hill's attitude to the kids who still make up half the squad.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:11 pm

I hope that he makes a speedy recovery, but this is more bad luck for BWFC....it sounds like he could be out for a while.

left back is an important position (as they all are), but I think that Hill will need to bring someone else in ASAP - personally I don't think that any of the kids are good enough in this position.

I also think that the current squad is still very light.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Great post on Crawford, DSB, cheers.

I'm personally thinking we still need a CAM - a playmaker. Iles created his teamsheet today and stuck Weir in that position. Is he the best we can do, or is there anyone else available?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:09 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:58 am
Paging Jordan Boon...
Oh I know. Poor old Boony's had a right time of it - own goals, penalty misses. Hope it makes him stronger.

I agree - although IIRC Boon played more in pre-season (such as it was), White's played the thick end of four matches there and has looked the readier player when I've seen him. Right now, the 17-year-old Scouser looks ahead of his Stockportian rival, despite being 14 months younger.

Dunno who else we'd play there. Wright is left-footed but a thirtysomething centre-back. Jason Lowe is said to be a full-back but hasn't excelled on the right, let alone the left. Ali Crawford? We're talking square pegs, so it's an interesting early test of Hill's attitude to the kids who still make up half the squad.
Interesting to see what he does. I can't imagine us signing an outright left back given we have two senior ones injured. But wouldn't shock me to see him sign someone who can play a few positions on a free if someone is available.

Failing that I think he'd possibly play one of Brockbank or Emmanuel at LB if either could do it. Or Lowe as you say.

We'll see. Nobody really knows what team he'd pick Saturday anyway which makes it a bit exciting though we don't have loads of options.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Jugs wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm personally thinking we still need a CAM - a playmaker. Iles created his teamsheet today and stuck Weir in that position. Is he the best we can do, or is there anyone else available?
Weir's looked good to me though more in a defensive role. I think he's a good player. I suspect Buckley might play in the centre.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm

further details... (From the BN)

It has emerged that the footballer was involved in a serious collision in the Preston area of the M55 in the early hours of Sunday morning in which his Vauxhall Mokka had careered into the central reservation of the motorway and then into a tree.

Police are now appealing for witnesses to the incident, which occurred at 3.35am. Bunney is believed to have been the sole occupant of the vehicle.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm

Surely we will pick up a free agent on a short term contract until Christmas? It’s been the biggest weak link of our young line up.

Bit more on the accident on the BN story, he was driving alone at 4am on Sunday morning. No further details but that doesn’t sound too clever.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:13 pm
Interesting to see what he does. I can't imagine us signing an outright left back given we have two senior ones injured. But wouldn't shock me to see him sign someone who can play a few positions on a free if someone is available.

Failing that I think he'd possibly play one of Brockbank or Emmanuel at LB if either could do it. Or Lowe as you say.
Depends how you define senior. Josh Earl is 20; he's also someone else's loanee, here until January and injured for more than half of that. Trouble is we've missed the loan window, but this may accelerate the search for another (free) body for a position we arguably needed cover in anyway. Bring back Andy Kellett!

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Jugs wrote:

Totally agree with this, we still need a creative / centre midfield playmaker - I don't think that Murphy is anywhere near good enough as it stands (unless Hill can get him more interested ?), I don't think that he's got out of 2nd gear in all the time he's been with us, he just looks disinterested & lethargic IMO.

I also think that we need another CB (Hobbs could break down at any time)....as I've said previously I think that its a gamble from Hill to have a squad as light as it is, especially when there are other places available, it actually seems quite strange not to look to fill the other spaces.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:27 pm
Jugs wrote:

Totally agree with this, we still need a creative / centre midfield playmaker - I don't think that Murphy is anywhere near good enough as it stands (unless Hill can get him more interested ?), I don't think that he's got out of 2nd gear in all the time he's been with us, he just looks disinterested & lethargic IMO.

I also think that we need another CB (Hobbs could break down at any time)....as I've said previously I think that its a gamble from Hill to have a squad as light as it is, especially when there are other places available, it actually seems quite strange not to look to fill the other spaces.
We've 3 spaces to fill. And Hill needs to have time to see which kids he fancies too.

And we also need to see what injuries we pick up and where priorities may lie. So I think its sensible not to fill the squad and be stuck if the worst happens. Think we can sign frees till November so makes sense to take somewhat of a wait and see approach. But the Bunney news may force their hands I guess.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Jugs wrote:
Weir's looked good to me though more in a defensive role. I think he's a good player. I suspect Buckley might play in the centre.
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Totally agree with [Jugs], we still need a creative / centre midfield playmaker - I don't think that Murphy is anywhere near good enough as it stands (unless Hill can get him more interested ?), I don't think that he's got out of 2nd gear in all the time he's been with us, he just looks disinterested & lethargic IMO.

On the last point, I think Hill's wait-and-see policy has been justified already by Bunney's injury. With only three more spaces available we can't have cover for everyone, so we should see where we need it regarding fitness and form.

On AMC - I don't think Weir's got enough about him to excel there, although he seems even more lost in wide positions. Maybe I'm being harsh and he'll improve when he's playing with grown-ups but the two games I've watched have largely passed him by. Same can be said for Murphy. I'm also unconvinced that Buckley would be much better as a No.10 than a winger. Maybe Crawford could do it.

But maybe we don't play with one. If Hill plays a 4-3-3 he may invert the midfield triangle so there's one sitter behind two runners, which would IMO better suit limited players like Murphy and Weir (runners) and Lowe (sitter). It's a version of the old Allardyce 4-3-3, which is still being used (admittedly with a more forward-thinking attacking triumvirate) by the European champions, among many others.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:57 pm

Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Jugs wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Totally agree with [Jugs], we still need a creative / centre midfield playmaker - I don't think that Murphy is anywhere near good enough as it stands (unless Hill can get him more interested ?), I don't think that he's got out of 2nd gear in all the time he's been with us, he just looks disinterested & lethargic IMO.

On the last point, I think Hill's wait-and-see policy has been justified already by Bunney's injury. With only three more spaces available we can't have cover for everyone, so we should see where we need it regarding fitness and form.

On AMC - I don't think Weir's got enough about him to excel there, although he seems even more lost in wide positions. Maybe I'm being harsh and he'll improve when he's playing with grown-ups but the two games I've watched have largely passed him by. Same can be said for Murphy. I'm also unconvinced that Buckley would be much better as a No.10 than a winger. Maybe Crawford could do it.

But maybe we don't play with one. If Hill plays a 4-3-3 he may invert the midfield triangle so there's one sitter behind two runners, which would IMO better suit limited players like Murphy and Weir (runners) and Lowe (sitter). It's a version of the old Allardyce 4-3-3, which is still being used (admittedly with a more forward-thinking attacking triumvirate) by the European champions, among many others.
Against Coventry and Bradford Weir looked very good to me.

Played the holding role nicely - and a huge improvement on Murphy and Lowe - but it was notable he's done better when its just the kids than when seniors were in the mix.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm

I think if we don't get a CAM in there pronto, we'll fall back on the same complaints us fans have had while Parky was here (and especially last season) - dour football, no creative spark, few chances created et cetera. It's okay having the runners but we've been there, done that and were bored to tears. If Hill can get this squad playing some blood and thunder football, okay. But without creative players, it could be as dull as ditchwater (again).

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:57 pm
Against Coventry and Bradford Weir looked very good to me.

Played the holding role nicely - and a huge improvement on Murphy and Lowe - but it was notable he's done better when its just the kids than when seniors were in the mix.
Interesting - as we haven't seen the same games we can't disagree :D You going to Rotherham? I am...

Most interesting that he was in the holding role for the two games we didn't lose.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Jugs wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm
I think if we don't get a CAM in there pronto, we'll fall back on the same complaints us fans have had while Parky was here (and especially last season) - dour football, no creative spark, few chances created et cetera. It's okay having the runners but we've been there, done that and were bored to tears. If Hill can get this squad playing some blood and thunder football, okay. But without creative players, it could be as dull as ditchwater (again).
Hang on, give it a chance. Let's see how he sets them up and how keen they are to go forward - note that both full-backs seem attack-minded. Broad-brush stuff but it's not far removed to say that under Parky the full-backs and "wingers" didn't exactly fly forward in Kloppesque style. (Speaking of which - who's their playmaker? Are they dull?)

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:10 pm

Jugs wrote:
Exactly, how many holding midfielders do we need....Lowe, Weir, Murphy, Bridcutt. We need a midfielder or two who are more attacking, energetic, creative & who can carry the ball, can pass and link up with the wide men & striker, otherwise as Jugs has said it will be back Parkinson's dour football, with a massive gap between the midfield & attack. We are in League 1, surely we only need one holding midfielder at any one time .

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:07 pm
Jugs wrote:
Hang on, give it a chance. Let's see how he sets them up and how keen they are to go forward - note that both full-backs seem attack-minded. Broad-brush stuff but it's not far removed to say that under Parky the full-backs and "wingers" didn't exactly fly forward in Kloppesque style. (Speaking of which - who's their playmaker? Are they dull?)
We'll see how it goes. But as I see that midfield at the moment, it looks a bit flat - as it has been for a long time at Bolton. Fans want some imagination, some spark on the pitch; someone who opens doors. We just don't seem to have that and, at the moment, it doesn't look like Hill is looking to remedy it just yet.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:15 pm

Jugs wrote:
He's signed Buckley, Crawford and the Stoke winger all attack minded midfield players. Give it a chance. I think expecting some sort of footballing epiphany in these circumstances is pie in the sky. We just want to be competitive and give teams a game for now.