Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:10 pm
Jugs wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm
I think if we don't get a CAM in there pronto, we'll fall back on the same complaints us fans have had while Parky was here (and especially last season) - dour football, no creative spark, few chances created et cetera. It's okay having the runners but we've been there, done that and were bored to tears. If Hill can get this squad playing some blood and thunder football, okay. But without creative players, it could be as dull as ditchwater (again).
Exactly, how many holding midfielders do we need....Lowe, Weir, Murphy, Bridcutt. We need a midfielder or two who are more attacking, energetic, creative & who can carry the ball, can pass and link up with the wide men & striker, otherwise as Jugs has said it will be back Parkinson's dour football, with a massive gap between the midfield & attack. We are in League 1, surely we only need one holding midfielder at any one time .
I'm not sure any of those are "holding midfield" players. All can do a more up and down job if needed. And Murphy (although he's been terrible) had a reputation as more of a passing type. But look, we're piecing together what we can - its going to be a battle and if KH wants to play a more out and out 4-3-3 then you want workhorses in midfield at this stage.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Look, I get what folk are saying, and I get that it's early doors. But if you listen to fan complaints from the last few years, a prime one has been a lack of creativity on the pitch, a lack of chances created et cetera. And, for me, and Bertie as well, we need someone in the middle of the park who's got a bit of ingenuity. Not asking for a full-on Mark Davies type, but Murphy, Bridcutt and Lowe certainly aren't the kind of player we've got in mind.

Buckley, meanwhile, still has a lot to prove here. He's been poor so far.

But we'll see how it goes.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:28 pm

I defended Parky for a long while but I have to admit I can't remember him ever playing a 4-3-3 that wasn't really a safety-first 4-5-1 at heart.

I think, and to some extent hope, that Hill and Flicker's version of 4-3-3 will be a lot further up the pitch, a lot less "reactive" (Megson/Freedman/Parky) and more on the front foot.

Of course, we'll see. But it's about mindset as much as formation. Neither City nor Liverpool play with a No.10.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:33 pm

I don't think myself or Jugs are asking for a No10, playing off the striker - for me its either a McAteer or Frandsen type who will drive forward with the ball at pace or a Barry Bannan type who can spray the ball around quickly and get us moving up the pitch quicker.

It was pedestrian at best under Parkinson, whoever he played because we had no legs, pace or creativity in midfield. We need to start playing at a much quicker, faster tempo moving the ball quicker - which is apparently how Hill likes to play, but looking at the current squad there doesn't appear to be that type of player in the squad, Unless Crawford is such a player ?.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:33 pm
I don't think myself or Jugs are asking for a No10, playing off the striker - for me its either a McAteer or Frandsen type who will drive forward with the ball at pace or a Barry Bannan type who can spray the ball around quickly and get us moving up the pitch quicker.

It was pedestrian at best under Parkinson, whoever he played because we had no legs, pace or creativity in midfield. We need to start playing at a much quicker, faster tempo moving the ball quicker - which is apparently how Hill likes to play, but looking at the current squad there doesn't appear to be that type of player in the squad, Unless Crawford is such a player ?.
I think I get what you're saying but I don't think point is helped by using players far superior to the level we're playing at.

Is Buckley someone who could do that job under Hill in this league? Hill clearly thinks so. Crawford too. We can have a look and then decide who we need to fill last 3 slots. But we're scraping the barrel here not putting an ideal 11 together. Not all elements will be available to us. I'm sure ideally Hill would prefer not to have only two senior strikers both the wrong side of 32.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:44 pm

We really must get rid of that Quinton Fortune dedication bed in physio. Injuries are way beyond a joke...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:44 pm
We really must get rid of that Quinton Fortune dedication bed in physio. Injuries are way beyond a joke...
Suspect in reality they aren't. They just seem exaggerated because we've had a horrid few years and every injury is a body blow.

Win a few games and you still get injuries but nobody talks about them as much!

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:24 pm
Surely we will pick up a free agent on a short term contract until Christmas? It’s been the biggest weak link of our young line up.

Bit more on the accident on the BN story, he was driving alone at 4am on Sunday morning. No further details but that doesn’t sound too clever.
It doesn't does it....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Surely we will pick up a free agent on a short term contract until Christmas? It’s been the biggest weak link of our young line up.

Bit more on the accident on the BN story, he was driving alone at 4am on Sunday morning. No further details but that doesn’t sound too clever.
It doesn't does it....
Nor does the fact the police are actively seeking witnesses, but we should be careful here.

Also "could now be out of action for a number of months".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

It doesn't does it....
Nor does the fact the police are actively seeking witnesses, but we should be careful here.

Also "could now be out of action for a number of months".
Can I suggest that a) we tread carefully and b) that seeking witnesses suggests they do not fully know what happened.

Which means speculation that I suspect people are hinting at may well be wide of the mark.

One of the biggest cause of accidents is people falling asleep at the wheel.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:39 pm

Particularly at 4am.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Its a shame as I was quite looking forward to seeing him play, as an attack minded left back who Hill must like having worked with him previously - so he must have been important in regards to how Hill wants to play.

I can't see him being back before December.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Jake Wright interview.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:39 pm
Particularly at 4am.
Indeed. I’ll heed the warning and say no further till the story is known in full.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Thibaud Verlinden
thibaud.jpg
thibaud.jpg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Belgian winger, barely 20, 5ft 8in, whose goalkeeper dad played like nearly 500 time for Club Brugge. Stoke signed the lad at 16 from Standard Liege; he made his debut at 18 at (hey!) Rochdale in the League Cup. Was then sent on loan to St Pauli, who put him in the reserves and didn't play him there either.

Still, Stoke fans lost their shit when he came to us on loan. Really quite impressively considering he's made four appearances for them, but they're in a very familiar tailspin and hiring Nathan Jones doesn't seem to have worked so far: they're W0 D1 L5 this season. As is usually the way (Andranik!), the players outside the XI are obviously The Answer.

Anyway, here's one punter's response, published by the local rag. It's quite the read.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... rs-3296008
At just 21 years old [sic], Verlinden has become something of a talismanic youngster for Stoke fans (along with defender Nathan Collins) after impressing on his debut against Reading towards the end of last season. His pace, trickery and determination to get to the byline made him stand out amongst some of the dross we’d had to suffer for three years. It seemed obvious to the vast majority that this lad has a future and, given the parlous state of City’s attacking prowess, it had better be at Stoke. He quickly became our version of Wayne Rooney at 18 for England.
There's more here:
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... on-3277773
"One of the brightest talents that we have and always willing to go past a player with the ball."

"Absolutely shocking stoke, the only lad in our squad who can create somat."

"Absolute embarrassment, when Verlinden has played he has shown some creativity, pace and a real threat to defenders when having the balls to run at them"

"One of our very few players with pace and can get the crowd up on they’re feet and actually take a player on and we let him go"
So that's another reason to like the transfer... it annoys Stoke fans... come on in lads, the water's lovely...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Have we forgotten about Politic as our ACM? I think that's his bettter position and certainly were Salford played him last season
Pfffft.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am

TKIZ! wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:19 pm
Have we forgotten about Politic as our ACM? I think that's his bettter position and certainly were Salford played him last season
If I'm a tired centre back or defensive midfielder 75 minutes into a match, I'd be very concerned at a fresh Politic or Darcy coming off the bench. Both should see plenty more game time this season.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am
TKIZ! wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:19 pm
If I'm a tired centre back or defensive midfielder 75 minutes into a match, I'd be very concerned at a fresh Politic or Darcy coming off the bench. Both should see plenty more game time this season.

keep this kind of nonsense to the politics thread...

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Quality bants..... :oyea: :lol:
Pfffft.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm

The official photos are dribbling out... clearly we can't afford just to give 'em Wanderers shirts anymore - they'll have to earn their shirts!! :oyea: