Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your England XI

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:24 am

CrazyHorse wrote:Well maybe if we're dead lucky and play really well we'll win the world cup next tube instead.
You can piss off an' all :mrgreen:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Woy
I expect much better from you than this, Sir.
Agreed

The blokes bottled his squad selection but did a decent job picking up from the world cup feck ups. I was starting to feel positive again until the weekend!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:46 pm

Tonight should be a tougher test than some we've had, although the general standard of football globally seems far better than its ever been. At one time we'd have laughed at the likes of Oz, but not now. I see the Portuguese maestro has been excluded because of fatigue after the Champs League final (Daily Mail. so..?) and has gone holidaying aboard a yacht.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Tonight should be a tougher test than some we've had, although the general standard of football globally seems far better than its ever been. At one time we'd have laughed at the likes of Oz, but not now. I see the Portuguese maestro has been excluded because of fatigue after the Champs League final (Daily Mail. so..?) and has gone holidaying aboard a yacht.
That's a pisser for Roy. Evidently he picked Portugal so that England could practice against someone playing in the Bale role.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Tonight should be a tougher test than some we've had, although the general standard of football globally seems far better than its ever been. At one time we'd have laughed at the likes of Oz, but not now. I see the Portuguese maestro has been excluded because of fatigue after the Champs League final (Daily Mail. so..?) and has gone holidaying aboard a yacht.
That's a pisser for Roy. Evidently he picked Portugal so that England could practice against someone playing in the Bale role.
Yes, I read that, although whilst both are dangerous and skilled, they aren't each other. We have to get used to playing what's in front of us.

TheHeatonWanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheHeatonWanderer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:51 pm

throwawayboltonian wrote:Just found an interesting post on another forum, the England starting XI for 2016 as predicted by the Daily Fail back in 2007. Interesting to see one of our current first team on there!

EDIT: The image seems to load up on other browsers, but not on firefox, so if it's not appearing try switching to something like Chrome.
Ironic none of them made it to the 2014 world cup. Mind you they couldn't be as bad as those that actually went :)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:00 pm

^^ I'm assuming the compiler was a Reading fan.

It's simple enough to select the "best" youngsters from the "top" clubs. Where did James Henry enter this group? (Or end up ?)
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:51 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^ I'm assuming the compiler was a Reading fan.

It's simple enough to select the "best" youngsters from the "top" clubs. Where did James Henry enter this group? (Or end up ?)
Wasn't that when Reading had that season where they nearly pipped us to a UEFA cup spot? Sidwell and Henry in midfield iirc.

One season wonders.....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Wasn't that when Reading had that season where they nearly pipped us to a UEFA cup spot? Sidwell and Henry in midfield iirc.

One season wonders.....
Apparently not. He played a grand total of 10 games for Reading. Moved to Millwall. Now at Wolves .... where he's "amassed" 11 games in 2.5 seasons.

I'll stick with my first analysis I think.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:44 am

bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

One season wonders.....
Apparently not. He played a grand total of 10 games for Reading. Moved to Millwall. Now at Wolves .... where he's "amassed" 11 games in 2.5 seasons.

I'll stick with my first analysis I think.
Oh aye my mistake, I was confusing him with James Harper......

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:18 pm

I'd have had Drinkwater for Henderson, and Vardy for Kane, but looks sensible otherwise. Looking forward to seeing how we set up.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Well ....we know now !! :shock:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:11 pm

Gotta love Sam...

Pre match...interviewer 'Sam will Rooney ever play in midfield for you?' Sam 'No'

First game....Rooney plays.......in midfield

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Gotta love Sam...

Pre match...interviewer 'Sam will Rooney ever play in midfield for you?' Sam 'No'

First game....Rooney plays.......in midfield
Only because that's where he drifted.

Dull bloody match though.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Rooney is shocking. Hopefully Sam. Will bin him off.amount times he should be in the box instead lingering in midfield picking the ball up whilst others stand redundant!
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:39 am

I tell you what, that Sancho is proper. We'll be in an international final in the next ten years. Some really exciting young players coming through.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Saw the whole game on ...er... cough..well, 86 mins of it before it disappeared never to return. Probably they need some time to settle with a lot of new faces, but it wasn't a bad display at all. Weak area seemed to be Alexander Arnold who made few real errors, but he made up for it with the goal. We were noticably stronger when Dier came on and Henderson is solid as a link man. Front lads all did well and we're probably stronger in depth than we've been for a fair while, particularly up front. Liked the look of Pulisic for them and it's easy to see why a couple of big English clubs are chasing him. Croatia will be the real test. They beat Spain 3-2 last night..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Beat Croatia ( who beat Spain last week) 2-1 after being one down. Made the finals in Portugal after it looking unlikely. That'll do thank you. :oyea: :oyea:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Raheem Sterling utterly unplayable tonight.

Incredible.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 pm
Raheem Sterling utterly unplayable tonight.

Incredible.
Seconded, he's terrorising em. Not over impressed with this left back fella; takes half-an-hour to take a throw in. The rest (apart from the first minute) are doing great. Kosova are no duck-eggs. Play careful now. More of the same.... :oyea: