Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Your England XI

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:48 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:34 pm
Raheem Sterling utterly unplayable tonight.
Incredible.
Seconded, he's terrorising em. Not over impressed with this left back fella; takes half-an-hour to take a throw in. The rest (apart from the first minute) are doing great. Kosova are no duck-eggs. Play careful now. More of the same.... :oyea:
And thus...it came to pass. Possession passes, just like extended tennis rallies, one will always be one too many. Their attackers waltzed round our defence with consumate ease and for most of the second half were the better team. "Over to you Claude" passing died out in 1950, it's a zoo out there now. Sterling was man of the match twice over and unlucky not to score a couple more. Chilwell isn't a patch on Rose at left back........ As for their coach... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Could someone kindly explain to me what the Dickens the Nations League is please?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:29 pm
Could someone kindly explain to me what the Dickens the Nations League is please?
I can't.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Never heard of it. Presumably some nonsense dreamt up by FIFA/UEFA to make more money by having more fixtures than ever before.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:57 pm

I thought I understood it re: the euros but apparently it's back and feck knows how or why.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 pm

It's every other year I think so the calendar goes...

Euro Champs
Nations League
World Cup
Nations League

Then there's finals at "something" every year...

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:42 pm

Did Southgate take the night off and let Parkinson deal with the Denmark game? We have the most talented group of attacking players we have probably ever had and Southgate plays 7 at the back. That was painful.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:17 am

Desperately struggle to break down a pretty average if well organised Iceland. Then going to a more talented Denmark but who are still going to sit in and play for a point, so let's throw in another centre back.

The most baffling thing for me was no left footed defender even in the squad, and in Trippier the slowest of all the film backs played 180 mins on the left. Not his fault but everything back inside, killed half of the pitch. Like schoolboy basics stuff.

Two of the worst England games for a long long time.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Coady and Dier don't get near a starting 11 for any of the genuinely top sides in world football, either. They're good Premier League players, but that's it. Trippier is actually really good, but not out of position on the left. I thought the squad was ridiculous when he announced it with no left backs and, as you say, no left footed defenders (less his fault in the middle, due to our options).

I can't fathom the Denmark game. 3 attacking mids in the squad and none in the 11. Wide forwards and wingbacks trying to occupy the same space.

Really, really poor from Southgate all over.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:24 pm

Congratulations to Gareth Southgate for selecting the most unbalanced England squad I can ever remember. There are some glaring issues here some self inflicted some not so. Midfield and centre of defence looks very problematic to me. But we shall see. Reece James has to start at CB surely?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:03 pm

Looks like 3-at-the-back. Saka and Chillwell as left wing back options, Trent and Tripper for the right. Walker and James become options for the right centre back role, with Maguire and Coady as central options and Mings and Stones on the left. Could be wrong, but it's the only way I can make the selection make sense.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 at the back at times, and I don't think it will be as rigid as you've set out (and I'm pretty sure in the world cup Stones played centrally and Maguire left, but hey).

But agreed it's clearly picked with 3 at the back in mind. Baffles me. We haven't got 2 good centre backs never mind 3 and you lose one from the area we have the most strength, all the while negating one of our only two world class players by making him start higher. But there we go.

I've never been a Southgate fan. 2018 was fun but I maintain we'd have got to the final and maybe won in with Sam in charge.

International football is right up BwfcI's alley. It's all about defending well, maximising set pieces, and going your country produces a striker.

The bonus is all the other managers are shite too so we've still got a chance. France by far the best set of individuals, we're joint second for me with Belgium and Portugal.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 pm
I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 at the back at times, and I don't think it will be as rigid as you've set out (and I'm pretty sure in the world cup Stones played centrally and Maguire left, but hey).
Sure, I'd go with that. Saka's ability to play as a winger gives it a bit more flexibility if he wants to go four at the back at times, but if he has picked that squad for anything other than primarily going with a 3 he is mental.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:57 pm

Actually, I'm wrong. Luke Shaw is in there and I skipped him. So there's that. That really is a shit load of defenders. Saka as a forward option, then.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:25 pm

But agreed it's clearly picked with 3 at the back in mind. Baffles me. We haven't got 2 good centre backs never mind 3 and you lose one from the area we have the most strength, all the while negating one of our only two world class players by making him start higher. But there we go.

I've never been a Southgate fan. 2018 was fun but I maintain we'd have got to the final and maybe won in with Sam in charge.

International football is right up BwfcI's alley. It's all about defending well, maximising set pieces, and going your country produces a striker.

The bonus is all the other managers are shite too so we've still got a chance. France by far the best set of individuals, we're joint second for me with Belgium and Portugal.
Southgates shit. A massive fraud. I entirely agree Big Sam would have done better in what was a weak tournament. But Gareth is going to dine out on that one glorious failure now forever. He’s no Sir Bobby that’s for sure.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 am

'Gareth Southgate has vowed to select England players on form', and he's been vowing to do this since 2016. So how come then Pickford's in and Lingard isn't?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:56 am
'Gareth Southgate has vowed to select England players on form', and he's been vowing to do this since 2016. So how come then Pickford's in and Lingard isn't?
What's Jordan Henderson's recent form like too?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:33 am
Add Sterling to that list.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yes good point. If we're talking form there is no justification for Raheem to be there at all. I'd not have taken him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yes good point. If we're talking form there is no justification for Raheem to be there at all. I'd not have taken him.
And similarly, if Southgate was going with form then might Ollie Watkins not feel justifiably miffed?