Will Hill thrill us at the Millers? Rotherham (A) Sat 14 Sep, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Will Hill thrill us at the Millers? Rotherham (A) Sat 14 Sep, 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:16 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:11 pm
Unfortunate this is a week where we play midweek. Most of the new guys will surely need a week of recovery. A number of the kids might be required Tuesday...
Dread to think what the score is going to be. I don't think many will get a rest as they need match practice.
We need a striker playing soon as it's killing the team with no target man/men.
Have to say with six scored against us today, (plus all the rest) a target man doesn't quite seem the main requirement as opposed to defenders who can well, er, defend!
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 pm
DJBlu wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Unfortunate this is a week where we play midweek. Most of the new guys will surely need a week of recovery. A number of the kids might be required Tuesday...
Dread to think what the score is going to be. I don't think many will get a rest as they need match practice.
Have to say with six scored against us today, (plus all the rest) a target man doesn't quite seem the main requirement as opposed to defenders who can well, er, defend!
It wasn't sticking up top, there was no relief for the admittedly poor defence.

We will need to start keeping the ball higher up the pitch.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:28 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:13 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:47 pm
DJBlu wrote:
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
It wasn't sticking up top, there was no relief for the admittedly poor defence.

We will need to start keeping the ball higher up the pitch.
Yup. Every time the ball came anywhere near our back four, Hobbs damn near fell over himself in fear. The full backs weren't out quick enough to stop the crosses. But whenever we managed to get rid, we found a front three totally unable to hold onto it. For all their technical ability, none of Crawford, Verlinden, Politic, Darcy or Emmanuel are strong or savvy enough to hold it up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:16 pm

It was the most likely outcome. A team of unwanted strangers thrown together were likely to take some beatings. And thus it happened.

I will say there was some naivety on display today. Leaving full backs exposed having a midfield press so high up the pitch with no cover. Leaving three up front first half as we were overrun.

The naivety can’t continue. This is a league where you need a team that grafts and grinds it’s results out. We played completely open football today and that was the result.

Sure fitness and familiarity are not on our side.

But FFS don’t setup like that again. At least get men behind the ball and try and get into the game.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Hopefully we'll hear from Hill about Murphy and O Grady in terms of when they'll be playing.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:42 pm

A bit of positivity. We had a good first 5 minutes and the fans celebrated like we had won the FA Cup :) On the rest of the game, lets just say there is a lot of work to be done. I'm looking forward to League 2!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:23 pm
Hmmmmmm

Didn’t expect to win but another bumming, not good.
This is what I was thinking. Expected a defeat. All the optimism apart, no way was this ragtag bunch going to hit the ground running. Was expecting a hard working defeat with some glimmers of hope. Wasn't there but sounds like we have literally no hope of staying up. Have to look for improvement, squad building and a strong 2nd half to the season to give hope for a league 2 promotion push.
We're effectively where everyone else was in early July preparation wise. And 16 points away from safety. I think really we have 38 pre season games now!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:19 pm

I will say it concerns me that Hill thought leaving Lowe out was a good idea. You can’t leave a seasoned pro out in these circumstances.

I do worry how naive he might be. It’s a huge ask to get results quickly but youngsters showed you can dig in and defend and have the right shape. Today we had none of that and in my view set up like Man City or Liverpool which was somewhat ludicrous. Give it time. But we need to box clever whilst we get there.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:21 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:16 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:23 pm
Hmmmmmm

Didn’t expect to win but another bumming, not good.
This is what I was thinking. Expected a defeat. All the optimism apart, no way was this ragtag bunch going to hit the ground running. Was expecting a hard working defeat with some glimmers of hope. Wasn't there but sounds like we have literally no hope of staying up. Have to look for improvement, squad building and a strong 2nd half to the season to give hope for a league 2 promotion push.
We're effectively where everyone else was in early July preparation wise. And 16 points away from safety. I think really we have 38 pre season games now!
We'll beat Oxford on Tuesday and all will be well again.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:28 pm

At least Keith Hill doesn't seem too disturbed by the bad start according to B.N. He knows we have a fight ahead and seems up for it. Heartening.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Today was the first game I've missed this season and admit feeling when we went 1 up, that I may have inherited the poisoned away day chalice from LE. Apparently not! I think we have to write off at least the next 5-6 games, possibly more, whilst we get some semblance of a team together. At least League 2 will give us a few new grounds to visit.

All of the above said, Oxford and Sunderland tickets were purchased today, so onwards and upwards!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:47 pm

I think the fan attitude has to be that relegation is happening, and any improvement between now and then should be a bonus and applauded.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:31 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:47 pm
I think the fan attitude has to be that relegation is happening, and any improvement between now and then should be a bonus and applauded.
I'd agree with that. Personally, I don't want us to set up to be hard to beat whilst offering nothing at the other end. We've had two seasons of that. It might take time for Hill to stamp his style and authority on the side but I can wait.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:16 pm
It was the most likely outcome. A team of unwanted strangers thrown together were likely to take some beatings. And thus it happened.

I will say there was some naivety on display today. Leaving full backs exposed having a midfield press so high up the pitch with no cover. Leaving three up front first half as we were overrun.

The naivety can’t continue. This is a league where you need a team that grafts and grinds it’s results out. We played completely open football today and that was the result.

Sure fitness and familiarity are not on our side.

But FFS don’t setup like that again. At least get men behind the ball and try and get into the game.

As I think you very wisely said a week or so ago - the manager is going to need us to have bags of patience and support through tricky days to come - and he should have it.

I think this was basically the start if our pre-season - and pre-seasons mean nowt!

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:46 am

Rome wasn't built in a day. Not yet believing that we are already relegated. A few more matches for the players to bed in then lets see what we are made of.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:23 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:19 pm
I will say it concerns me that Hill thought leaving Lowe out was a good idea. You can’t leave a seasoned pro out in these circumstances.
The game was a write off before a ball was kicked. I don't believe Keith thought we'd get humped but I also expect that he isn't naive.

We have a game on Tuesday and with seasoned pros as you call it we'll have a better chance of getting something out of the game. Rotherham aren't going to be in the bottom 4 or 5 come the end of the season regardless of how they've started.

Got to pick the fights. I think we'll see a few changes.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:31 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
I'd agree with that. Personally, I don't want us to set up to be hard to beat whilst offering nothing at the other end. We've had two seasons of that. It might take time for Hill to stamp his style and authority on the side but I can wait.
There is absolutely no point in setting up to get beat 5 and 6 nil week after week. Whilst players are acclimatising and getting fit we need to find a way to limit the damage at least. Get Lowe and Bridcutt in as holding players and try to screen the back four. Sit deeper. No point just opening up and taking beatings for no reason.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:02 am

If we only have 2 x squad places left, we should use them on a CB (to replace Hobbs, who's just too slow at everything he does) and a fit striker. I didn't go today, but as soon as I saw the team sheet with no D Murphy or O'Grady playing (therefore without a recognised striker) I knew that we would lose, however I never envisaged losing by 6.

From speaking to a few who went last night, fingers were mainly being pointed at Matthews, L Murphy & Hobbs....players still possibly scarred from last season, personally I don't think any of those three are good enough even for League 1. They also said that Chicksen was awful as well, but that's understandable given that he only apparently signed on Friday ?.

A lot of hard work ahead for KH, he needs to find a system that works with the players he's brought in, its his team now....and he needs to bring in another centre back & striker ASAP.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
There is absolutely no point in setting up to get beat 5 and 6 nil week after week. Whilst players are acclimatising and getting fit we need to find a way to limit the damage at least. Get Lowe and Bridcutt in as holding players and try to screen the back four. Sit deeper. No point just opening up and taking beatings for no reason.
Agreed but then I don't see the point in sticking 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes in the usual vain hope we might get a goalless draw. Hill has a reputation for attacking sides, I'm sure that's what he'll try to build.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:03 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
Agreed but then I don't see the point in sticking 11 men behind the ball for 90 minutes in the usual vain hope we might get a goalless draw. Hill has a reputation for attacking sides, I'm sure that's what he'll try to build.
This.

1 game in. Let's see what tomorrow brings.