Will Hill thrill us at the Millers? Rotherham (A) Sat 14 Sep, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Will Hill thrill us at the Millers? Rotherham (A) Sat 14 Sep, 3pm

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:12 am
Also, I’m absolutely giving Hill 18 months regardless but his post match comments have somewhat scared me. He’s talking a bit like Coyle did. What we don’t need now is a project. Or a philosophy. What we need is to find a way to be competitive in games ASAP. Restore some pride. Get us looking forward to a game again where we might realistically, lose win or draw. We’ve begged and borrowed a squad this isn’t about a long term build or philosophy. We need to have pragmatism. The kids showed against Coventry there are ways of grinding out results even when you are limited in many ways. We need that sort of organisation and fighting spirit now. Not being told that 6-1 defeats are wins so long as we try and play the right way...

Hill is experienced and knows what he’s doing but less about philosophy and more about a short term approach to getting up to speed is what I’m looking for. The fancy stuff can wait till we have a base on which to build.
Not a cat in hells chance, if there isn't any significant improvement by season end latest, Hill can go do one, we don't need any more managers running well past their sell by dates leaving a deeper pile of turds to be removed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:30 am

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 am
He comes across like an absolute fruitcake in that post match interview.
Rochdale fans did say he had a particularly odd style in interviews, better get used to it.
To be fair, I used to cringe when Allardyce gave post match interviews.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Also, I’m absolutely giving Hill 18 months regardless but his post match comments have somewhat scared me. He’s talking a bit like Coyle did. What we don’t need now is a project. Or a philosophy. What we need is to find a way to be competitive in games ASAP. Restore some pride. Get us looking forward to a game again where we might realistically, lose win or draw. We’ve begged and borrowed a squad this isn’t about a long term build or philosophy. We need to have pragmatism. The kids showed against Coventry there are ways of grinding out results even when you are limited in many ways. We need that sort of organisation and fighting spirit now. Not being told that 6-1 defeats are wins so long as we try and play the right way...

Hill is experienced and knows what he’s doing but less about philosophy and more about a short term approach to getting up to speed is what I’m looking for. The fancy stuff can wait till we have a base on which to build.
He did come across as a mentalist in that interview.

I'm gonna see how things go these next 2 home games in terms of approach and tactics.

Hopefully Murphy is fit.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:48 am

Watching the high (low) lights, and the goals, there seemed an almost casual arrogance about theirs. It looked all too easy and our rather pathetic performances in our own box really need a grip getting of. Easy to talk, granted, but I really can't see the fans forgiving many more losses where the opponents goals are so easily gained. Early days, granted, but it's Division One we're now in, not the Premier League. This was Sunday afternoon on Moss Bank or Queens Park level football, maybe not even that. "Clever" marking may well look good in books on tactics, but fast hassling and challenging from a fit, energetic team is surely what we need. Oh, and a goal or two maybe....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:49 am

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:55 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not a cat in hells chance, if there isn't any significant improvement by season end latest, Hill can go do one, we don't need any more managers running well past their sell by dates leaving a deeper pile of turds to be removed.
18 months - never !, I suspect that he'll get cut some slack by the fans until around January, but if we are still getting dicked every week with no signs of improvement on the pitch, knowing our fans they will turn.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:56 am

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

What would you class as significant improvement out of interest? Staying up is a pipe dream right now, so not losing by 5 each match and winning/drawing a few matches?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:39 pm

I'm torn on this. Accepting we're down and giving Hill plenty of time to stamp his vision and philosophy around the club. If that means a few more hammerings along the way I could live with it.

On the other hand, I can see the argument for just making us dour and workmanlike, picking up the odd point along the way and for us to evolve and improve in each transfer window.

Either approach requires our patience and please God at the end of it we find we've hired the right man and not another Coyle or Freedman 《shudders》
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:09 pm

Looking purely at the highlights, most of the goals seem to be down Hobbs / Wright not dealing with basic balls into the box, or getting close enough to their centre forwards?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:25 pm

We have a huge gap in points to catch the team above the relegation point (14pts).

Not seeing how making us hard to beat and playing dour football the PP way will make up that gap unless we believe that 0-0 and squeezing out the rare win is more acceptable for the rest of the season rather than taking heavy losses in a few games as we work on getting the team to play the managers way towards being able to challenge the best in the league.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 am
He comes across like an absolute fruitcake in that post match interview.
Just watched it and I thought the opposite. Seemed to know what he wants to do and is very focused on getting the players fit and buying into his philosophy. Prepared to get some knocks along the way.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:40 pm

My twopenneth - the remainder of this season is nowt more than an extended pre-season for next year in League Two. Being dour, craggy, grinding out points here and there isn't going to keep us up, nor will it keep the fans onside. However, laying us out as a vast work in progress, setting the stall out for how we want to play, that may well keep fans onside as well as gaining new ones. I'd rather the latter than the former.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:02 pm

I wonder if 3-5-2 would suit our squad better?

Wright and Hobbs wouldn't be as exposed, we already have attacking full backs, and we could play two smaller guys up front, or when the strikers are fit, give them some support given they are older and have missed some training?

Something like:

Matthews

Lowe / Brockbank
Hobbs
Wright

Emmanuel
Bridcutt
Murphy/Lowe
Crawford
Chicksen

Politic/Verlinden
O'Grady/Murphy/Verlinden/Politic

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:26 pm

3 at the back would leave them more exposed, not less (or at least the one who'd have to play wide) as Mark Beevers proved manfully in the last part of the year we came up. And we've only *got* two strikers. Can't just ask wingers to play up front. Difference of playing back to goal is huge. It's a no from me.

We've also just put together almost a whole squad based on 4-3-3. We're not chucking that after 1 game. We're miles behind fitness wise. It'll take time before we're competitive. I'd hope that's the last time we get beat by 5 for a while though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:56 am
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

What would you class as significant improvement out of interest? Staying up is a pipe dream right now, so not losing by 5 each match and winning/drawing a few matches?
Exactomundo, looking at seasons end we mean some business in the lower league.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:11 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:02 pm
I wonder if 3-5-2 would suit our squad better?
Just a thought, but what format do the teams we're getting walloped by, play? What did Rotherham use to put six past us so easily? I mean, man for man are our opponents 4,5,6 goals better than we are? Is it individual skills or just better team organisation ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:55 pm

The rest of the season is not a pre season. We only have what one player who is contracted to be here next season? Most are short term loans or deals.

We aren’t building a side for the longer term. It’s about getting some results this season.
Restoring some pride. Showing some hope for the longer term. We’ve just lost 4 league games in a row by 5 goals. That cannot continue. Morale has been ok amongst fans but will dip quickly if we, having signed some senior players are thumped still on a weekly basis.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:27 pm

I've never watched an interview with him before he joined up but I've got to say I've just gone to see what you're all talking about and I've rarely heard such rambling nonsense. I literally couldn't watch it. But I never watch them anyway so that's fine by me. If he galvanises people and gets them scrapping and playing then great. I thought his appointment made sense and I'm interested to see what happens. Could see us still being sub zero by the next transfer window but they need to be competitive after that, give us some sort of base and fans some belief for next season.