Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Today I'm angry about.....

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm

The Sun’s story about Ben Stokes. In no way is it in the public interest. In no way is it relevant. They’re happy to damage the lives of his family members to flog a few more papers. I’m glad to see it being so widely condemned.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm
The Sun’s story about Ben Stokes. In no way is it in the public interest. In no way is it relevant. They’re happy to damage the lives of his family members to flog a few more papers. I’m glad to see it being so widely condemned.
Sadly people will shrug and keep buying that trash though.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:31 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:03 pm
jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:01 pm
Sadly people will shrug and keep buying that trash though.
You’d hope even the feckwits who do buy it would have an accurate enough moral compass to see this is beyond the pale.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Yep, even in 2019 I'm shocked by the depths those scumbags will plumb. Voyeuristic wankers.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:03 pm

4ucking big fat lot of good the Leveson Inquiry did then?! :roll:

What absolute c*nts!

Sadly though, I guess many will do /have done what I did.

Having read Stokes's statement - gone straight to The Sun's site to see what it's all about.

Must say though, nothing had quite prepared me for the depths they'd plumbed to rake-up that.

c*nts!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:03 pm

What absolute c*nts!

Having read Stokes's statement - gone straight to The Sun's site to see what it's all about.

Must say though, nothing had quite prepared me for the depths they'd plumbed to rake-up that.

c*nts!
That was my thought yesterday when Gareth Thomas was forced to confirm his HIV because a tabloid journalist was going to publish a story about it.

They should be naming and shaming these scummy journos and the rags they work for.

What did the Sun story allude to in this instance? Seems they may have responded to the backlash because there's no mention of it on their website now
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:02 pm

That was my thought yesterday when Gareth Thomas was forced to confirm his HIV because a tabloid journalist was going to publish a story about it.

They should be naming and shaming these scummy journos and the rags they work for.
Now that would be worth a read. All those lily-white, no sin, stone chuckers having their private, personal lives investigated and the details published. "Let he (she) who is without sin" etc. Bring it on, I'll buy a copy......Add in the paparazzi who crawl about from under their stones pointing cameras up women's skirts and making "revelations" about the lowest form of life garbage they earn money for.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:42 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:02 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:03 pm

What absolute c*nts!

c*nts!

What did the Sun story allude to in this instance? Seems they may have responded to the backlash because there's no mention of it on their website now
Essentially it was a tragic family event that occurred 3 years before Stokes was born that has been kept really private all his life. The event is horrific but not at all in the public interest, and as I say, was before he was born so it’s publication affects his mum more than him.

I’d be surprised if the Sun have deleted the article as they released a statement earlier justifying its publication saying it’s a matter of public record for anyone to find out (yeah, we’re all scouring New Zealand historic court records and newspapers from 30yrs ago aren’t we?).

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:45 pm

I think this one has pissed me off more than most to be honest. At least with their usual gutter journalism shit they can cling to a rough narrative of ‘well respected celebrity X is actually not all you think because they’ve done Y’ but this is just utterly unjustifiable dragging up of a family’s past that isn’t relevant at all now.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Oh. There we go. The fact that a journalist told Gareth thomas’ parents about his HIV diagnosis tops it. Extraordinary.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Would seem The Guardian is no better with the loss of David Cameron’s son being described as ‘privileged pain’. Some pretty stupid, thoughtless journos out there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:19 pm

jimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 pm
Oh. There we go. The fact that a journalist told Gareth thomas’ parents about his HIV diagnosis tops it. Extraordinary.
Just reading it. Absolute vile scum.

Why would anybody do that? It won't sell more papers, the public interest isn't being served in any way.

Just spiteful, vile c*nts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49739345

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:09 pm
Would seem The Guardian is no better with the loss of David Cameron’s son being described as ‘privileged pain’. Some pretty stupid, thoughtless journos out there.
Absolutely right, GG. However, at least the Guardian then had the 'decency' to withdraw the piece and issue an apology. Unlike, of course, the Sun who are standing by their articles and even had some mouth-breather on the radio last night banging on about how the freedom of the press is somehow sacrosanct.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
That was trying to make a political point out of his son dying. It was pretty fecking misguided and heartless, but I can see some sort of logical thought process behind it which I can’t with the Edwards and Stokes ones.

Edit- and as Bruce says they had the decency to accept it was wrong and apologise rather than defending their initial story.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:23 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Absolutely right, GG. However, at least the Guardian then had the 'decency' to withdraw the piece and issue an apology. Unlike, of course, the Sun who are standing by their articles and even had some mouth-breather on the radio last night banging on about how the freedom of the press is somehow sacrosanct.
I heard someone from the Sun describing it as ‘faux outrage’ today. They really don’t see it do they?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm

Does the word "privacy" actually have any current value or is it just a yesterday word gradually being consigned to historical archives? By even asking the question on an internet forum, lack of it lays the questioner open to attack by nameless,faceless trolls who crawl out from under stones and spend their days spreading malevolent abuse as a reason to be alive.

How many marriages/relationships, businesses etc have been wrecked by I-spy "disclosures, revelations" etc in the name of journalism under that banner of truth and justice "The public have a right to know". They don't in such cases and, as Bruce said, the public interest isn't being served in any useful way except gossip and spite. In truth, the Sxn has been at this stuff for years and ....oh, better not say or I might be on Page One's headline tomorrow as " Geriatric football fan's secret life as an Irish ballet dancer "
I'd laugh if any of it was funny.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:22 pm

I thought you bought it?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:22 pm
Oh, hello.....Yep, that's me, at least I'm honest about it. . I have a right to know...don't you know.? :|
(I just read the sports bits as the wife likes the crossword and puzzles section and I read the general news online, even the B.N. What else she reads is her business.) I doesn't make any better reading wherever you read it, the issue is the topic, not the fish and chip wrapping. It isn't any more savoury in the Guardian and the fish and chips don't taste any better either. Have a nice day.... :wink:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Oh, hello.....Yep, that's me, at least I'm honest about it. . I have a right to know...don't you know.? :|
(I just read the sports bits as the wife likes the crossword and puzzles section and I read the general news online, even the B.N. What else she reads is her business.) I doesn't make any better reading wherever you read it, the issue is the topic, not the fish and chip wrapping. It isn't any more savoury in the Guardian and the fish and chips don't taste any better either. Have a nice day.... :wink:
Then you're part of the problem TD. As long as folk keep buying it they'll keep printing tripe because 'it's what our readers want'

:|
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:03 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Then you're part of the problem TD. As long as folk keep buying it they'll keep printing tripe because 'it's what our readers want'

:|
Aye, okay.