Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:16 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:12 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am
Although I will add he was very unlucky and shouldn't be criticised in any way for that.
Just seen Hill's comments. Gone from happy-clappy 'the score doesn't matter' to publicly slagging off a young player for a debatable mistake.
Great that he's got them playing but I really need to avoid listening to or reading anything he says.

He had a few things to say on Friday about our young players spending too much time training in the gym rather than with a football which made me raise an eyebrow. He might've been right but I doubt what he said went down well with the Academy coaches, and I thought at the time that it would've been better to keep those kinds of opinions in-house.

I think we might just have to accept that it's how he is, but I do wish he'd learn to temper his comments a bit, if for no other reason than it reduces the risk of them affecting the good work he's doing.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Jack fell down and Hill came tumbling after. Sunderland @ Home. 21/09/2019 3pm

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:04 pm
I personally disagree with giving Zouma a free pass on this one. Me and my mate said when Zouma came on that he's got a mistake in him. He needs to sort that stuff out and be more consistent. Apparently, he was error-strewn for the U23s as well. I've also read that Hill blasted him for not being ready to come on when he was called upon.
By all means blast him in private. Not publicly though at this stage, especially when you are rattling on interminably about the feelgood factor etc etc.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:48 pm

Maybe. But you also need to temper it with the fact that we were leading 1-0 going into injury time and Hill was probably expecting the 3 points ... and then that happened. High emotions and all that.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Jugs wrote:
I personally disagree with giving Zouma a free pass on this one. Me and my mate said when Zouma came on that he's got a mistake in him. He needs to sort that stuff out and be more consistent. Apparently, he was error-strewn for the U23s as well. I've also read that Hill blasted him for not being ready to come on when he was called upon.
Zouma has been making me and my brother nervous for a while now. When he came on we both said the same thing and it came to pass. Ah well, hopefully he grows.

On the point of relegation and starting proper in League 2 next season, my worry is how many of this first XI would stay for that? Brilliant we've been able to build a team from nothing and hit the ground running so quickly - but can we do it again if we drop a league?

Still, let's give it a bloody good go, ey?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:20 pm
Jugs wrote:
By all means blast him in private. Not publicly though at this stage, especially when you are rattling on interminably about the feelgood factor etc etc.
Who's to say he didn't?
We don't know how Zouma reacted.

The result was irrelevant, I think the frustration came due to lack of concentration from whistle to whistle.

It's a mistake that's let the side down and the players need to know this. The young lads were magnificent in the games from the start of the season however they were given the benefit of the doubt. If they are to fight for a position they need to know what the score is early on.

He's a big lad who I'm sure can take it, it's a tough league and we need tough characters, top to bottom.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:58 pm

So anyway, handball aside, the things I took from yesterday are that, once fit, and once we get a centre forward up top, we actually have the makings of a very decent side here. I'd like us to cut out the individual errors, but what I also noted is that we;re playing at a level at which you get away with them most of the time. I'm encouraged that Matthews has been instructed to roll it out from the back or at the very least find a white shirt with it. For as far back as I can remember our keepers have twatted it down to the other side's centre backs (with the exception of old Toblerone boots Jaaskelainen who'd nice person it into touch more often than not). I see also that we've narrowed the pitch, thus encouraging technical ability. All I need now is for Mr Hill to have a cup of tea and collect his thoughts rationally after full-time rather than spouting shite in his post match interviews. As has been said, a point yesterday is a good point, but yeah, I'm still smarting about that decision ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Zouma does have a mistake in him but in his appearances so far he's also made several blocks, headers and last ditch challenges that others may not have made. If he didn't have the odd mistake in him he wouldn't currently be playing at our level.

That said, the incident yesterday could have happened to anyone, experienced or otherwise and I'm surprised he's been publicly criticised. Hopefully he comes out the other side an even better player. It's likely he'll be starting at Portsmouth so let's hope so
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:58 pm
I'm encouraged that Matthews has been instructed to roll it out from the back or at the very least find a white shirt with it. For as far back as I can remember our keepers have twatted it down to the other side's centre backs
Agree with that. Hobbs, who I'd originally seen as a cut price Beevers, looks remarkably composed on the ball which must be at least partly down to Bridcutt et al all looking to receive it. At one point yesterday, I was having kittens as Hobbs and Chicksen passed the ball to each other between Sunderland's attackers. It'll take some getting use to after last few years but I like it!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:17 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:15 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:20 pm
Jugs wrote:
Who's to say he didn't?
We don't know how Zouma reacted.

The result was irrelevant, I think the frustration came due to lack of concentration from whistle to whistle.

It's a mistake that's let the side down and the players need to know this. The young lads were magnificent in the games from the start of the season however they were given the benefit of the doubt. If they are to fight for a position they need to know what the score is early on.

He's a big lad who I'm sure can take it, it's a tough league and we need tough characters, top to bottom.

I think the issue is that it shouldn't be done publicly. Whatever the rights and wrongs, criticising players in public rarely ends well.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Also, Bridcutt was outstanding I thought. Proper Rolls Royce of a player, I'm amazed we have him.

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:32 pm

My question is, when Murphy is fit, who gets dropped? Obviously he has to replace Buckley up top, but I wouldn't necessarily want to lose him from the team (who'd have thunk it). Nice problem to have.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Branagan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:32 pm
My question is, when Murphy is fit, who gets dropped? Obviously he has to replace Buckley up top, but I wouldn't necessarily want to lose him from the team (who'd have thunk it). Nice problem to have.
I think it's going to be Politic who will rotate with Crawford.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I see also that we've narrowed the pitch, thus encouraging technical ability.
Interesting, good spot - but AFAIK you can't do that mid-season, you have to do it beforehand. Which (if true) means it must've been Parky's say?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Interesting, good spot - but AFAIK you can't do that mid-season, you have to do it beforehand. Which (if true) means it must've been Parky's say?
Well, I did wonder that. Yesterday was my first visit to the Bok this season, so I was wondering when it was done. It's a good two or three metres narrower on either side, and it looks shorter too.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Branagan wrote:
Has Murphy ever shown enough to waltz straight back in?

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:53 pm
Branagan wrote:
Meant Daryl.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:06 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:20 pm
Also, Bridcutt was outstanding I thought. Proper Rolls Royce of a player, I'm amazed we have him.

He's similar to Olkowski in that it feels as if something must've gone wrong somewhere for him to have ended up here.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Branagan wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:03 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:53 pm
Branagan wrote:
Meant Daryl.
Ah, sorry. I'd forgotten about that one. ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:10 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:06 pm
Jugs wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:20 pm

He's similar to Olkowski in that it feels as if something must've gone wrong somewhere for him to have ended up here.
Exactly what I thought when Olkowski first turned up. Didn't take Parky that long to drag him down to the same level as the rest though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:51 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well, I did wonder that. Yesterday was my first visit to the Bok this season, so I was wondering when it was done. It's a good two or three metres narrower on either side, and it looks shorter too.
And if you're wanting teams to play technically you'd also make it bigger, not smaller!

So boo to long ball Parky!!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.