Diving Arsenal Players - The Least Shocking Admission Ever

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Diving Arsenal Players - The Least Shocking Admission Ever

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
This Emirates Cup everyone has been taking the piss out of them for years for pretending it's a proper trophy, didn't realise quite how tinpot it is.

Arsenal and Sevilla both played two games, Arsenal won one, and lost one (to Sevilla). Sevilla won both their games. Guess who won the trophy?
Haha! Was talking to Bruce in the pub about that last night. Won on more goals scored. Someone on the radio described lifting that trophy as 'The most arsenal thing ever'.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:12 pm
This Emirates Cup everyone has been taking the piss out of them for years for pretending it's a proper trophy, didn't realise quite how tinpot it is.

Arsenal and Sevilla both played two games, Arsenal won one, and lost one (to Sevilla). Sevilla won both their games. Guess who won the trophy?
Haha! Was talking to Bruce in the pub about that last night. Won on more goals scored. Someone on the radio described lifting that trophy as 'The most arsenal thing ever'.
Oh I do hope that they go for an open-top bus parade. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Thought I’d revive this thread with the very annoying name given it’s not been posted on for several years. I was tempted to start a new one with a better name :wink:

Took my twins to the first home match of the season today. Beat Burnley (not hugely convincingly) 2-1. New loan lad, Ceballos, had a very good home debut and I think Pepe will be great working with Auba and Lacazette in an attacking role but our defence looks shaky still. Yes, we have Tierney to come in and Holding and Bellerin to come back but I think we are missing a player of Vieras quality to sit in front of and protect our back 4. Emery’s insistence of playing the ball out along the floor from Leno could come unstuck against better teams to I suspect.

Interested to read what others think about Arsenal’s chances this season? I think we had a good transfer window and I’d hope we make top 4 and perhaps a cup final but I can’t see us troubling City or Liverpool sadly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm

After nicking Rob Holding off of us for a derisory amount, you can hide (some) of your shame by loaning him back to us as part of his rehab. :)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm
After nicking Rob Holding off of us for a derisory amount, you can hide (some) of your shame by loaning him back to us as part of his rehab. :)
Our need is nearly as great as yours at the back but you can have Mustafi on a free if you like?! ;)

I’m hoping this is Holdings season. He was looking really good before he got injured and he’s a gooner hero now for refusing to sign a spurs shirt offered to him pre season!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:11 pm

Good to see Holding back again last night with a goal and the captains armband for a bit no less. He was playing really well for us before he was injured and he should easily now command a place every week owing to the fact his ‘competition’ is so crap that there were calls from fans for a statue of Martinez outside the ground for managing to keep a clean sheet with Luiz and Mustafi in front of him last night.😂😩 but what I’d like further opinions on is whether he would be a good choice as first team captain? Currently it’s been mostly Xhaka who’s not been brilliant but we don’t have loads of choice... I know he was very young when he left Bolton but do you think he is captaincy material?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:11 pm
Good to see Holding back again last night with a goal and the captains armband for a bit no less. He was playing really well for us before he was injured and he should easily now command a place every week owing to the fact his ‘competition’ is so crap that there were calls from fans for a statue of Martinez outside the ground for managing to keep a clean sheet with Luiz and Mustafi in front of him last night.😂😩 but what I’d like further opinions on is whether he would be a good choice as first team captain? Currently it’s been mostly Xhaka who’s not been brilliant but we don’t have loads of choice... I know he was very young when he left Bolton but do you think he is captaincy material?
Too soon to say yet imo but if he gets a run of first team games this season and cements his place in the side, then why not? Personally, I prefer my captains to be centre halves but the best sides generally have leaders all over the pitch. The fact you see Holding, just back from injury and still quite young, as a possible captain perhaps indicates one of Arsenals current problems.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:19 am

Gooner Girl wrote:

More importantly, are we due any more cash from future events, eg England cap, PL title :crazy: or did slippery Ken take a cut price, up front payment and screw us over?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Too soon to say yet imo but if he gets a run of first team games this season and cements his place in the side, then why not? Personally, I prefer my captains to be centre halves but the best sides generally have leaders all over the pitch. The fact you see Holding, just back from injury and still quite young, as a possible captain perhaps indicates one of Arsenals current problems.
I wouldn’t disagree. We really don’t have an obvious captain in the side I don’t think. There’s no Tony Adams or Patrick Vieira style leader. Previously Emery has rotated the captaincy around and I suspect that’s what he will do this season too. I guess partly because at the moment our only guaranteed starters have been Aubameyang and Leno. I’d hope Holding would be one of those captains.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:19 am
Gooner Girl wrote:

More importantly, are we due any more cash from future events, eg England cap, PL title :crazy: or did slippery Ken take a cut price, up front payment and screw us over?
You won’t be getting any from possible trophy wins any time soon, that’s for sure!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:37 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:19 am
Gooner Girl wrote:

You won’t be getting any from possible trophy wins any time soon, that’s for sure!
I didn't claim that we would. Then again, we don't celebrate finishing 4th, or win trophies even when we lose! :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 am

Should have been clauses dependent on Arsenal winning the Emirates Cup.

Think we sold all our additional clauses, on the cheap, some time ago. Delighted for Holding though, watched the game on Tues and had a little cheer when he scored. Always seemed to have a v mature head on his shoulders.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:47 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 am

Think we sold all our additional clauses, on the cheap, some time ago. Delighted for Holding though, watched the game on Tues and had a little cheer when he scored. Always seemed to have a v mature head on his shoulders.

That's as i thought. Cnut! That's Anderson, not you Pru! :mrgreen:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:04 am

You'd still be skint then!

That's what I thought re him too. Seems a sensible sort unlike Xhaka who's always at risk of a sending off or Ozil who's head goes down to easily when things don't go his way. Anyway, apparently the players get a say and they've had a ballot on it which is an interesting way of doing things...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm

Do you not even win that anymore? You and Spurs should've clubbed together for a shared trophy cabinet somewhere around Seven Sisters.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:46 pm
Do you not even win that anymore? You and Spurs should've clubbed together for a shared trophy cabinet somewhere around Seven Sisters.
Hey, hey, hey! Don’t lump us in with spurs Pru! :shock: :whack: Our cabinet is far fuller then theirs is! We do at least have past glories to live on!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:28 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
I do find all this talk of Holding in glowing terms to be mildly amusing. Your poster boy, Piers Morgan, was on the wireless earlier saying how the return of Holding will help sure up your defence. Only, it's not that long ago that you lot were using the signing of Holding from us as a further stick to beat Wenger with. ;)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:28 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
I do find all this talk of Holding in glowing terms to be mildly amusing. Your poster boy, Piers Morgan, was on the wireless earlier saying how the return of Holding will help sure up your defence. Only, it's not that long ago that you lot were using the signing of Holding from us as a further stick to beat Wenger with. ;)
Have you seen our defence lately? Get your boots and get down The Emirates and you'll get a game at centre back Bruce! It's not that Holding is amazing, just in comparison to the rest...

And please, Piers Morgan, poster boy?! The most embarrassing fan our club has! :oops:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:47 pm

Oh, and Xhakas been given the armband... Apparently he got a set of house keys before his big brother did so clearly captain material... Sadly that means we will have to play him every week.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:42 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:28 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Have you seen our defence lately? Get your boots and get down The Emirates and you'll get a game at centre back Bruce! It's not that Holding is amazing, just in comparison to the rest...

And please, Piers Morgan, poster boy?! The most embarrassing fan our club has! :oops:
To be honest, with all that's been going on at our place I've seen precious little other footie, but I hear that you're not currently great at the back. I'm sure you haven't seen anything like the best of Holding yet, my concern is though if he starts getting dragged out of position to cover the shortcomings of others.

Apols for the Morgan remark ;) He didn't do the credibility of your club any favours this morning, but then who'd expect anything else?!