Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:57 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:46 am
I's a two sided coin. We're not exactly the land of milk and honey as a fairground attraction right now, more a free ticket to the big dipper (Remember the Bobs at Belle Vue?) In the true nature of ambition, even the most mundane of players always seek the Grail road to glory. A striker will never admit they are what they are and will always be waiting for the purple-patch, the grand opportunity,the golden goose to land. I can well see Hill's dilemma when he already has strikers that only injury are keeping out and none want to sign up for what they must see as a future-less opportunity this season, with relegation a distinct possibility. Hill must be as frustrated as we are. Who wants goldfish and coconuts when Rolex watches and Daimlers are in view? Patience and hope are all we have and compared to a couple of months ago our grass is pretty green. :oyea:
Bloody hell is this Keith Hill himself....?, very Cantona !

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am

Iles: "Keith Hill says Daryl Murphy and Chris O'Grady now closing in on a first team return for #bwfc. Not clear whether that will be in time for Pompey. Jake Wright out with a hamstring strain."

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:00 am
Iles: "Keith Hill says Daryl Murphy and Chris O'Grady now closing in on a first team return for #bwfc. Not clear whether that will be in time for Pompey. Jake Wright out with a hamstring strain."
"Return"??
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:57 am

Iles says Wanderers “are actively looking to bring in a defender as cover but have not, as yet, found any suitable candidates.” Hill: “It’s an area I would like to reinforce but at the moment we can’t. I’m not bellyaching. We’re just going to make the most of it.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ortsmouth/

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am

Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:57 am
Iles says Wanderers “are actively looking to bring in a defender as cover but have not, as yet, found any suitable candidates.” Hill: “It’s an area I would like to reinforce but at the moment we can’t. I’m not bellyaching. We’re just going to make the most of it.”

Find it hard to believe we couldn't find some defensive cover. Guess the bigger issue is whether said cover is fit enough and whether we can agree a deal within our constraints. For me its a big shame Edwards is injured.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am

Find it hard to believe we couldn't find some defensive cover. Guess the bigger issue is whether said cover is fit enough and whether we can agree a deal within our constraints. For me its a big shame Edwards is injured.
I mean they could hire me, I've ended up playing centre-back. As you've said yourself, Insano, it's not as easy as snapping your fingers. I'm sure there are players available, but maybe they're not fit enough, good enough or - considering squad cap - versatile enough. It would be mad to use a precious space on a one-position player when the squad depth dictates we're only ever an injury away from problems. What if Bridcutt pulls up lame? Or Matthews gets a three-match suspension and Alnwick's not ready?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:25 am

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:11 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am

I mean they could hire me, I've ended up playing centre-back. As you've said yourself, Insano, it's not as easy as snapping your fingers. I'm sure there are players available, but maybe they're not fit enough, good enough or - considering squad cap - versatile enough. It would be mad to use a precious space on a one-position player when the squad depth dictates we're only ever an injury away from problems. What if Bridcutt pulls up lame? Or Matthews gets a three-match suspension and Alnwick's not ready?
Oh I totally agree. I'm unconvinced of the wisdom of signing players now anyway.

Versatile defensive cover seems sensible. But then we could have Brockbank back who can play two positions, Earl likewise and Edwards. And suddenly we look relatively well stocked.

Given reports suggest we will be hit with another considerable points deduction - is it worth in reality spending money on a season that might possibly be over within the next month in terms of any real chance of a survival fight?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:38 am

...in which case we are better giving Edwards and Zouma (if Keith fancies him which I suspect he doesn’t) more football anyway, as we won’t be able to keep the centre backs we have now on league two wages! Really feck* tough this...the EFL are a right set of c*nts letting this drag on.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:06 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:38 am
the EFL are a right set of c*nts letting this drag on.
Indeed, didn't they have a meeting this week (which decided Bury can't come back next season)? What precisely are they waiting for? It's not just in our interest, but everyone else's. No point banging on about the integrity of the competition then suddenly docking points months afterwards.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:42 am

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:06 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Indeed, didn't they have a meeting this week (which decided Bury can't come back next season)? What precisely are they waiting for? It's not just in our interest, but everyone else's. No point banging on about the integrity of the competition then suddenly docking points months afterwards.
Apparently some of our opponents have been moaning because we haven't been deducted yet. What exactly are they afraid of, twelve points behind everybody already and "lets kick em while they're down" ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:43 am

officer_dibble wrote:
...in which case we are better giving Edwards and Zouma (if Keith fancies him which I suspect he doesn’t) more football anyway, as we won’t be able to keep the centre backs we have now on league two wages! Really feck* tough this...the EFL are a right set of c*nts letting this drag on.
I don't think its a given that we wouldn't be able to keep likes of Hobbs and Wright to be honest. We'll have to see. We will have good attendances for league 2 and I'd fully expect us to be straight back up - acknowledging no division is easy - but with the new found positivity, a management team that seem to know what they are doing and have everyone behind them and the ability to even in embargo probably outspend the division - I don't think it would be a bad season to be a BWFC player.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:42 am
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:06 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Apparently some of our opponents have been moaning because we haven't been deducted yet. What exactly are they afraid of, twelve points behind everybody already and "lets kick em while they're down" ?
The uncertainty suits nobody. I couldn't blame any fan of any club for wondering what the hold-up is.

Our 'relegation rivals' have their own skin in the game and I dare say some of their fans would like to see us punished further. I can't blame them for that. We contravened a Football League rule, and they're more concerned about their club than ours: it's not like a relegation would be a death sentence for this club. What I would say is that the FL would face a bigger and bigger complaint from 'rivals' the later they leave it. Unless they go medieval on us - and let's not forget they docked Birmingham 9pts last season - there will be voices claiming they've gone soft. If they do so in March and we're in with a chance, it'll be a chorus. Furthermore, that very possibility renders their own procedure questionable.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:59 pm

Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:29 pm

Our 'relegation rivals' have their own skin in the game and I dare say some of their fans would like to see us punished further. I can't blame them for that. We contravened a Football League rule, and they're more concerned about their club than ours: it's not like a relegation would be a death sentence for this club. What I would say is that the FL would face a bigger and bigger complaint from 'rivals' the later they leave it. Unless they go medieval on us - and let's not forget they docked Birmingham 9pts last season - there will be voices claiming they've gone soft. If they do so in March and we're in with a chance, it'll be a chorus. Furthermore, that very possibility renders their own procedure questionable./quote]

I think my point was,D.S.B, very much a case of opposition fans forgetting, or purposefully ignoring "There but for the grace of God, go I" factor. The responsibilities for every club lie with the owners first and foremost and what happened to us, and more pointedly (no pun intended) Bury, can just as easily in a short time be any club. Would they be quite so self-righteous if it were them?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:18 pm

Do you know what though, feck it.

Even if we go to -24 points, it'll be great fun taking 3 points off bastards who need the 3 points much more than we do. That's what I'll be cheering for for the rest of the season

We could become the 'rash' team that pisses everyone off. I'd love it :pissed:

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Jugs wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:18 pm
Do you know what though, feck it.

Even if we go to -24 points, it'll be great fun taking 3 points off bastards who need the 3 points much more than we do. That's what I'll be cheering for for the rest of the season

We could become the 'rash' team that pisses everyone off. I'd love it :pissed:
I do think 12 points is on the way but will be reduced on appeal to 6.

They'll be properly fecked off when we stay up by 1 point after getting it reduced.

Set of cnuts the lot of em. Football family my arse.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:20 am

The tactic of hitting clubs with a big penalty that they know will be reduced on appeal is such a pathetic waste of time and resources. The club should aggressively go after the EFL and highlight it's absolute negligence and corruption in letting Harvey get so comfortable with Anderson. Clubs need to force Rick Parry to completely clean house, admit prior failings and name names. Otherwise they'll continue to look like the out of touch bent bastards we know they are right now.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 am

5ft7in Scot who turned 28 in summer. Came through Hearts youth ranks but they did the old "Bolton to Alan Ball" and released him for being too wee.
Just been listening to an interview with Bornemouth's £11.5m from Sheff U, Welsh international midfielder, 5' 8", David Brooks ont' wireless. After being released by City he came to us, and guess we told him :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:29 pm

5ft7in Scot who turned 28 in summer. Came through Hearts youth ranks but they did the old "Bolton to Alan Ball" and released him for being too wee.
Just been listening to an interview with Bornemouth's £11.5m from Sheff U, Welsh international midfielder, 5' 8", David Brooks ont' wireless. After being released by City he came to us, and guess we told him :roll:
What Bill Ridding told/asked Alan Ball: "Have you ever thought about being a jockey?" :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

We also got rid of Aaron Ramsdale who is now Bournemouth’s No.1 No.1

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:21 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

We also got rid of Aaron Ramsdale who is now Bournemouth’s No.1 No.1
We musn't lose sight of the fact, according to some anyway, we have had this fantastically well run expensive youth set up for a good few years. Oh well.