No Jackett Required - Portsmouth (A), 3:00pm, 28 September

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: No Jackett Required - Portsmouth (A), 3:00pm, 28 September

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:51 pm

We're going to be like the girl with a golden curl.

Sadly today wasn't a day where she was very very good.

But for 10 minutes in the 1st half this performance was well below what is going to be needed in this league.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:56 pm

Ah well, on the bright side, I saved a fiver :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:57 pm

We lost.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Lost.

Matthews, great save in the 1st half, poor positioning for their goal.
Hobbs, doesn't trust Zouma and is out of position without pace to recover.
Zouma, tried really hard to make up for last week, tried too hard.
Chicksen, steady but disappeared in the 2nd half.
Lowe, poor today. Played in a similar role to last season. He doesn't like it.
Bridcutts break up of play excellent, distribution, ropy.
Verlinden, class act in the 1st half, 2nd half was put on the right wing and subbed as it didn't work?
Emmanuelle, decent 1st half, didn't get forward as much in the 2nd. Could have done better for their 1st.
Crawford, really good 1st half, ball was launched over and around him in the 2nd half.
D Murphy, really good interplay with Buckley and Verlinden in the 1st half, used as a target man in the 2nd and looked to tire from 70 mins on.
L Murphy. Wonder if this lad knows how to run facing the oppositions goal. Brought on to stop the pressure from Pompey, I just don't know what his position is.
Buckley, played today like he wasn't happy at being put out on the wing. Got stuck in and got in some really good positions, just can't score.
Politic, gave a glimmer of hope when he came on. Needs to simplify the game, ball out instead of the step overs.

I think we didn't play well enough to warrant anything from the game, I might just be grumpy but there needs to be a massive improvement away from home as we'll just keep on notching up the losses.

Oh and there was too much long ball. The best passage of play came from when the ball was on the ground.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:30 pm

I wonder if travelling by coach played a part - presumably we would have flown back in the day? Sounds Jekyll and Hyde first and second half.

Anyway we just keep making the season tougher for ourselves - still the club lives on. That league two tour will be a good un hopefully!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:55 pm

On the upside that's our best away performance this season.

At half time I fancied our chances. We'd got stronger as the half went on and possibly shaded it.

Sadly we offered little in the 2nd half. The ball wasn't sticking up top and with Lowe moved to right back and Verlinden going off, we looked disjointed.

MotM for me was any of Chicksen, Hobbs or Zouma.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:56 pm

It’s match fitness. We have faded in every game. The two home games are easier to manage when tired because against Oxford they didn’t really push too hard to beat us and we had a lead to hang on to against Sunderland.

No point being critical. Squad is not fully up to speed or big enough if we are honest.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:56 pm
Ah well, on the bright side, I saved a fiver :)

:D

I toyed with going, saved a packet!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:49 pm

Decent first half, I thought. Lots of passing on the deck, but a bit lacking in the last third. Pompey were booed off at ht and I assume they got the hairdryer from Jackett as they looked sharper in the 2nd. That, coupled with our lack of match fitness, was enough to give them the 3pts. Not a disgrace and I can see this being a good team in a few games' time. Birdshit (or whatever he's called) MotM for me. Not the finished article, but always looking for the ball and getting stuck in.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 pm

My views are based only on B.N commentary and comments, but as I saw it we should have lost 4 - 3 as it stood. They missed a couple of sitters and missed a penalty, as well as scoring one. We had few scoring chances and even less direct shots at goal. It's early days for the team/squad to settle down, but scoring is something we've been bereft of for too long. I'll be glad of comment and correction on this.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 pm
My views are based only on B.N commentary and comments, but as I saw it we should have lost 4 - 3 as it stood. They missed a couple of sitters and missed a penalty, as well as scoring one. We had few scoring chances and even less direct shots at goal. It's early days for the team/squad to settle down, but scoring is something we've been bereft of for too long. I'll be glad of comment and correction on this.

After the game, my Portsmouth supporting brother-in-law's first comment was, "You didn't have a centre forward". Get that sorted, get match-fit and add a little more depth and we'll be a decent team.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:06 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 pm
Given we’ve scored two league goals all season and two in last 12 or something like that I don’t think many can argue.

Hopefully getting Murphy and O Grady fit can help correct that somewhat.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Enjoyed that. Maybe I’m becoming immune to defeat but there are different ways to lose and that was one of the better ones. In the first half we played with an individual and collective confidence that was almost eyebrow-raising for a team falling off the bottom of the table.

Second half we faded, as we have in almost all games this season, either through youthful exhaustion or lack of match fitness. We must take, and keep, a lead, and it will be interesting to see what happens when we do.

MATTHEWS The admins did well to keep this lad in summer, and not just because of Alnwick’s subsequent problems (absent again yesterday). Made some good saves, as he does. The goal he conceded was the sort of well-placed looping header that sometimes makes keepers look silly, but then goals frequently do: ask Hugo Lloris or Dean Henderson.

EMMANUEL Starting to look at home. Yes, he’s probably better in possession than out of it but let’s take the positive there. Hill seems to want a team where nobody treats the ball as an enemy, and Josh sums this up. Keen to get forward with or without the ball, he adds a muscular energy that poses the opposition a different question.

HOBBS After defeats at Gillingham and Rotherham, questions were asked as to whether Hobbs was any good. He’s not brilliant but he’s solid, mature and growing into the organising role necessary at the back: he marshalled his inexperienced sidekick well. Gave away the penalty trying to tidy an incomplete Emmanuel clearance.

ZOUMA Many were worried about his enforced reinstatement to the defence and he’s certainly got a mistake in him, but the lad did well defensively. He also likes the ball at his feet, whether confidently passing to colleagues or simply, in the absence of suitable alternatives, driving forward with it at his feet: Johan Zouma. He’s not “better than Wheater” or “better than Beevers” but in the long run he may be far more suitable to a Hill team than either of those safety-first Parkinsonian defenders.

CHICKSEN I like this fella. Again, calm on the ball and happy to pop it round rather than whack it forward. Also digs in and works hard in defence. One curious instance in the second half where he went to ground for no discernible reason but otherwise good again. Prime example, perhaps, of Hill and Flicker knowing the lower-league scene enough to spot a good ‘un.

BRIDCUTT A cut(t) above at the base of midfield. Much more of this and our first job must be persuading him to stay past his League-restricted six-month loan, before anyone else notices. Demands the ball, wants to create with it, drops in and helps his defence. Captaincy stuff. When the 800-odd travelling fans sang his name, he notably stopped and cocked an ear. After years in the wilderness, he must feel wanted and loved again. So he should. Faded after the break, as nearly all of them did, and without his arrogance we were notably poorer.

LOWE Curious to see him blossom into a much more rounded player than we imagined possible. Keen in possession, he chased all over the shop for the team, to a fault: booked for a daft lunge on the oppo’s goal-line, he was shunted to right-back (Emmanuel going off for Luke Murphy) and our momentum evaporated.

CRAWFORD In the first half he looked busy and, like almost all of his team mates, was seeking the little 10-yard forward diagonals that take the team up the pitch. Faded after the break, which mirrors a tendency he had at Doncaster to drift out of games; in his defence, he had fewer visible colleagues to bounce off.

BUCKLEY Returned to the wing, and in something more akin to a 4-1-4-1 than the previous 4-3-3; these are subtle differences, I know, but he was somewhat less effective behind the ball than he had been up at the sharp end. Did better after a switch to 4-3-3, meaning he may have been our only player to improve after the break. More importantly, he has improved massively from the player he was. The improvement of he and J-Lowe under new management says a lot.

VERLINDEN The classic winger - tricky, fast, inconsistent. Can beat anyone in this division when he wants, so the challenge is to get him to do it. We certainly looked much more flaccid when he limped off for Politic, who might have felt unlucky to be dropped but found himself in a tiring team chasing the game.

D MURPHY His words and presence speak of the sort of confident striker we haven’t had very often. Won more of his aerial duels than he had a right to, and looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Maybe too much so: for my money he was involved too deep and wide too often. I would have him operating within the width of the 18-yard box, in front of the centre circle, the better to finish moves he helps start. Example was the sweeping first-half move in which he created a break on halfway, whipped in an excellent cross and witnessed Buckley bundle off-target in an explosion of limbs. That’s the sort of chance Daryl would take, and his expression suggested he knew it. Arguably he might have suited Parkinson’s team better than Hill’s but there are goals in this man if we play him right.

Subs: Politic I’ve mentioned above, and in the last five minutes I caught myself wondering why we’d only made one switch. We hadn’t, but the other had been to bring on Luke Murphy. Look, I would love the lad to come good, but whatever confidence serum has been injected into the other survivors of last season’s trauma appears not to have worked on him. Soon after he came on he had the chance from a set piece to get a second ball into the mixer, but he panicked and passed backwards and the chance was gone. I hope his chance hasn’t gone. Cmon Luke.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:54 pm
BUCKLEY...

...More importantly, he has improved massively from the player he was. The improvement of he and J-Lowe under new management says a lot.

By the by, I've only seen Buckley live once, Millwall away, he was our standout player on the day Certainly our most creative outlet and possibly even MoM overall. Clearly the ability has been in there.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Excellent work DSB. Absolutely spot on
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:39 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:06 pm
Lost.

Mate, I'm calling you out on this. If it went in at his near post then fair feck*, However, I'm suggesting that he's got his weight on his right leg, and even if he hasn't, you're honestly expecting him to get across the length of the goal to get to a perfectly looped header. He was merely inches away from it. Way harsh, Buddy.
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:39 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Lost.

Mate, I'm calling you out on this. If it went in at his near post then fair feck*, However, I'm suggesting that he's got his weight on his right leg, and even if he hasn't, you're honestly expecting him to get across the length of the goal to get to a perfectly looped header. He was merely inches away from it. Way harsh, Buddy.
matthews.png
matthews.png (437.47 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
Right foot on the line. Even half a foot off it would have given him an extra chance to save it. The ball bounced on the line and went in. Not off the far post or netting.

Might be being harsh, just an observation.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:39 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Lost.

I don’t think many save that. Our fans have to have someone to pile on. It’s one of those headers that look soft but are rarely saved.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:47 am

Probably looks worse than it is. Having never been a goalkeeper I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Possibly a better goalkeeper would save it but it's no howler. Given how exposed he's been he's bound to make the odd error by law of averages. Sounds like he's plenty more in the plus column this season than minus. And for a skint club with a thin squad I think he's an asset.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:47 am
Probably looks worse than it is. Having never been a goalkeeper I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. Possibly a better goalkeeper would save it but it's no howler. Given how exposed he's been he's bound to make the odd error by law of averages. Sounds like he's plenty more in the plus column this season than minus. And for a skint club with a thin squad I think he's an asset.
Indeed. His distribution is his weakness. I'd still like to get Alnwick back as I think he's a good keeper. But Matthews is fine. I'd put him low on the list for blame for that goal. And ultimately as Hill says we have to start scoring. Conceding one away is no disgrace but if you aren't scoring goals - you won't win games.