Parkinson Leaves

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Parkinson Leaves

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:00 am
Take your blinkers off for once, only Sheff Utd had a better squad than us the season we went up from League 1 - most Bolton fans will applaud him for the way he handled himself under difficult circumstances, but very few will for the football we had to watch.

Look I'm not getting into an argument about Parkinson and this will be my last post on this topic as I'm not wasting anymore time discussing him, most BWFC fans are very happy that he's gone and would not want him back under any circumstances & as I said I wouldn't wish his football on my worst enemy - the football was turgid and you know it. His coaching was concentrated entirely on defence he didn't have a clue how to set the team up to attack teams.

Good luck to him, I wish him well he's a very decent man.
And I don't care about how we play. Hill will be judged on next season and bringing us back up. Anything else will be entirely unsatisfactory, regardless of how we play.

We've played decent football under Hill so far, but scored only twice in the league and not won. Whilst there are mitigating factors for that - I'd rather us be able to grind out 1-0's with less than stellar performances than not win games...

The fact is if we judge managers on results Parky worked wonders here. Lets see where we are in a years time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 am

And I don't care about how we play.
Really? I mean, what's the point of turning up to watch if all you're bothered about is the result? Your physical presence won't alter that. I agree that overall, Parkinson did a tremendous job for us, but his football was that bad that it had me missing games that I'd already paid to see by dint of the weather being inclement.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Take your blinkers off for once, only Sheff Utd had a better squad than us the season we went up from League 1 - most Bolton fans will applaud him for the way he handled himself under difficult circumstances, but very few will for the football we had to watch.

Look I'm not getting into an argument about Parkinson and this will be my last post on this topic as I'm not wasting anymore time discussing him, most BWFC fans are very happy that he's gone and would not want him back under any circumstances & as I said I wouldn't wish his football on my worst enemy - the football was turgid and you know it. His coaching was concentrated entirely on defence he didn't have a clue how to set the team up to attack teams.

And I don't care about how we play. Hill will be judged on next season and bringing us back up. Anything else will be entirely unsatisfactory, regardless of how we play.

We've played decent football under Hill so far, but scored only twice in the league and not won. Whilst there are mitigating factors for that - I'd rather us be able to grind out 1-0's with less than stellar performances than not win games...

The fact is if we judge managers on results Parky worked wonders here. Lets see where we are in a years time.
This isn't true all the time. We had some wonderful results under Allardcye but in the 06/07 season, despite the good results, fans were turning on him because the football was as dire as it ever had been.

Megson, meanwhile, got us some terrific results but the fans still hated him because of his character.

In PP's case - got us up, kept us up once, but let's face it very little over the last 2 years was enjoyable, on or off the pitch. And he almost fecked it away at Burton by being ultra defensive as usual.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:40 am

Jugs wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

This isn't true all the time. We had some wonderful results under Allardcye but in the 06/07 season, despite the good results, fans were turning on him because the football was as dire as it ever had been.

Megson, meanwhile, got us some terrific results but the fans still hated him because of his character.

In PP's case - got us up, kept us up once, but let's face it very little over the last 2 years was enjoyable, on or off the pitch. And he almost fecked it away at Burton by being ultra defensive as usual.
What isn't true all the time? I care about results not much else. If we get results playing beautiful stuff then all's the better. But generally its the end result.

Next season its promotion that matters. If we get there Parky style I don't care. If we get there sweeping all before us with tiki taka great. But if we play good stuff and miss out - then its not good enough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

And I don't care about how we play.
Really? I mean, what's the point of turning up to watch if all you're bothered about is the result? Your physical presence won't alter that. I agree that overall, Parkinson did a tremendous job for us, but his football was that bad that it had me missing games that I'd already paid to see by dint of the weather being inclement.
Its fair enough. I enjoy when we win. Not when we lose. Good football in my view is a bit subjective anyway. But whilst people may initially bask in being attack minded but losing 3-2 or whatever it doesn't last as the Coyle experience shows.

I enjoyed the first two season's Parky was here more than any in recent times because we were successful and both ended in pitch invasions. I'd take that over 8th place, but "we played lovely stuff". Just me. Not saying its the same for everyone.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:40 am
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

What isn't true all the time? I care about results not much else. If we get results playing beautiful stuff then all's the better. But generally its the end result.

Next season its promotion that matters. If we get there Parky style I don't care. If we get there sweeping all before us with tiki taka great. But if we play good stuff and miss out - then its not good enough.
That we judge managers on results.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am

Jugs wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:40 am
Jugs wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

That we judge managers on results.
I said if. But I think we do in all cases eventually - if Hill has us near bottom of league two then don't care how good his talk is or his intended football - our fans will be judging!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am

I said if. But I think we do in all cases eventually - if Hill has us near bottom of league two then don't care how good his talk is or his intended football - our fans will be judging!
There you go again making sweeping statements for the masses! How do you know what the fans will think or judge? I can respect your personal views, but let the rest speak for themselves. If you'd said "some of our fans might be judging" I could understand it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

There you go again making sweeping statements for the masses! How do you know what the fans will think or judge? I can respect your personal views, but let the rest speak for themselves. If you'd said "some of our fans might be judging" I could understand it.
Ok some. I suspect reality is just not that many would be turning up to watch in that circumstance. Whether judging or not.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:32 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:27 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Ok some. I suspect reality is just not that many would be turning up to watch in that circumstance. Whether judging or not.
Je vois la vie en rose..... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Sunderland drew an extraordinary number of games under Ross - I think more than 91 teams last season. Similar this. If he can tighten them up a little without losing potency, then it’s a great appointment for them and him. I’m sure it will all collapse next season in the Champo but that’s a better class of problem than they (or indeed we) have at the moment.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm
Sunderland drew an extraordinary number of games under Ross - I think more than 91 teams last season. Similar this. If he can tighten them up a little without losing potency, then it’s a great appointment for them and him. I’m sure it will all collapse next season in the Champo but that’s a better class of problem than they (or indeed we) have at the moment.
Their problem if they go up - is like ours - owners who can just about keep the lights on but their plan was quick promotion then sale....they can't fund a championship season properly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:18 pm

I remember the last months of Allardyce's reign being absolutely turgid, but ultimately successful. The worst thing as far as spectators were concerned was that we'd go one up in the first 10 minutes, which then just became the opposition vs a ten-man phalanx. However, we were all glad of the three points at the end. Difficult one.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:18 pm
I remember the last months of Allardyce's reign being absolutely turgid, but ultimately successful. The worst thing as far as spectators were concerned was that we'd go one up in the first 10 minutes, which then just became the opposition vs a ten-man phalanx. However, we were all glad of the three points at the end. Difficult one.
It was a different scenario you had 20K fans on many of whom were getting fed up and a manager clearly who'd lost interest in the club. So I think there was a sense of ennui all round the place - but it didn't really have an outlet.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 pm
Their problem if they go up - is like ours - owners who can just about keep the lights on but their plan was quick promotion then sale....they can't fund a championship season properly.
...hence hiring the guy who kept a team up without spending a penny (not at the bogs, unless LeverEnd knows better :D )

Parkinsonian football is obviously deeply divisive, and understandably so, but what I will say about his era is this: thinking back to that first season, I can’t remember a time when I have been so confident that any Bolton side would retain a lead. I went to a number of away games that season, more than I have in decades, and when we went one-nil up I (usually) totally relaxed in a way I can’t recall ever happening before.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Quite simple in my view. Parkinson was the right manager for the time and circumstances. Ultimately he was never going to take us further or delight us on the pitch, but I doubt many managers would have been able to arrest the slide in those circumstances. I'll be forever grateful for him and wish him well in the future.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:22 pm

Parkys a good man and I wish him well. However his is the only promotion season I've witnessed (vs Greaves, Neal, Rioch, Todd and Allardyces) where for huge swathes of the season our football was dour and uninspiring.

Ultimately though, he got us up in difficult circumstances and for talk of us having the 2nd best squad in the division? Have a look back just prior to that season and see who was confident that side would get promoted. There weren't many!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 pm

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 pm
...hence hiring the guy who kept a team up without spending a penny (not at the bogs, unless LeverEnd knows better :D )

Parkinsonian football is obviously deeply divisive, and understandably so, but what I will say about his era is this: thinking back to that first season, I can’t remember a time when I have been so confident that any Bolton side would retain a lead. I went to a number of away games that season, more than I have in decades, and when we went one-nil up I (usually) totally relaxed in a way I can’t recall ever happening before.
I never had the pleasure.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:02 pm

As luck would have it Parky thinks Dr Death aka Nick Allamby would be a good appointment 😂

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:02 pm
As luck would have it Parky thinks Dr Death aka Nick Allamby would be a good appointment 😂
Aye, seems Hill told Iles that he expects approaches for Allamby and GK coach Lee Butler. If they go, they go.