Rugby World Cup (RWC 19)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Rugby World Cup (RWC 19)

Post by taddyontoast » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:59 pm
Anybody who really knows rugby prepared to comment on England's 35-3 win over Tonga? My limited knowledge of the game can't compete with folk brought up with the sport (which I think you must be to truly understand it) I know a lot more than I once did and rarely miss England games on T.V (which sort of confuses thing further when you start asking questions) but not enough to give expert opinion. Tonga were a team of muscle warriors (but they only got in our 22 once in the game) who fought for everything, but our lads (errors apart) seemed to play quite well. I'll happily listen to ( and hopefully learn from) other opinions? Any takers....?
I wouldn't pretend to great expertise - I played up to University level but no9t beyond - and that was decades ago when it was a very different game! but...

I don't think there's a simple verdict to come out of that...

good points... didn't look close to conceding a try... got the bonus point... didn't sustain any serious injury (unlike Scotland)

poor points... some sloppiness meant we missed opportunities (against better teams you can't afford to waste opportunities - but, this wasn't a better team!)... too many handling errors... a few too many penalties given away in dangerous areas for my liking...

Folk more expert than me (Matt dawson et al) have given England a bit of a hammering and they have some good points - though I'm not convinced it was such a giant mistake not to go toe-to-toe in the clashing tanks game.. Dawson would not have been laughing had Tuilangi got injured... also - we did use muscle to good effect when the opportunity arose. I thought the kicking game was quite a clever strategy and didn't allow the Tongans to settle into a big beefy confrontation which would have fired them up...

so - far from perfect - could have been better - but first game of the tournament and everything we needed was achieved. We have more in us, I have no doubt, but absolutely no advantage to show it all against Tonga - ditto USA next time round... I'm quite happy! :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:24 pm

England 45 U.S.A 7. The cousin's try scored in the very last seconds. Commentator made a remark that the ball was very slippy. Judging from the handling errors it was made of ice. Good win against a tough determined side who didn't give any quarter. Owen Farrell was immense amongst a good team display. Yanks rightly got a red card for a real bad challenge on Owen Farrell and also lost a player to a serious looking exit.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 am

Well, we dispatched the Yanks, but Japan beat Ireland.. :shock:
South Africa v Namibia is looking a bit like Barry M cGuigan v Mike Tyson...Great tournament so far, but are the South African supporters going a bit over the top with their Japanese mimicking celebrations?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:36 pm

Anybody following the World Cup? Some really entertaining games and a few surprises. We took maximum points from the first three games, but it's going to get tougher now. The All Blacks are in awesome form and we'll have to be petty exceptional to will this cup. Japanese are a real surprise and took out Samoa today.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Am I biased or worse, racist because I don't like Welsh Wales? I have had these disturbing feelings in the past when names like Yorath, Bellamy,Giggs, Rush and Savage etc, were mentioned in football , but now it's all Jones and Williams and such that make the hairs on the back of my neck prickle. They should adopt a new logo " Advantage Wales" sponsored by the Rugby Referees Association in honour of the amount of penalties, cheat line outs (ball regularly going backwards) and just about every 50-50 penalty call ever going their way. I don't really see us ( England) winning the World Cup, but sincerely hope the Oz, Kiwis and Springboks beat the shxt out of the leek loving lot. I'll cheer Ireland on, but never the Cardiff lot. Yes, I think I'm biased, but am I being racist? ...

The wife is a born Scouser with a strong Welsh heritage family, so I may get away with that bit ; neither type known for being exactly doyens of the English language (T.V actor Glyn Owen ( R.I.P) was her cousin) so she tends to disagree with me, just because they had to read "The Rules of Rugby" in school instead of Peter Pan and Hans Christian Anderson like normal folk. I bet they thought Hereward the Wake was a knocker-up from Wigan. Any road, I don't like their rugby players. :oyea:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Have the Jocks superceded the Yanks as our globe's most litigious nation!

"Yes, we read your terms and conditions. Yes, we signed the agreement. Yes, we now wish to challenge that we ever agreed to this."

F*cking wankers.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm

"Yes, we read your terms and conditions. Yes, we signed the agreement. Yes, we now wish to challenge that we ever agreed to this."

F*cking wankers.
After all their complaining about the game potentially being cancelled they’ve made a bloody pigs ear of actually playing it 😂

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:41 pm

If it had been cancelled at least they could have reverted to their default position.

"Whinge, whinge, whine, whine...."

As it is they're just a bunch of tossers.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Well, it's "Will ye no come back again" for this cup. Japan have excelled themselves and surprised many. Trying to play bulldozers with Scotland was a mistake, but their defence stood up well. More surprises to come?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Two cracking games as England beat the Oz 40-16 and reach the semis, but Ireland get walloped by the All Blacks and are on their way home. . Great win by us, but an awesome display of speed, power and great rugby by the New Zealanders.
Wales should see off France tomorrow and Japan will explode if the home boys can beat South Africa. Cracking entertainment.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 am

I'm certainly enjoying it!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 am
I'm certainly enjoying it!
Wales squeeked through by a nose over France and The Springbok beef was too much for the Sushi boys in the end. A real physical walloper of a game but Japan were their own worst enemies second half. Did they win one of their line-outs? It was a bit of a bully boy show in the end. so..

Wales v the Springboks now, and we have to take on New Zealand next weekend. Should be ding dong with a world cup at stake.

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:02 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:41 pm

F*cking wankers.
Enoch wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:41 pm
If it had been cancelled at least they could have reverted to their default position.

"Whinge, whinge, whine, whine...."

As it is they're just a bunch of tossers.
:| think that might be simplifying the whole thing, just a smidge.

In the end, beaten fair 'n square by Japan and well done to them. The Italy call-off was a disgrace though and World Rugby's robust contingency talk was a load of guff, if I may say so. They had years to prepare. In the middle of typhoon season etc.

The safest play was to make some guarded comments about 'don't you dare call this game off, you chancers', frankly. As World Rugby are an amateurish bunch of chancers.

Although not so different from the SRU, in other words.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm

Although I'm going to watch us take on the All Blacks full of hope and joie de vivre , I confess to worrying somewhat in the backgound, because they are such a good rugby side in every respect. It has to be tough in any semi final, but they don't come any tougher than this. ae:)

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:04 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm
Although I'm going to watch us take on the All Blacks full of hope and joie de vivre , I confess to worrying somewhat in the backgound, because they are such a good rugby side in every respect. It has to be tough in any semi final, but they don't come any tougher than this. ae:)
Well best of luck from me. All Blacks need taking down a peg or two, figure you're the guys to do it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:50 pm

Jakerbeef wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:04 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 pm
Well best of luck from me. All Blacks need taking down a peg or two, figure you're the guys to do it.
Cheers Buddy and sincerely hope so. Clock's ticking now. Am I imagining things or has Owen Farrell banged on a pound or two lately?

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:34 pm

If by pound or two, you mean 'opposing fly halves after the ball is long gone' then uh, yeah. :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Don't know what you're on about. He's been in the end of some absolutely horrendous hits recently that have in no way at all been 'coming'.

Big fan of Farrell and Ford being the playmaking pivot of the poncy southern version :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:33 am

Englsh Haka..
We must win our line outs!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.....! :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:40 am

The one crucial line out we gave them on a plate was ten feet from our try line and they walked over for a try. Beyond that England were immense in ever department and every man in a white shirt can be proud. Magnificent 19-7 win (with two iffy tries canceled, the second I thought that wrong about) We beat the World Champs fair and square and are in the World Cup Final.... :pray: :pray: :pray: